Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-03-2021, 09:45 AM

129 posts, read 129,239 times

Advertisements

Why would you be worried in Orlando?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-03-2021, 09:54 AM

14,949 posts, read 12,147,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huasho View Post
The BJ's at W Kendall is packed to the Rafters today...People leaving with 2 -3 carts full of stuff, not really for the 4th Celebrations, but to Welcome The Storm out there that is goinn to be just a Rain Pounding Even at the Most for Florida.

I will never understand people not being ALWAYS ready during the Hurricane/Storms Season, they Promote Panic and
Anxiety while driving, getting in n out of Stores and Stress to all the Population in General
Well, having lived in Florida for 45 years and having experienced the effects of many tropical weather systems, from tropical storms to a cat 5 hurricane, I'm a firm believer in being as prepared as possible well before a storm hits. We try to have the canned/packaged food, batteries, flashlights, water ( including containers to fill up with tap water) and other items we would need should a storm knock everything out, well before we might need it, and we keep our cars gassed up, cash on hand, and prescriptions up to date. Most of these items are things we'd use anyway, so there is no going to waste if we're not visited by a storm. As I see it, having these things on hand well before an approaching storm keeps you from having to get out there and
in those long lines haggling over disappearing hurricane supplies. That also leaves more time to make whatever last minute preparations you need to make at home.

And from my storm/post storm experience, things can be much worse if you aren't prepared in a post-storm scenario without
power, water, food or other basic items.

Old 07-03-2021, 10:02 AM

5,424 posts, read 3,492,007 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabflmom View Post
Does not bother them. They hang closer maybe; but also go under the bed when the shutters make the noises. Scares my husband more than the dogs. Lack of air conditioning is his worst problem. During Mathew we had him in a cool shower through the worst of the winds and had to make card board fans to fan him.
The dog or your husband?

Old 07-03-2021, 10:05 AM

18,447 posts, read 8,275,501 times
NHC says it's not a hurricane any more......that was quick

Old 07-03-2021, 10:57 AM

10,091 posts, read 14,965,663 times
This is Elsa right now. Currently it's south of the Dominican Republic.

Live

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a7LC49l_9CU

This was today July 3, 2021 along the seafront of Santo Domingo, Dominican Republic.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0fFVLAWZykw

Hopefully it will miss Florida. Fingers crossed.

Old 07-03-2021, 11:53 AM

786 posts, read 626,812 times
Quote:
The BJ's at W Kendall is packed to the Rafters today...People leaving with 2 -3 carts full of stuff, not really for the 4th Celebrations, but to Welcome The Storm out there that is goinn to be just a Rain Pounding Even at the Most for Florida.

I will never understand people not being ALWAYS ready during the Hurricane/Storms Season, they Promote Panic and
Anxiety while driving, getting in n out of Stores and Stress to all the Population in General

Many cant keep backup gallons of gas and plywood because of storage issues, Florida homes especially for the middle to low income earners just dont have it or landlords just dont care so preparednessis relegated to what is needed in the moment.

Then for food and water, people probably have more than enough and just get swept up in the mob panic thinking they need a 65 pack of AAs to power a radio and 2 flashlights for 3 to 4 days of possible power outages.

Old 07-03-2021, 01:14 PM

5,424 posts, read 3,492,007 times
SW Miami area - I got gas today because I needed it, there were no lines. Publix was normal, lots of bottled water, eggs, bread and milk.

Old 07-03-2021, 03:05 PM

2,580 posts, read 3,749,049 times
Quote:

My Publix was a zoo, but based on the abundant inventory of essentials, it was likely July 4th related.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chardo1 View Post
Why would you be worried in Orlando?
Maybe they are a new resident. This board has been full of “everyone is moving here,” “I haven’t seen so many out of state license plates,” “houses are flying off the shelf like crazy,” “take that California and the Northeast and don’t bring your politics with you” posts since covid began.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cfenn006 View Post
Many cant keep backup gallons of gas and plywood because of storage issues, Florida homes especially for the middle to low income earners just dont have it or landlords just dont care so preparednessis relegated to what is needed in the moment.

Then for food and water, people probably have more than enough and just get swept up in the mob panic thinking they need a 65 pack of AAs to power a radio and 2 flashlights for 3 to 4 days of possible power outages.
Also, 70% of Americans live paycheck to paycheck. Many are just trying to buy food to get them through next week, not stock up on nonperishables for a possible September hurricane.

Old 07-03-2021, 03:05 PM

786 posts, read 626,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SanyBelle View Post
SW Miami area - I got gas today because I needed it, there were no lines. Publix was normal, lots of bottled water, eggs, bread and milk.

The circus hasn't begun yet, but its coming.

Old 07-03-2021, 03:39 PM

10,951 posts, read 3,695,520 times
I hope the RAINS do not miss Florida, the Peninsula needs water in more than half of the territory. Rain will no do much harm and it's needed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida