Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-01-2009, 01:20 PM

Location: Palm Beach County. Where people get murked by the grocery store.
164 posts, read 793,615 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jojajn View Post
This just came out today. You can look up the crime rate for each county in Florida!

Search: Florida crime statistics compiled by FDLE -- OrlandoSentinel.com
this must be old rates. i looked up palm beach and lantana(which i live in) said it had no murders. there were 4 murders in this town in 2008, resulting in 40 murders per capita. and it only shows a very few cities in palm beach county, most of them being the less violent and safer cities, like jupiter, juno, lantana, boca, wellington. lake worth, riviera beach, boynton beach, delray beach, west palm beach, and belle glade weren't on there(the cities usually with the worst crime rates)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2009, 01:56 PM

1 posts, read 6,007 times
Mexico Beach, FL is a small,family-oriented town east of Panama City, on the Gulf. Situated between Tyndall AFB and Port St. Joe, it boasts white sand beaches and glorious sunsets. There are a few restaurants, groceries, small shops, shells & turtles,but no putt putt golf or waterparks. We started
going there in '79 and have never found anything to match it. If you need "big city", it's less than an hour's drive.

Old 03-05-2009, 03:22 PM

7 posts, read 25,735 times
I would be more concerned about violent weather than about crime and noisy neighbors in Florida. Though crime rates and dangerous places are a factor, weather should be you biggest concern. Weather patterns are changing and Florida is not the easiest place to evacuate in the event of an emergency. Best of luck to anyone moving to Florida. Be prepared and always have an escape plan (at least 1).

Old 03-05-2009, 08:55 PM

8,489 posts, read 20,643,615 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manny561 View Post
this must be old rates. i looked up palm beach and lantana(which i live in) said it had no murders. there were 4 murders in this town in 2008, resulting in 40 murders per capita. and it only shows a very few cities in palm beach county, most of them being the less violent and safer cities, like jupiter, juno, lantana, boca, wellington. lake worth, riviera beach, boynton beach, delray beach, west palm beach, and belle glade weren't on there(the cities usually with the worst crime rates)
If there were 40 murders per capita in Lantana which has a population of about 10,000 then that means there were 400,000 murders in Lantana in 2008.
They better get some more people there since they all seem to have been murdered plus anyone that traveled through there.

Old 04-04-2009, 10:44 AM

25,449 posts, read 11,731,582 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ben_evreware View Post
I would be more concerned about violent weather than about crime and noisy neighbors in Florida. Though crime rates and dangerous places are a factor, weather should be you biggest concern. Weather patterns are changing and Florida is not the easiest place to evacuate in the event of an emergency. Best of luck to anyone moving to Florida. Be prepared and always have an escape plan (at least 1).
I'm sorry, but I disagree with you 100%. While the weather can get bad in Florida, 98% of the time it's just thunderstorms, which won't do much. I don't worry much about the weather until I'm in a warning or watch, however I don't want to live in a place that is 24/7 crime. Again, crime can be anywhere at anytime unfortunately, but weather is not. Finding a safe place to live away from crime IS more important than weather patterns.

Old 06-15-2009, 01:51 AM

20 posts, read 44,328 times
I went through Hurricane Andrew (Homestead).. I watched the tiles pop off my bathroom walls because my walls were flexing so much...
And I STILL think crime is the biggest problem. I was stupid to stay, although that one snuck up on us. It was a 3, then it was a 5, by that time we couldnt leave. I am AFRAID to live here.
Also, I am afraid to open my mail.. when the Tax bill and Insurance bill come... OH!! the HORRORRRRRR!

Old 07-06-2009, 04:08 PM

1 posts, read 5,339 times
Wink IS THERE anywhere SAFE, ANYWHERE?!lol

I must say you will find crime everywhere it's inevitable just don't allow yourself to become a victim take the necessary steps to protect you and yours (that goes to all of us and... in reference to all levels and types of danger/catastrophe) .... if it's meant to be (regardless if you are being rocked in the heavenly hands of the sweet One Above or one step short of falling into the devil's hellish pit...what will be... will be. You can still run across crime, natural disasters and such.... in even the safest towns, cities, states, and countries... as well as vice-versa. Although, they live in fear, a lot of people have managed to stay safe... if not... at lease, well protected... in the most "scariest" places to live. Most places lack safety because lack of a strong community, lack of funding to secure that community, and lack of just knowing the history and the people in the area. Others are due to envy, racistism/ prejudice, no respect or consideration for others... fetishes and boredom... amongst other issues (just naming a few). There are ways you can keep you, your family and your processions safe no matter where you live and how much you have to work with. Remember we are all human, regardless how sick-minded, sane, confused, knowledgeable, hopeless, determined, helpful or reluctant TO help... we all may be at times.... we all have a mind and skills, that can absorbed/demonstrate valuable information/tactics that we can utilized to defend/protect, help, assist or even save lives... be willing... no matter where you plan to move to live and/or visit... to never think it's to much work to go overboard with always trying to acquire "life saving" tips, education, and methods of survival...for everywhere! Always remember that you and the One Above are your strongest resource to knowing better, keeping you sane, safe, happy and in control. Stay safe all!!!And REMEMBER ANYONE CAN BE A HERO WITH HEART! MMS July 6,2009

Last edited by Citywise; 07-06-2009 at 04:16 PM.. Reason: too many...lol

Old 11-07-2009, 06:20 PM

6 posts, read 21,241 times
i have lived in FL (lehigh) for one year and think it is absolutely the most disgusting place i've ever had the displeasure to live. If you speak english you don't belong in Lehigh...it's depressing, mentally draining and dangerous...people in Lehigh have no hope because they have little to no resources for a better life..so they stay and learn to make the best of their dreadful lives and survive. We're moving back to the midwest in three weeks and counting down the seconds...Fl has some beautiful places to visit and if you're wealthy enough to retire in these places you're very fortunate...try to work and make a decent living in Florida??...forget it...see ya later Florida..sooooooo many other beautiful parts of the country...leaving and never looking back

Old 11-07-2009, 08:03 PM

8,489 posts, read 20,643,615 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacnit View Post
i have lived in FL (lehigh) for one year and think it is absolutely the most disgusting place i've ever had the displeasure to live. If you speak english you don't belong in Lehigh...it's depressing, mentally draining and dangerous...people in Lehigh have no hope because they have little to no resources for a better life..so they stay and learn to make the best of their dreadful lives and survive. We're moving back to the midwest in three weeks and counting down the seconds...Fl has some beautiful places to visit and if you're wealthy enough to retire in these places you're very fortunate...try to work and make a decent living in Florida??...forget it...see ya later Florida..sooooooo many other beautiful parts of the country...leaving and never looking back
Let me paraphrase for you.

I moved to a low rent area and expected paradise on a budget.

How did I do?

Old 11-08-2009, 04:07 AM

917 posts, read 2,615,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suncoast Guy View Post
I'm sorry, but I disagree with you 100%. While the weather can get bad in Florida, 98% of the time it's just thunderstorms, which won't do much. I don't worry much about the weather until I'm in a warning or watch, however I don't want to live in a place that is 24/7 crime. Again, crime can be anywhere at anytime unfortunately, but weather is not. Finding a safe place to live away from crime IS more important than weather patterns.
I think finding a safe place to live is critical BECAUSE of the likelihood of hurricanes knocking out services. People don't evacuate every time that there is a threat of a storm. If you choose "to ride it out", and law and order goes out the window, your surroundings become very important!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida