Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-03-2014, 04:49 PM

12,135 posts, read 16,128,302 times

Advertisements

Ive been working in FL over 25 years. I had dreams of sun and sand too. Got both.
Wage level has never been a problem.
Always had enough to move back, but I would have to be insane to so.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otherside1 View Post
Right. Because you are probably retired. There are many people that come to Florida with dreams of sun and sand and then realize that the median wage is so low that they cannot even save enough to move back to their old state. Economic ruts are common in Florida.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2014, 05:09 PM

12,017 posts, read 14,323,903 times
Quote:
Right. Because you are probably retired. There are many people that come to Florida with dreams of sun and sand and then realize that the median wage is so low that they cannot even save enough to move back to their old state. Economic ruts are common in Florida.
Young prof here. Every state needs em

Old 01-03-2014, 05:30 PM

153 posts, read 357,955 times
Quote:
Theory busted. We're a young family that's been here for 15 years with 3 small children, great incomes (that didnt follow us) and no complaints. But then again, we're not the complaining type. if you have any doubt's.

Point being is to stop the negative mindset and make good things happen for yourself. Living a wasteful life of "... poor me can't save enough money" or "... you must be retired" is just a cover up for not wanting to put forth the effort.

The Age of Entitlement continues on ....

Last edited by in_newengland; 10-28-2014 at 11:25 PM.. Reason: adv

Old 01-03-2014, 05:55 PM

111 posts, read 148,215 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Florida-Dude View Post
No one who can work should be getting welfare at all. Free health care, dental etc when others are working 2 jobs and dont get those freebies.

No one making 60k should be struggling at all and surely dont need welfare and should never get it either.

Doesnt free stuff bother most of you? Why am I working to hand someone who wont work something for free.

No wonder this country is going to hell so quickly. No one wants to earn their own keep.
There is no dental and no doctor would want to see you.

Old 01-03-2014, 05:55 PM

11,486 posts, read 15,306,908 times
Quote:
Many on the success story thread are not retired.

And why did they move here without having a decent wage job in the first place?

That would be silly and a bad decision on their part if they did.

Even in this thread many talk about moving here and making decent wages.

If I hated a place I lived as much as some of these people do I would work 2 or 3 jobs to make enough to move.

Next issue. Why would you move back to where you came from, you left it the first time why would you go back to it?

Economic ruts are common place in most states over the last few years, not just Florida.

I dont understand why someone would move here without money saved to move away if they did not like it, or the failed to do their research before they moved here.

Again, it is not Floridas fault for people not having skill levels high enough to be able to get a decent paying wage.

Bad decisions made by people and all they can do it blame the state when you knew before you came here that you really need to have a great resume to get a good paying job. Which many have done!!

You cannot be out making money to move if you are on the forum 24-7 whining all day long. For those who want to move out of Florida you really should not be spending time here, you should be at work making money to move.

Old 01-03-2014, 06:01 PM

111 posts, read 148,215 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cw30000 View Post
Actually if you are on minimum wage, it is actually better in blue state like Cali and NY. You will get free health and dental, food stamp. Get on low income house. You can be paying few hundreds a month and living in Midtown with a 1200 3/2 condo.

It is the middle class that is worst off. Those making 30k to 60k. Because you are qualify to pay tax, you are not eligible for any welfare benefits.
very untrue dear

Old 01-03-2014, 06:01 PM

153 posts, read 357,955 times
Quote:
.... There are many people that come to Florida with dreams of sun and sand and then realize that the median wage is so low that they cannot even save enough ....
How about instead of complaining, maybe be responsible for ones own actions and realize what your getting into BEFORE you get into it? Or is it just easier to show up, fail and then complain after the reality doesn't meet your expectations that were never researched in the first place before coming here?

Old 01-03-2014, 07:28 PM

2,360 posts, read 5,248,462 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunny-Days-in-Florida View Post
Many on the success story thread are not retired.

And why did they move here without having a decent wage job in the first place?

That would be silly and a bad decision on their part if they did.

Even in this thread many talk about moving here and making decent wages.

If I hated a place I lived as much as some of these people do I would work 2 or 3 jobs to make enough to move.

Next issue. Why would you move back to where you came from, you left it the first time why would you go back to it?

Economic ruts are common place in most states over the last few years, not just Florida.

I dont understand why someone would move here without money saved to move away if they did not like it, or the failed to do their research before they moved here.

Again, it is not Floridas fault for people not having skill levels high enough to be able to get a decent paying wage.

Bad decisions made by people and all they can do it blame the state when you knew before you came here that you really need to have a great resume to get a good paying job. Which many have done!!

You cannot be out making money to move if you are on the forum 24-7 whining all day long. For those who want to move out of Florida you really should not be spending time here, you should be at work making money to move.
There are many reasons why a person would move back to where they moved from. Family, fantastic scenery,overall quality of life, much better income are the things that brought us back to pretty much the same area that i lived my whole life. You can do all the research in the world and wont really know what it is like to live somewhere until you actually do it. We lived down there for ten years, both had our own business,two Harleys in the garage and a boat in the Gulf. That stuff has a tendency to get old quick. Still came no where close to the quality of life i found when i moved back to N.H. I can understand why a lot of people on here are so passionate about living there . Especially when they say where they moved from. It definatly is a upgrade from a lot of places but it is also a definate downgrade from others. Ya got to live where your happy.

Old 01-03-2014, 07:32 PM

12,135 posts, read 16,128,302 times
It took 10 years to come to the realization?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken E View Post
There are many reasons why a person would move back to where they moved from. Family, fantastic scenery,overall quality of life, much better income are the things that brought us back to pretty much the same area that i lived my whole life. You can do all the research in the world and wont really know what it is like to live somewhere until you actually do it. We lived down there for ten years, both had our own business,two Harleys in the garage and a boat in the Gulf. That stuff has a tendency to get old quick. Still came no where close to the quality of life i found when i moved back to N.H. I can understand why a lot of people on here are so passionate about living there . Especially when they say where they moved from. It definatly is a upgrade from a lot of places but it is also a definate downgrade from others. Ya got to live where your happy.

Old 01-03-2014, 07:38 PM

2,360 posts, read 5,248,462 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spring Hillian View Post
It took 10 years to come to the realization?
Didnt want to make any rash decisions. I kept thinking that it was getting better but it wasent. Had a business to sell,had a house to sell. Have you tried to sell a house around there latley. I still have quite a few friends in Spring Hill that i talk to on a regular basis. They keep me posted on how not much has changed around there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida