Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What "mindscape" is New Florida most like?
Wild West 2 2.41%
Heartland 2 2.41%
Dixie 13 15.66%
Yankeedom 11 13.25%
Cuba 0 0%
Meh, it's just Florida 55 66.27%
Voters: 83. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-21-2016, 08:08 PM

8,963 posts, read 8,926,253 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happiness-is-close View Post
I think it would be a fantastic idea if you left!! You are clearly not happy here.

Florida is the third most populous state in our nation. And given our states diversity and uniqueness, a lot of interesting stories are going to come out of it.
I'm fine here. But I think your a little off in your thinking. But that's fine, it's not a big deal, it's just very different from what many of us here believe and see.

Old 05-21-2016, 08:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcenal352 View Post
Woah... what????

Come on, now; I try to be neutral in these topics, but quite frankly, your post was over the top.
Maybe I shouldve toned down the 3rd paragraph

Old 05-21-2016, 08:46 PM

17,206 posts, read 15,404,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StreetSmarts View Post
Maybe I shouldve toned down the 3rd paragraph
Haha!! Ya think???

Old 05-22-2016, 11:32 AM

But the first two are accurate. Third maybe a little overdone but still a lot of truth to it.

Old 05-22-2016, 01:53 PM

17,206 posts, read 15,404,507 times
True, but then I think it has a lot to do with folks seeking a more traditional Southern lifestyle, which is all but disappearing in most parts of FL.

Old 05-22-2016, 05:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcenal352 View Post
True, but then I think it has a lot to do with folks seeking a more traditional Southern lifestyle, which is all but disappearing in most parts of FL.
Complaints I hear mostly... From folks that moved up to NC that I know... And trust me there are a TON...

To get away from the people, the crime, the traffic, the heat and humidity, the flat terrain, the bugs, etc.

Old 05-22-2016, 06:17 PM

12,135 posts, read 16,138,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StreetSmarts View Post
Complaints I hear mostly... From folks that moved up to NC that I know... And trust me there are a TON...

To get away from the people, the crime, the traffic, the heat and humidity, the flat terrain, the bugs, etc.
Yeah, none of that crime, traffic, heat, humidity or bugs up there. Up there you get to replace transmissions and brakes more often and enjoy the ever growing cost of housing while complaining about all the other people crowding up the place.

Old 05-23-2016, 07:22 AM

428 posts, read 416,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marlinfshr View Post
I think geography needs to be taught a bit better in schools! I've heard it all now as someone is questioning whether FL is like the west. Um, can't get much more southern then FL and it is not hard to find "old south" culture many places in S. FL. Just gotta cross 95 now and then!

The south is a large area and isn't just BBQ, fried chicken, sweet tea, moss covered live oaks, blooming magnolias, plantations and country bars. Even if that was the case, well Florida's got it! South FL as well!
As does reading comprehension, apparently...

The question was about culture/vibe, and was not a question of geography.

Old 05-23-2016, 11:16 AM

1,437 posts, read 2,573,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Happiness-is-close View Post
Catholics (and Jewish) have been at the forefront of progress in this nation for a 150 years. Southerners cling to their archaic ways to this very day.
Oh but there are Southerners who are Catholic and Jewish... and no their ancestors were not from another region; they originally settled in what is now the American South.

And not all Southerners clink to archaic ways, there are some for sure... just as there are some people who live in Vermont or Wisconsin who cling to their old ways.

Most abolitionists were Protestant BTW.

You HATE the South and are very PREJUDICED against Southerners. You would not dream of writing some of the vitriol and bigotry against Southerners about people from lets say Mexico.

If something or someone in or from the South doesn't fit in your narrow definition of "Southern" your response is "well that's not really the South"

The only things you count as Southern are the negative stereotypes. It would be like judging all of New Jersey on the "The Real Housewives of New Jersey" or MTV's "Jersey Shore"

Old 05-23-2016, 11:45 AM

2,232 posts, read 2,119,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwolfer View Post
Oh but there are Southerners who are Catholic and Jewish... and no their ancestors were not from another region; they originally settled in what is now the American South.

And not all Southerners clink to archaic ways, there are some for sure... just as there are some people who live in Vermont or Wisconsin who cling to their old ways.

Most abolitionists were Protestant BTW.

You HATE the South and are very PREJUDICED against Southerners. You would not dream of writing some of the vitriol and bigotry against Southerners about people from lets say Mexico.

If something or someone in or from the South doesn't fit in your narrow definition of "Southern" your response is "well that's not really the South"

The only things you count as Southern are the negative stereotypes. It would be like judging all of New Jersey on the "The Real Housewives of New Jersey" or MTV's "Jersey Shore"
The social politics coming out of the south up to this very present day don't help its reputation in my eyes, personally. The racism, bigotry, homophobia, etc.

But it isn't about how I personally feel about southern culture. It has to do with that Florida just isn't "Southern". I have actually discussed this thread with some friends and family (since it has taken up so much of my time), and even those who like southern culture agree that Florida is "just Florida" and that it is not southern. Several people honestly have even responded with humor when discussing this thread because in their mind Florida quite far away from a southern identity.

And FYI I never called Florida "northern" like New Jersey either. Florida is its own cultural niche in our nation. And the number of Catholics in the pre WWII south was TINY, and heavily centured in the southern Louisiana area (which I like a lot actually). Even today the small catholic percentage in the south consists of recent Hispanic immigrants. Florida on the other hand has a large number of European and Latin American descended Catholics. And it has since at least the 1880s when Cubans started arriving in the Tampa area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida