Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-02-2021, 10:59 AM

169 posts, read 127,100 times

Advertisements

Not sure if we have one or not — I didn’t see anything stickied — but with Elsa threatening Florida next week, it might be a good time to discuss this.

How are we feeling about Elsa? I’m in Orlando and I’m starting to get a little worried. I was meant to be in Clearwater this weekend for an event but it swiftly got canceled due to a bit of chaos currently happening with the storm. Anybody (anywhere) boarding up, stocking up on supplies, and putting stuff away? Or is it too soon?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-02-2021, 12:02 PM

2,209 posts, read 1,783,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InterestingArm3750 View Post
Not sure if we have one or not — I didn’t see anything stickied — but with Elsa threatening Florida next week, it might be a good time to discuss this.

How are we feeling about Elsa? I’m in Orlando and I’m starting to get a little worried. I was meant to be in Clearwater this weekend for an event but it swiftly got canceled due to a bit of chaos currently happening with the storm. Anybody (anywhere) boarding up, stocking up on supplies, and putting stuff away? Or is it too soon?

NOAA Web Site: https://www.nhc.noaa.gov/graphics_at...start#contents

Old 07-02-2021, 12:10 PM

2,580 posts, read 3,749,049 times
You'll likely be fine in Orlando. However of course, that could vary depending on the landscape characteristics of your neighborhood and its infrastructure.

If you are a newer resident, please note that Orlando is a place where quite a few coastal evacuees choose to go.

I'll let the other posters who seem to be Ph.D. level experts in a myriad of fields give their predictions about the storm itself. :-)

Old 07-02-2021, 12:38 PM

9,131 posts, read 6,185,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InterestingArm3750 View Post

No need to board up or panic yet. Many counties in Florida have designated evacuation zones based on flooding expectations. Unfortunately, your county, Orange County does not have these. If you are new to the area, speak with your neighbors about evacuation procedures.

You should have a "to-go" bag ready for the whole season.
https://www.ready.gov/get-tech-ready
https://www.ready.gov/kit
https://www.cnn.com/2020/08/27/healt...ess/index.html.

Have a full tank of gas in your car. Make sure your electrical devices are fully charged and charge back up tech batteries.

Lots of other things too. But don't panic. The media will do what it does best - create hysteria and fear.

Old 07-02-2021, 12:38 PM

8,726 posts, read 7,413,224 times
I am in Miami, and have zero care about Elsa, at most, it will be the equivalent of an afternoon rain storm here.

Old 07-02-2021, 01:38 PM

557 posts, read 297,410 times
This will be my first hurricane. We would watch the news and my husband used to comment that Floridians must love their french toast (because the grocery stores would also run out of milk, bread, eggs).

I am heading out to fill up the car, pickup some groceries and water. With the Monday holiday, I don't want to have to be running around next week. I have a 15amp+usb battery block that can charge devices, I will charge it up.

Seeing as nobody is saying to worry yet. I am not too concerned. The community is having a 4th of July get-together. I figure everyone will be telling me what is the standard-operating-procedure for these events.

Old 07-02-2021, 01:58 PM

10,951 posts, read 3,695,520 times
I am in Miami, was here thru ANdrew, and I then learned to be redy BEFORE The Season Starts every year, My HRV has a Full tank as of yesterday when I knew PANIC would ensue beginning today.

Ready for whatever is coming and I also believe this for us in Florida will be a Supper Wet event if that only.

Greetings from already Super Wet Miami.

Old 07-02-2021, 02:07 PM

18,447 posts, read 8,275,501 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MerryDay View Post
This will be my first hurricane.
It shouldn't be a hurricane by the time it gets to us.....they're only predicting a minimal hurricane now....it'll be a tropical storm
...they use "cyclone" which makes it sound a whole lot worse than it is....cyclone is just wind with a circulation

...if you want to see the predictions better...use Ventusky....you can change the date and time at the bottom...and change from wind to rain, etc

https://www.ventusky.com/

Windy is another site that does the same....Windy is never as accurate as Ventusky

https://www.windy.com/?2021-07-09-00...0,5,i:pressure

Old 07-02-2021, 02:27 PM

18,447 posts, read 8,275,501 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huasho View Post
I am in Miami, was here thru ANdrew, and I then learned to be redy BEFORE The Season Starts every year, My HRV has a Full tank as of yesterday when I knew PANIC would ensue beginning today.

Ready for whatever is coming and I also believe this for us in Florida will be a Supper Wet event if that only.

Greetings from already Super Wet Miami.
...stock up on cashews and chocolate

Old 07-02-2021, 03:23 PM

10,951 posts, read 3,695,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Corrie22 View Post
...stock up on cashews and chocolate
Yep and hopefully come the beginning of the work week The L.A. Fatness will be opened as Ususal.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida