Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-28-2010, 07:07 PM

1,054 posts, read 3,861,089 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by laorbust61 View Post
Clean pressed clothes that match and fit well are now considered fancy?
You mean people still own irons? I thought I was the only one who did.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2010, 07:19 PM

1,054 posts, read 3,861,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by koomomma View Post
"Yes. I see no reason to dress up when it doesn't change the person underneath.

All it leads to is snobbishness against those who actually could not AFFORD to dress up fancy."

I TOTALLY AGREE with the above statement.
I agree too. I do believe people should cover their bodies and not be showing skin, underwear and their privates. And its nice if they don't have B.O. and greasy hair. However I think its wrong to suggest formal clothes and heels for women. Especially in this economy people don't have money for fancy clothes especially if their work clothes are non-formal stuff since not everyone works in an office. Then there's the unemployed, seniors and disabled who just don't have money for clothes and even the overweight who cannot always find nice clothes to fit. And heels... all I can say is not every woman is a foo-foo girl and doctors highly suggest women DON'T wear heels because it causes back problems and foot deformities. Ever seen the barefeet of a woman who wears dress shoes very much? Talk about freakin ugly deformed feet.

I think the older gen will be screaming till they turn blue they won't ever force Gen Y or the Millenials to dress formal. Those days are gone. Clothes that need ironing are gone. Just don't show me your thongs, your underwear, butt, boobs or armpit, chest or back hair and I'm fine. Too each his own opinion though.

PS: I'm a Gen X'er myself and agree the leggings trend needs to be banished back into the closet too. It was the bad first time around.

Old 04-28-2010, 07:24 PM

3,588 posts, read 5,730,857 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtneer View Post
Nope, you're not. I love that freshly pressed look. Classic.

Old 04-28-2010, 08:42 PM

13,285 posts, read 15,310,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtneer View Post
Never owned an iron. Never ironed a single piece of clothing. Never intend on doing so.

Old 04-28-2010, 09:20 PM

1,066 posts, read 1,560,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by koomomma View Post
"Yes. I see no reason to dress up when it doesn't change the person underneath.

All it leads to is snobbishness against those who actually could not AFFORD to dress up fancy."

I TOTALLY AGREE with the above statement.
The funny thing is that it's not expensive to dress nicely. All you need is a sense of style and a little creativity. Can't afford a $1000 suit? Buy a $150 one and have it tailored. Banana Republic, Kenneth Cole, and the like too expensive? Take a trip out to the outlet mall locations. Hit Old Navy, H&M, Filene's, etc. if necessary. Not to mention you can find a lot of high-quality items at consignment stores if you hunt around.

Old 04-29-2010, 02:40 AM

3,393 posts, read 5,280,698 times
This thread is grossing me out!

Old 04-29-2010, 03:00 AM

10,214 posts, read 17,885,184 times
Once again, casual, sloppy, unhygienic and revealing privates are not all synonymous. Wearing a tank and sandals when it's 80-90 degrees out doesn't mean I show off my underwear and privates. Wearing jeans and a tshirt to the food store doesn't mean I wear baggy, sloppy clothes. And none of it means I'm unhygienic. I wear what I am comfortable in and as long as I am clean, well groomed and my clothes fit me, I see no reason why someone should care what I wear on a daily basis, casual or not. And as long as I dress appropriately for the right occasions, I also see no reason why someone should care so much what I'm wearing.

People are entitled not to shower. But you have to accept the fact that if you smell, that's going to offend others and there's nothing wrong with their reaction. It's not prejudice, it's human nature. We have a sense of smell for a reason and we avoid bad smells for a reason - argue all you want, it's not going to change.

Old 04-29-2010, 03:12 AM

44,259 posts, read 64,384,306 times
As long as you are clean, you don't smell, and all the appropriate body parts are covered, I could give a @#$@#$#'s $)*)#*# what you wear.

Old 04-29-2010, 09:07 AM

1,397 posts, read 4,846,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shizzles View Post
I figured this would be an interesting discussion for a Tuesday. When you stop and think about it, do you like the fact America is largley a casual nation in terms of dress. Do you wish we were somewhat more formal in some respects. Discuss
No. I love the fact America is largely a casual nation. I'm from Serbia, Europe, and over there people dress up even when they take out trash!!!I had to make sure I looked "perfect" at all times - make up and all. I'm much more relaxed here, in USA. I dress up when I go out somewhere with my husband, to a nice dinner etc. But I do not dress up when I go to a grocery store for example.Where as in Serbia, I would've had to, otherwise people would look at me funny.

Old 04-29-2010, 12:00 PM

27,232 posts, read 46,668,826 times
I had a girlfriend who was about 4'8". She had to shop for capris to find pants that didn't pool at the ankles. They weren't "short" for her at all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty