Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-26-2012, 12:43 PM

670 posts, read 1,277,526 times

Advertisements

Mike,
You were not there so you do not know that sequence of events to be factual, so please stop speaking on what anyone did that night as if you were an eye witness. None of us know what really happened. Only Trayvon, George and God knows what happened and prayerfully the TRUTH will come to the light.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike1306 View Post
So you are thinking that Zman threw the first punch? Grabbed Trayvon?

If I see someone across the street at my neighbors house and I approach them because I know the owners are not due to be around for months, would that give them the right to attack me?

I am just trying to get an idea of what you think is acceptable response to being followed since you think that shooting someone that is bashing your head against concrete and going for your gun is unacceptable.

Old 04-26-2012, 01:08 PM

7,126 posts, read 8,650,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike1306 View Post
So you are thinking that Zman threw the first punch? Grabbed Trayvon?

If I see someone across the street at my neighbors house and I approach them because I know the owners are not due to be around for months, would that give them the right to attack me?

I am just trying to get an idea of what you think is acceptable response to being followed since you think that shooting someone that is bashing your head against concrete and going for your gun is unacceptable.
I think it's a shame GZ ever got out of his car against the advice of the 911 operator.It could have all ended so peacefully if GZ had waited for the police to handle the matter.But he didn't GZ got out of his car because he knew he was carrying a weapon and was more than prepared to use it.He stalked a bigger younger man he thought was up to no good because he was safe in the knowledge that he(GZ) had a gun! A gun is a great equalizer in the hands of a coward!
As for looking out for your neighbor...if I saw someone walking past my neighbors house I wouldn't shoot the person dead to protect the property
I'm from a very strong law enforcement (NYPD) family...even off-duty cops didn't carry their guns on them when running out for milk...cops that did that were considered to be major macho d-baggers!

Old 04-26-2012, 01:18 PM

18,069 posts, read 18,812,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishiis49 View Post
I think it's a shame GZ ever got out of his car against the advice of the 911 operator.It could have all ended so peacefully if GZ had waited for the police to handle the matter.But he didn't GZ got out of his car because he knew he was carrying a weapon and was more than prepared to use it.He stalked a bigger younger man he thought was up to no good because he was safe in the knowledge that he(GZ) had a gun! A gun is a great equalizer in the hands of a coward!
As for looking out for your neighbor...if I saw someone walking past my neighbors house I wouldn't shoot the person dead to protect the property
I'm from a very strong law enforcement (NYPD) family...even off-duty cops didn't carry their guns on them when running out for milk...cops that did that were considered to be major macho d-baggers!
What, a person is considered a "major macho d-baggers" because they carry a weapon in order for them to respond to a deadly force situation?

As a former LEO, I always promoted that off duty LEO's should carry when they can. It has nothing to do with them being macho; it has to do with them being able to respond and assist when the need arises, sort of like how many off duty doctors and paramedics have emergency medical items with them, at least in their cars. Even on a ship, there is a request for doctors and paramedics to register so they can be contacted in case of an emergency at sea. It is that essence of "always" being on duty.

As far as your comment "A gun is a great equalizer in the hands of a coward!" A gun is for responding to a deadly force threat, and a person usually never knows when that threat may arise. Maybe you were not clear on what you meant by that comment.

Old 04-26-2012, 01:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boxus View Post
What, a person is considered a "major macho d-baggers" because they carry a weapon in order for them to respond to a deadly force situation?

As a former LEO, I always promoted that off duty LEO's should carry when they can. It has nothing to do with them being macho; it has to do with them being able to respond and assist when the need arises, sort of like how many off duty doctors and paramedics have emergency medical items with them, at least in their cars. Even on a ship, there is a request for doctors and paramedics to register so they can be contacted in case of an emergency at sea. It is that essence of "always" being on duty.

As far as your comment "A gun is a great equalizer in the hands of a coward!" A gun is for responding to a deadly force threat, and a person usually never knows when that threat may arise. Maybe you were not clear on what you meant by that comment.
Still stand by what I commented.However you do understand the difference between a highly trained LEO and a neighborhood watch person?

Old 04-26-2012, 01:54 PM

18,069 posts, read 18,812,184 times
Quote:
Still stand by what I commented.However you do understand the difference between a highly trained LEO and a neighborhood watch person?
Yes I do, but you lead your second paragraph in and relate it to the first, which when read implies anyone who carries a gun (in the case of an LEO, while off duty) is a coward and is macho.

That is simply not true.

Old 04-26-2012, 01:59 PM

I will give an example...an off duty LEO who carries a gun to a family bar-b-que is a major macho d-bag...yes my brother in-law did that then decided to jump in my pool...couldn't have happened to a nicer guy! Versus an off duty LEO riding the subway late at night on his way home...

Old 04-26-2012, 02:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boxus View Post
Yes I do, but you lead your second paragraph in and relate it to the first, which when read implies anyone who carries a gun (in the case of an LEO, while off duty) is a coward and is macho.

That is simply not true.
Agree but a neighborhood watchman on his way out on a Sunday night to buy milk doesn't need to be armed...and if he wasn't armed I can say with 100% certainty GZ would have stayed put and waited for LEO's ! He had gun muscles and it clouded his judgement!

Old 04-26-2012, 03:21 PM

12,135 posts, read 16,124,405 times
First off, in Florida, the law allows a properly licensed individual carry a concealed weapon any time he likes. He was within his rights.
If, as the situation appears, Z was attacked by M, i.e. being pushed to the
ground and having his head smashed against the street, then Z was still way within his legal rights to use deadly force.

You are stating what his mindset was. You are guessing. You do not know.

Quote:
Agree but a neighborhood watchman on his way out on a Sunday night to buy milk doesn't need to be armed...and if he wasn't armed I can say with 100% certainty GZ would have stayed put and waited for LEO's ! He had gun muscles and it clouded his judgement!

Old 04-26-2012, 03:23 PM

But it is OK for others to state their take on the situation?
Yes, the truth will come to light thanks to the judicial system.
I can't wait to see Trayvon's parents apologizing for all the false allegations
they raised along with Sharpton and the rest of the crew. Think that will happen should in fact Z be found innocent?

Quote:
Originally Posted by NALEXAND View Post
Mike,
You were not there so you do not know that sequence of events to be factual, so please stop speaking on what anyone did that night as if you were an eye witness. None of us know what really happened. Only Trayvon, George and God knows what happened and prayerfully the TRUTH will come to the light.

Old 04-26-2012, 03:27 PM

YOu are making very deep assumptions that do not back up what we know to be facts. A gun is an excellent weapon to protect yourself from deadly force or injury. Nobody shot anybody dead to protect the property. M was shot dead because he was physically attacking Z.

I knew a lot of NYPD cops in my day and I can't think of any of them who were not ALWAYS armed and had their badge around their necks WHENEVER in civilian clothes.

You should live in a state where only the criminals are armed and always have the upper hand over the citizen.

Quote:
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida