Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-20-2022, 07:42 AM

14,416 posts, read 22,480,960 times

Advertisements

I think I want a nose job. I have a wider nose and I want a smaller, thinner one. What is the process? If you have had this done, what did you do?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2022, 08:42 AM

4,852 posts, read 3,645,388 times
If you are doing your research, don't forget teaching hospitals may do surgery with third year residents along side a practicing plastic surgeon.

I had some work done at John's Hopkins in Baltimore for a significantly reduced price long ago. I had four procedures and was very pleased with all of them.

Old 04-20-2022, 11:20 AM

2,528 posts, read 2,777,621 times
I can't speak to the cost as mine was done through insurance when I was 16 (now 75). I had a badly deviated septum - basically couldn't breathe through one nostril. I had a very unattractive nose as a result of the deviation so the shape was modified at the same time. So if your doctor finds a reason why it is medically necessary you might qualify for a covered procedure.

The recovery was easy. Just expect two black eyes and swelling. I don't remember it being terribly painful and I'm sort of a wimp. So glad I did it!

I like the idea of a teaching hospital. Hopefully there's one near you.

Old 04-20-2022, 06:26 PM

14,416 posts, read 22,480,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by movinon View Post
I can't speak to the cost as mine was done through insurance when I was 16 (now 75). I had a badly deviated septum - basically couldn't breathe through one nostril. I had a very unattractive nose as a result of the deviation so the shape was modified at the same time. So if your doctor finds a reason why it is medically necessary you might qualify for a covered procedure.

The recovery was easy. Just expect two black eyes and swelling. I don't remember it being terribly painful and I'm sort of a wimp. So glad I did it!

I like the idea of a teaching hospital. Hopefully there's one near you.
My nose works perfectly fine. This would purely be for "vanity" reasons.
I live in Chicago and I actuall work for a large teaching hospital and will soon work for an even bigger one. So I appreciate the recommendation.

Old 04-21-2022, 07:56 AM

18,526 posts, read 18,744,531 times
Why not go to Turkey.. if thats possible..my daughter is there just now having work done and its more than half the price than the UK..

Old 04-21-2022, 11:45 AM

11,050 posts, read 6,639,868 times
A well-received book by a plastic surgeon says a nose job (in particular) should not be done after 40 since by that time, you are too "used" to your nose and it would be too much of a shock.

So you might ask about that. I've had several procedures for comfort reasons and 1/2 were fine, 1/2 were very disappointing and a waste of big money.

Not sure about Turkey. Lots of conflict going on there. My missionary relatives got kicked out.

We WERE going to go there, before Covid. Izmir looked lovely.

Old 04-21-2022, 12:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sand&Salt View Post
A well-received book by a plastic surgeon says a nose job (in particular) should not be done after 40 since by that time, you are too "used" to your nose and it would be too much of a shock.

So you might ask about that. I've had several procedures for comfort reasons and 1/2 were fine, 1/2 were very disappointing and a waste of big money.

Not sure about Turkey. Lots of conflict going on there. My missionary relatives got kicked out.

We WERE going to go there, before Covid. Izmir looked lovely.
The clinic my daughter visits from her hotel looks beautiful.. with all the latest surgical methods..

Old 04-21-2022, 12:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by glass_of_merlot View Post
I think I want a nose job. I have a wider nose and I want a smaller, thinner one. What is the process? If you have had this done, what did you do?
I think if its the bone thats the problem it gets shaved down but not really sure.

Old 04-21-2022, 05:15 PM

1,904 posts, read 1,044,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dizzybint View Post
Why not go to Turkey.. if thats possible..my daughter is there just now having work done and its more than half the price than the UK..

Wow... very brave of your daughter !

No concerns about over-seas surgery in Turkey?

Old 04-21-2022, 07:13 PM

283 posts, read 163,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dizzybint View Post
I think if its the bone thats the problem it gets shaved down but not really sure.

It did for me. 50 years later I remember the doctor saying "hit me" and then I felt a tap. That didnt go on long. The gas passer must have detected my semi conscious self and turned his dials a bit.

My 11 year older brother blessed me with a deviated septum and earlier a chip off one of my front teeth.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty