Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-26-2014, 12:18 AM

61 posts, read 166,046 times

Advertisements

It shouldnt take more than 150 to get there . I'm in a van or else it would be less.
I am on my cell phone not at library. I had my cell phone before I became homeless its not new and I have a past due bill on it so no one thinks I wasted money on a phone this phone is my life line.
My only family is my mom and she has liver failure and has no money so she can't help me.
I cant sale my car I owe too much on it.I owe more than its worth. Selling it is not realistic. I've sold everything else I own to keep a float this long.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2014, 04:53 PM

8,963 posts, read 8,919,924 times
I will match whatever anyone will put up. I wanna help.

Old 03-26-2014, 05:34 PM

So far not many people have stepped forward as you have to offer help but i guess the problem is its hard getting the word out when you are in a place where there are so many people in same boat. I am screaming and trying but I feel voiceless. I do have 1 item left to sale I have it listed on Craig's list even. Its a 26" Polaroid lcd TV and it works I was asking 50 for it. I really am trying to get myself out of this situation but without help its almost impossible. I set up an online donation fundraiser and not a single penny raised. I don't know what more I can do and if you are willing to help inbox me on how to contact you.

Old 03-27-2014, 04:33 PM

let me know where and i will personally pay and pump the gas to help you. i work in construction projects mainly in East Orlando. i want you to be able to get back to your family in GA.

Old 03-27-2014, 06:07 PM

153 posts, read 357,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by riverfamga View Post
So far not many people have stepped forward as you have to offer help but i guess the problem is its hard getting the word out when you are in a place where there are so many people in same boat. I am screaming and trying but I feel voiceless. I do have 1 item left to sale I have it listed on Craig's list even. Its a 26" Polaroid lcd TV and it works I was asking 50 for it. I really am trying to get myself out of this situation but without help its almost impossible. I set up an online donation fundraiser and not a single penny raised. I don't know what more I can do and if you are willing to help inbox me on how to contact you.
My heart goes out to you riverfamga. Having had our lowest low point as a family of five a few years back, I know how hard things can seem to be. Keep in mind that theres only one thing that separates someone who stays in the hole and someone who gets out of it ... your mindset. Getting back on your feet is a domino effect once it gets started, so you need to hold it together now and everything down the road will seem like a cake walk.

What really needs to happen here are a few things. Sorry in advance if they come off as a bit harsh, but I'm less of a soother and more of a straight to the point realist. Lol.

First step - Forget what has happened up to this point - none of it matters, you cant turn back time and the excuses / victimizing stops today. Clear your head and start clawing your way back. Getting some donated cash just to take these problems with you to another area of the country or back to GA doesn't fix the real issue here. You need a game plan and waiting on strangers to give you cash is not any kind of a plan. Realize that you are going to be tired for a long, long time and get used to it. Use it as motivation though and not an excuse and you'll be just fine.

Second step - Find a way to line up some short term cash and housing, and I don't mean by waiting for it to come from strangers or setting up stuff online. Get off the internet and start looking towards doing some physical, good for the soul work - day laboring, chores at the church, residential or commercial yard work, recycling scrap metals, bartering, selling that tv, searching and replying to ads on Craigslist's help wanted section. You'll have to put your pride to the side, realize that its just temporary and there will be ignorant people who will at times judge you. It happens so get over it. Some of the above may also get you a short term room and \ or a bath, but if not, then go get some soap, toothbrushes and detergent and look for a cheap campsite with facilities or an out of the way area to temporarily call home for your family

Third step - There are plenty of cheap or free options for food (local citrus, fish, cheap starches, ramon noodles ... you get the drift) that can be had for free or for pennies on the dollar. Put together a basic fishing kit, load up on some roadside oranges and stock up on other cheap items to keep your families stomaches full for the time being.

Forth step - Ditch the cell phone plan and go prepaid with a company like Airvoice Wireless, Republic Wireless or Ting. These companies have $5 and $10 unlimited plans (talk and text) and you can use public wifi for data. We still use Republic Wireless to this day and haven't had a data plan for years. Also, paying your bills (current or past due) without having the basic essentials (food, shelter, clothing) is just throwing money away at this point. Get you and your family together and on the right path first and worry about the monetary \ credit consequences afterwards.

As a man, husband and father, I realize that the situation that you are in can tear at your heart strings, especially when others are counting on you for stability. Looking back though, I wouldn't have traded our darker years for the world as I learned more life lessons in those five years than I did in the thirty before it. Hopefully you will be able to do the same. Just remember, today can be the last day of your misfortunes and tomorrow can be the first day towards your future fortunes. Its all about your mindset ....

Good luck!

Last edited by in_newengland; 10-28-2014 at 09:09 PM.. Reason: advertising/spam

Old 03-27-2014, 08:01 PM

2 posts, read 1,824 times
Haha, people in dire need have time to post on a chat board. This I why the Nigerains and their emails always make millions before they catch them. I'm guessing Floridiots send them a ton.

Old 03-27-2014, 08:30 PM

1,512 posts, read 2,364,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Olslak View Post
Haha, people in dire need have time to post on a chat board. This I why the Nigerains and their emails always make millions before they catch them. I'm guessing Floridiots send them a ton.
I'm not going to lie, one should always take the correct precautions in these situations. I've read countless stories about someone getting set-up, especially when it involves things like Craigslist or other exchanges with strangers.

The act of being careful also applies to both parties. I would even say that someone who is actually homeless should take even more precautions because they tend to be more vulnerable. I'm just throwing that out there...

Old 03-28-2014, 03:25 PM

which is why i offered to pay gas to get her to GA, not just money. because like all of you, you never know who you're helping or ppl's situations. if someone comes up to me asking for $20, i will probably say no. but if someone comes up to me and has 4 kids and says they're all hungry with no money or food, i will buy them food. not just give them money b.c you're not sure without knowing ppl what they will do with the money. you know what i'm saying?

Old 03-28-2014, 04:57 PM

Husband got his first pay check today and they gave him a little advance !!. I am so thankful we made it this Far . this will hold us over til we get my disability check on Tuesday. And then we can either go back to Ga with family or find a place here and slowly rebuild our life piece by piece. We have sold everything so it will be a complete start over.
Florida vence..
Thank you for you advice. My husband started work our need was to make it until his payday since he had been out of work we lost everything. I was mentioning the cell phone plan as in its past due because I hadn't paid it and my next step was prepaid but I was going to use this one til then. The other bills weren't paid either . I was pointing them out because someone had said we should sale our car but with a note on it that is impossible.
Comsense
Thank you so much for your willing ness to help. I only turnedbhere because on the street there isn't any help and all other resources had failed . if it weren't for the kindness of a stranger paying our motel room through payday after seeing us sleeping in our car I don't know what we would have done. My only other option was go back to Ga where I have family to stay with.thankfully we made it to today and I know its going to be hard but I know somehow some way we will make it through this. And to anyone with hateful words be careful no one is immune from this it can happen to anyone. Although we are in no way completely out of the water we aren't going to ask no one for anything that we don't absolutely need. We will make it through this.

Last edited by riverfamga; 03-28-2014 at 05:05 PM..

Old 03-28-2014, 05:02 PM

I do have one request and that is that you pray for us to make it all the way through this and for our financial stability because one thing I do know is prayer does work and especially in nunbers
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida