Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-12-2009, 10:51 PM

7,937 posts, read 20,381,405 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Outta-NC View Post
Berryjuice, thanks for sharing. Sounds like the place I want to be. Vacation all the time. We've been pretty miserable here only cause it's not for us. Some of the YANKEE talk you hear on this forum is only cause they are hiding behind a keyboard and would not dare tell you to your face although the feeling is ingrained.

I have family in the Lakeland area which is well positioned between Tampa and Orlando. So I would say anywhere in Central Florida sounds good so far. I'm in IT and have been scouting some job boards. Pay in Orlando seems higher than here by about $10/hr from what I'm seeing. I'm also being told that pawn shops down there alone pay $10-12/ hr plus commission so that would be good for my college age son. That's what his cousin is doing down there while in school. That beats the dept stores up here at minimum wage.

You mention that "despite the problems in florida". Can you elaborate a bit on that? We have new neighbors here from Florida and I am seeing many plates moving up here although I don't anticipate them all staying permanently. I'm just curious cause I know NJersians are moving here cause of cheaper housing and taxes which isn't all of a reason to move. That's hind site talk. Is that the same in Florida?? My family is quite happy down there.
Yes your right about the people from NY and NJ they are going to nc because property taxes and car insurance are cheaper, other than that and possibly the cost for a home these days that is all that is cheap...and there are few places to live these days that are truely cheap....I think in the end everything washes itself so to speak...because property taxes will always go up, car insurance will always go up and housing insurance will always go up, no matter where you live....and the GOOD places like where we lived had great schools, so u know you will pay for that one way or another so its all irrelevant in the end...

I am refering to higher home owner insurance and possible housing costs property taxes in some areas, but people need to remember that these things will go up everywhere once it gets populated, so cheap wont exist for very long..anyway then you have the hurricanes but other than that, I dont know why anyone would hate living here that much.. no major problems that I can report however my electric bill just came on friday and its the same as it was in NC and we have the same sq footage here as we had there so I was quiet happy since I was afraid it was going to be double.....The drivers here are just awful...things like that...again remember people dont like living where they are for very different reasons...I met a couple at Rita's Ices where we used to live in NC who moved here from where? the same developement we are living now...and her comment to us was, you will love it there nc is nice but not for us, but we cant go back to florida without a job...so again there are floridians leaving here and going there as well as Atlanta from what I have heard, but all with different situations...we havent encountered any problems but u know that there are problems everywhere...just Different problems...lol
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2009, 11:10 PM

35 posts, read 85,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by berryjuice4life View Post
Yes your right about the people from NY and NJ they are going to nc because property taxes and car insurance are cheaper, other than that and possibly the cost for a home these days that is all that is cheap...and there are few places to live these days that are truely cheap....I think in the end everything washes itself so to speak...because property taxes will always go up, car insurance will always go up and housing insurance will always go up, no matter where you live....and the GOOD places like where we lived had great schools, so u know you will pay for that one way or another so its all irrelevant in the end...

I am refering to higher home owner insurance and possible housing costs property taxes in some areas, but people need to remember that these things will go up everywhere once it gets populated, so cheap wont exist for very long..anyway then you have the hurricanes but other than that, I dont know why anyone would hate living here that much.. no major problems that I can report however my electric bill just came on friday and its the same as it was in NC and we have the same sq footage here as we had there so I was quiet happy since I was afraid it was going to be double.....The drivers here are just awful...things like that...again remember people dont like living where they are for very different reasons...I met a couple at Rita's Ices where we used to live in NC who moved here from where? the same developement we are living now...and her comment to us was, you will love it there nc is nice but not for us, but we cant go back to florida without a job...so again there are floridians leaving here and going there as well as Atlanta from what I have heard, but all with different situations...we havent encountered any problems but u know that there are problems everywhere...just Different problems...lol

Yes. I learned that after moving here. Things like auto insurance and homeowners insurance is not all that cheap here anymore. I'm with liberty mutual one of the so-called more reasonable ins carriers and they are charging me almost $1,600 for two cars 4 and 8 yrs old full coverage with two clean licenses. That's higher than it used to be 3 yrs ago. Homeowners with same carrier is $920/yr and that's with $188 of discounts. My utilities bills here are more than it was in NJ. Water and sewer cost here is through the roof averaging $100/mo. for family of 4 with absolutely no lawn watering. Gas monthly is $50/mo and that's just for water heater. Insane huh!! So yes there are issues here as well. Just that the pay for the skillset is not compensated fairly. This is not a low cost area. Maybe from California to here but certainly not from places I've lived like NY/NJ prior to here. Driving here is getting worse in the Triangle area too. Congestion and stupid accidents. They drive like maniacs here. You are starting to see less courteous driving and more aggressiveness so that won't be a show stopper for me. I just want to be able to have a much better selection of things to do on timeoff than just mountains or beaches which don't really have much to do. Florida you have both Gulf and Atlantic to chose from to boot. Then all cities and theme parks. Not only that I can have choices of difference internet carriers and home phone. Not here in Johnston county. Hell NC is not even talking about getting FIOS Verizon's fiber optic network here for at least several years to come. The talks are not even on the table. They were briefly but they pulled back. Doesn't make sense. They are not preparing well here for the congestion that will get worse when people start going back to work and more people migrate here. It's just already getting too crowded in this small triangle area.

What else can you tell me about schools and jobs, culture, what you used to research the area that best fit you, etc.

Old 07-13-2009, 06:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Outta-NC View Post
Yes. I learned that after moving here. Things like auto insurance and homeowners insurance is not all that cheap here anymore. I'm with liberty mutual one of the so-called more reasonable ins carriers and they are charging me almost $1,600 for two cars 4 and 8 yrs old full coverage with two clean licenses. That's higher than it used to be 3 yrs ago. Homeowners with same carrier is $920/yr and that's with $188 of discounts. My utilities bills here are more than it was in NJ. Water and sewer cost here is through the roof averaging $100/mo. for family of 4 with absolutely no lawn watering. Gas monthly is $50/mo and that's just for water heater. Insane huh!! So yes there are issues here as well. Just that the pay for the skillset is not compensated fairly. This is not a low cost area. Maybe from California to here but certainly not from places I've lived like NY/NJ prior to here. Driving here is getting worse in the Triangle area too. Congestion and stupid accidents. They drive like maniacs here. You are starting to see less courteous driving and more aggressiveness so that won't be a show stopper for me. I just want to be able to have a much better selection of things to do on timeoff than just mountains or beaches which don't really have much to do. Florida you have both Gulf and Atlantic to chose from to boot. Then all cities and theme parks. Not only that I can have choices of difference internet carriers and home phone. Not here in Johnston county. Hell NC is not even talking about getting FIOS Verizon's fiber optic network here for at least several years to come. The talks are not even on the table. They were briefly but they pulled back. Doesn't make sense. They are not preparing well here for the congestion that will get worse when people start going back to work and more people migrate here. It's just already getting too crowded in this small triangle area.

What else can you tell me about schools and jobs, culture, what you used to research the area that best fit you, etc.

Schools were very important for us, as I have a daughter with learning needs. and I have a son entering High School so that was a priorty...I have a freind here in boca who I know since im 11 or so, as our moms worked in Manhattan together for 28 years, and alot of my info came from her and people she put me in touch with who have been here a long time to people that have been here about a year or so...After meeting a few people in Charlotte who lived here they gave me insight to the area as well..I used Greatschools.net and the Palm Beach county report card.....I also called the schools and visited when we came down for spring break before we knew were actually moving here...We were also looking at Alpharetta but glad we choose here instead...parent reviews were big for us since "scores" in my opinion dont tell the whole story, as my children and others I know test very poorly but my son is a B student for the most part but cant take those tests to save his life..lol....We knew what type of area we were looking for, we didnt want to be too far from the beach and we really went "Community Shopping" more than anything since that too was very important to find the right place to live for all of us..

Old 07-18-2009, 03:02 PM

22,334 posts, read 29,432,497 times
Hi everyone. I was born and raised in Miami and lived there for 33 years. I moved up to Charlotte last May. I like it here due to the lower prices on housing, insurance, etc. However, state income tax is a ***** and food is more expensive up here. We love the change of seasons though. We are 34 and 35 with no kids. CLT for us is becoming a little too boring. There really isn't anything for us (personally) to do up here. The nightlife here isn't great, no big events except Nascar which doesn't suit us. We are discussing moving down to Daytona so its not the cess pool that Miami is but is more like what we are used to as far as beaches, nightlife, etc.

If you have any questions regarding CLT, you can DM me if you like.

Old 07-18-2009, 04:12 PM

976 posts, read 1,111,947 times
Move to Daytona and complaining about NASCAR, lol. I dont like Daytona personally, I find it kind of dirty and trashy. Just my opinion. I would leave Orlando, which I am definitely not a fan of, for Charlotte in a second, but I dont think I'd even leave Orlando for Daytona.

Old 07-18-2009, 06:27 PM

2,414 posts, read 5,401,157 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by berryjuice4life View Post
Yes your right about the people from NY and NJ they are going to nc because property taxes and car insurance are cheaper
lol
Those aren't the greatest reasons for moving to a new place. What if you don't like it there after the thrill of lower car insurance wears off? Won't all those people moving there drive the costs of these items up over time?

Last edited by stars99; 07-18-2009 at 06:53 PM..

Old 07-18-2009, 07:29 PM

976 posts, read 1,111,947 times
^^^ They already are. The same thing can be said for FL, but even more so. People having been leaving NY and NJ for FL for years and years... because we dont have snow and housing is cheaper. And we know how this has affected the look, the feel, and the enviornment in FL, unfortunately.

All the people from NY and NJ has already affected many areas of NC, just as it has FL

Old 07-18-2009, 09:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrlandoRE_Miracle View Post
Those aren't the greatest reasons for moving to a new place. What if you don't like it there after the thrill of lower car insurance wears off? Won't all those people moving there drive the costs of these items up over time?
I agree with you orlando, but we didnt move to charlotte for those reasons, we did it for a change of life and personal reasons...obviously expenses arent cheap here so one would not say I moved to florida because its cheap...and yes u are correct it happens in any new place that gets populated, Costs start to rise, roads need to extended or repaired, and then where is all the money to do these things...and again with the growth that charlotte has seen in the years things need time to work themselves out...although they do have a great school system in my opinion...

Old 07-18-2009, 09:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trusses View Post
^^^ They already are. The same thing can be said for FL, but even more so. People having been leaving NY and NJ for FL for years and years... because we dont have snow and housing is cheaper. And we know how this has affected the look, the feel, and the enviornment in FL, unfortunately.

All the people from NY and NJ has already affected many areas of NC, just as it has FL
Yes and you are correct, which was my point, cheaper helps financially however it wont stay cheap as property taxes will go up, and this economy now most people are effected in one way shape or form, however NC weather coming from NY and NJ was awesome for us...it was a bit cold this past winter, not brutal since it would be in the 70;s the next day,

Old 07-19-2009, 06:15 AM

5,500 posts, read 10,520,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OrlandoRE_Miracle View Post
When I was in Raleigh we had many people transfer from MA mainly due to cost of living. The job security was also better in NC. No one really wanted to leave but we aren't talking about saving 5k. People would move down making the same salary they did up north. Instead of living in an apartment they were buying a new house.

While I agree with your premise that it shouldn't be the main reason, it sure was for many I knew who wanted their kids to have a more comfortable life.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida