Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-07-2011, 08:53 PM

1,268 posts, read 3,000,102 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by chopchop0 View Post
The fact is, big government created this mess, and it sure as heck isn't going to get us out of it.
IMHO, our belief that we are entitled to have the big car, the house, the multiple TVs, the laptop AND desktop, the lifetime retirement, the social security, unemployment, medicare and medicaid. That mindset is what our country is all about. Less work for more pay.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2011, 08:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maggi07 View Post
So if you don't agree, write and call your congresspeople and tell them what *you* think. There are Tea Party rallies, go find one of those.
Please don't make false assumptions about me. WOW. There I go again!

Old 03-07-2011, 10:54 PM

22,584 posts, read 54,285,430 times
Yes, it happened all over the country. I didn't feel like they were singling out the area or Florida. In fact, they say it is a national issue.

It was good to see the piece, though. There are far too many people that move to that area thinking they are going to get a job at Disney and live the dream. Of course, I wonder how many of the people that NEED to see that segment actually watch "60 Minutes."

Comsense, they also mentioned Casselberry.

Old 03-08-2011, 05:28 PM

12,017 posts, read 14,323,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OrlFlaUsa View Post
Cutting education without a viable alternative in place is immoral, don't pretend otherwise. And ChopChop, deregulation led to the collapse of the greatest economy on earth, don't pretend otherwise either. You guys are entitled to your opinions, but please look up what is actually true.
deregulation?? What kind of deregulation allows the federal reserve to manipulate money supply and interest rates how it sees fit?? The federal reserve is the most perverted form of REGULATION out there.

Old 03-08-2011, 05:39 PM

8,963 posts, read 8,919,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hiknapster View Post
Yes, it happened all over the country. I didn't feel like they were singling out the area or Florida. In fact, they say it is a national issue.

It was good to see the piece, though. There are far too many people that move to that area thinking they are going to get a job at Disney and live the dream. Of course, I wonder how many of the people that NEED to see that segment actually watch "60 Minutes."

Comsense, they also mentioned Casselberry.

Yup, you're right!

Old 03-08-2011, 05:56 PM

5,662 posts, read 10,743,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OrlFlaUsa View Post
Cutting education without a viable alternative in place is immoral, don't pretend otherwise.
I know we have pretty much beat this to death but I just want to mention a couple more things to consider. Last year's budget for education included money from the stimulus plan that is no longer available to the state. You can't spend money you don't have. Part of the proposed cuts include cuts to pensions (this affects my wife) but let's be honest here. Only government employees (mostly union employees by the way) receive retirement benefits that are not in some way partially funded from their incomes. All of us taxpayers, working men and women, pay for their retirement plans and many of these people double-dip. I'm sorry for all of those people who were told they could expect these benefits but times and situations change. We have never, ever, been in the situation we are in now and pretending that we are able to carry on as usual is an absurd approach to the problem. It's not like anyone wants to hurt workers or students or whomever.

Old 03-08-2011, 05:57 PM

3,426 posts, read 8,908,318 times
Will they replay this ep?

Old 03-08-2011, 06:25 PM

12,017 posts, read 14,323,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pear Martini View Post
Will they replay this ep?
Homeless children: the hard times generation - 60 Minutes - CBS News

Old 03-09-2011, 05:27 PM

5,023 posts, read 7,225,857 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bbronston View Post
All of us taxpayers, working men and women, pay for their retirement plans and many of these people double-dip. I'm sorry for all of those people who were told they could expect these benefits but times and situations change. We have never, ever, been in the situation we are in now and pretending that we are able to carry on as usual is an absurd approach to the problem. It's not like anyone wants to hurt workers or students or whomever.
Government employees are taxpayers, too. I know because I am one-I pay almost 9% of my pay towards my retirement, insurance costs over $300 a month for me alone, I make substantially less than I would in the private sector, I won't collect Social Security, I work in conditions that would make your head spin. Not only do I do it for a paycheck, I do it because I'm making a difference.

I get real tired of this nouveau chant of the neo-cons that we're all parasites and leeches. Just because someone is in a work situation that's less than desirable doesn't mean they have to bring everyone else down to their level. Don't try to make low pay and no benefits the new normal. People will take only so much and it WILL backfire.

As far as "not wanting to hurt workers or students or whomever"-that's EXACTLY what this new breed of neo-cons want.

Old 03-09-2011, 05:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vaughanwilliams View Post
Government employees are taxpayers, too. I know because I am one.
I am interested in this. So, is it only politicians that get free health care for life and full retirement after serving one term?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida