Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-31-2022, 04:41 PM

50,366 posts, read 63,948,892 times

Advertisements

I went to a plastic surgeon about a nose job a long time ago...in my 40s. He started talking about a chin thing, which is not what I was there for, and the cost was $2500. Too bad I didn’t do it.
Fast forward to now.

I’m an old and have some eyebag issues, but i couldn’t care less about being beautiful, because it’s all about genetics anyway.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2022, 04:45 PM

15,143 posts, read 27,776,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oh-eve View Post
yeah, what is that supposed to mean? I had two procedures and it still doesn't look the way I wanted and I don't know why the hell, my nose is still too big/wide. If I tell them, TWICE to make it slim and they don't do it, does that mean it was not possible? Why not? And why did they not say so? Both did not give me a real answer when I asked why my nose is still wide. Why did they not just tell me that's all they can do? I am sure if I go somewhere again (which I won't, I spent enough money on that darn thing), they will say they are able to shave off some more. So how come, they do so many procedures but with the nose (or at least mine), they are not able to make it nice and slim and f** it up TWICE?
Asking for the impossible??

Old 05-31-2022, 07:45 PM

9,297 posts, read 4,577,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oh-eve View Post
yeah, what is that supposed to mean? I had two procedures and it still doesn't look the way I wanted and I don't know why the hell, my nose is still too big/wide. If I tell them, TWICE to make it slim and they don't do it, does that mean it was not possible? Why not? And why did they not say so? Both did not give me a real answer when I asked why my nose is still wide. Why did they not just tell me that's all they can do? I am sure if I go somewhere again (which I won't, I spent enough money on that darn thing), they will say they are able to shave off some more. So how come, they do so many procedures but with the nose (or at least mine), they are not able to make it nice and slim and f** it up TWICE?

I’m sorry you aren’t happy with your nose or the surgeries you had. What I meant to the O.P. is that it’s standard procedure for a reputable board certified plastic surgeon to go over expectations & to discuss what they can or can’t realistically do. There is a limit to how much the basic structure of a nose can change AND the thickness of epidermal skin can make a super big difference in how it heals. Skill & technique too ofc.

Old 05-31-2022, 08:39 PM

6,454 posts, read 3,974,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flamingo13 View Post
Asking for the impossible??
Quote:
Originally Posted by TashaPosh View Post
I’m sorry you aren’t happy with your nose or the surgeries you had. What I meant to the O.P. is that it’s standard procedure for a reputable board certified plastic surgeon to go over expectations & to discuss what they can or can’t realistically do. There is a limit to how much the basic structure of a nose can change AND the thickness of epidermal skin can make a super big difference in how it heals. Skill & technique too ofc.
Then wouldn't you'd think they'd say so? Do they seriously look at a patient and think, "I can't do what they want, but I'll say I can and maybe they won't notice I didn't do what they asked or if they do, maybe they won't say anything, cause I don't want to deal with disappointing them by being honest"?

Old 06-01-2022, 05:28 AM

2,117 posts, read 1,458,867 times
I think there is a limit to how much change cosmetic surgery can do. Unless someone bends the slope and looks like a freak (which is not attractive or normal looking - the human barbie dolls for instance), a person's basic structure is what it is.

If you look at a before picture of Kim Kardashian and compare with an after, her nose was always small.
If you can find an un photoshopped pic of Khloe Kardashian, a before and after, her nose has remained wide and flat even with several surgeries. (She photoshops her vids and pics and her promo team watches her image so she does not resemble herself, you would have to find a recent fan pic of her)
Megan Fox before and after surgery look pretty similar. No major changes.

And so on.
These people have the money to afford the best surgeons.

At some point, changing the structure of a nose can do serious damage to that structure and it can collapse.

Look up Vishal Thakkar NOSE JOB (there are several V Thakkers out there) if you want to see a horror show of a man who started out good looking and wanted to keep refining his nose until it was "just right."

There is only so much one can do with the basic structure of a body part without going into a realm that is dangerous.

Old 06-01-2022, 08:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by K12144 View Post
Then wouldn't you'd think they'd say so? Do they seriously look at a patient and think, "I can't do what they want, but I'll say I can and maybe they won't notice I didn't do what they asked or if they do, maybe they won't say anything, cause I don't want to deal with disappointing them by being honest"?

IMO a reputable board certified surgeon wouldn’t say or do that. One of the biggest steps for the O.P.’s nose job, if she decides to do it….is who does it. It’s that way for any procedure tho.

Tbh, it’s not something I would ever do. It’s not that I think my nose is perfect…but it’s perfect for me & my face. I’ve seen a couple nose jobs that just look like nose jobs. It doesn’t look natural or the shape changed & it doesn’t match their face. That’s how a consultation about expectations can help. So O.P….just be careful it’s what you really want & it’s the doctor you want.

Old 06-01-2022, 10:13 AM

13,714 posts, read 12,427,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TashaPosh View Post
IMO a reputable board certified surgeon wouldn’t say or do that. One of the biggest steps for the O.P.’s nose job, if she decides to do it….is who does it. It’s that way for any procedure tho.

Tbh, it’s not something I would ever do. It’s not that I think my nose is perfect…but it’s perfect for me & my face. I’ve seen a couple nose jobs that just look like nose jobs. It doesn’t look natural or the shape changed & it doesn’t match their face. That’s how a consultation about expectations can help. So O.P….just be careful it’s what you really want & it’s the doctor you want.
Yeah...there are things that they can do well, and things they (apparently) can't. Length seems a lot easier to reduce than width. Making it symetrical/centered, removing a big bump or a hook, turning the convex into a concave slope, seems to yield better results. But I see way too many people that (IMO) go from the convex to a concave slope on a nose that's otherwise symetrical and sized appropriately to their face and it looks, like a nose job.

Old 06-01-2022, 10:28 AM

O.P…leave it up to a discussion with a board certified plastic surgeon. Have a consultation to talk about your expectations & if it’s possible. The worst thing you could do is lean on what ppl say in a forum…if you are serious about a 1st step. It’s not the time to follow the crowd. Well…no time is good to follow a crowd. It’s like buying a house….everybody has a different opinion, but it’s going to make sense for some ppl with the right situation.

I work for a board certified plastic surgeon group, and there are ppl who come in for a consultation & decide against it….or for second opinions. It’s your face & you have to decide what is best for you.

Old 06-01-2022, 10:59 AM

24,100 posts, read 32,460,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by glass_of_merlot View Post
My nose works perfectly fine. This would purely be for "vanity" reasons.
I live in Chicago and I actuall work for a large teaching hospital and will soon work for an even bigger one. So I appreciate the recommendation.
In your case, they most likely will not need to break the bone. Probably the procedures will involve two things - narrowing the base of your nose where the nostrils meet the upper lip, and sculpting the cartilage, while reducing the amount of cartilage, for a more slender appearance.

I second teaching hospitals. Cost varies as to location. The only problem with teaching hospitals is that they have to need to teach what it is you want to treat. If they are teaching regular rhinoplasty, which is much more prevalent, you could have to wait.

While I personally never had a nose job, many of my friends did in high school. The procedure to sculpt a wide nose is less costly.

If I were you, I'd get a free consultation with a local cosmetic surgeon. Actually, get a few. Compare prices. Get someone Board Certified.
Most cosmetic surgeons have some form of financing available.

Good luck!

Old 06-01-2022, 02:07 PM

20,758 posts, read 19,964,416 times
I think they only break the bone if the nose is not straight.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty