U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
 
Old 09-10-2008, 03:55 PM
 
Location: Connecticut
560 posts, read 1,265,890 times
Reputation: 248
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lulu101 View Post
you're in orlando right? So Ocala Forest would be a very easy trip for you.
In North Auburndale. Right next to Lake Alfred. I could just take I-75 north I think.

Edit: Just checked, I can hop on County Rd. 33 which runs into I-75. Looks like an an hour and fifteen minute drive.

Last edited by markhunt; 09-10-2008 at 04:05 PM..

 
Old 09-10-2008, 04:15 PM
 
Location: Hope, AR
1,505 posts, read 2,031,513 times
Reputation: 240
let us know if it's worth visiting after you check it out

Quote:
Originally Posted by markhunt View Post
In North Auburndale. Right next to Lake Alfred. I could just take I-75 north I think.

Edit: Just checked, I can hop on County Rd. 33 which runs into I-75. Looks like an an hour and fifteen minute drive.
 
Old 09-10-2008, 04:41 PM
 
Location: Connecticut
560 posts, read 1,265,890 times
Reputation: 248
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lulu101 View Post
let us know if it's worth visiting after you check it out
Will do.
 
Old 09-10-2008, 07:52 PM
 
Location: Parents moved me to FL, must escape!
72 posts, read 103,829 times
Reputation: 21
So happy for those of you who wanted to leave Florida and have since gotten out, and also for you who are on your way out. I am so excited and thrilled for you! If things go as planned, my day will come soon as well. It will be an absolute dream come true.

Last edited by Citrine; 09-10-2008 at 08:32 PM..
 
Old 09-10-2008, 08:25 PM
 
Location: Houston, TX
4,679 posts, read 4,965,204 times
Reputation: 1960
Quote:
Originally Posted by Citrine View Post
So happy for those of you who wanted to leave Florida and have since gotten out, and also for you who are on your way out. I am so excited and thrilled for you! If things go as planned, my day will some soon as well. It will be an absolute dream come true.
As I've said before...

It's the best move I've ever made. After leaving Florida I was able to go to college at a State University. I was able to make a living wage. I was able to afford rent WITHOUT 3 roommates. I was able to afford my utilities. I didn't die of heat stroke in September, October, and November, Oh, and I'm also fixing to close on a deal to buy 100 acres of land in Columbia, TN ( about 45 minutes south of Nashville ) for $95,000.

Something I could have NEVER done in Florida. I wish you luck in getting out, It'll be the best thing you ever did !
 
Old 09-11-2008, 08:21 AM
 
Location: somewhere near Pittsburgh, PA
1,309 posts, read 2,002,501 times
Reputation: 1112
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lulu101 View Post
I went on a weekend trip from one part of Fla. to another recently, and not crossing state lines didn't dampen my enjoyment of the trip.
But don't you get bored with it all after awhile? I lived in Central FL most of my life and did weekend trips to St Augustine, West Palm, South Beach, etc. But it's just more of the same when you can't leave the state.

Since I've moved to PA, I've taken weekend trips to Toronto (with a stop at Niagara Falls on the way back), Washington DC, and the big auto show in Detroit. Now that is the kind of variety I like. All were within a 5 hour drive. Where did 5 hours from Orlando get me...Macon, GA? Ugh...
 
Old 09-11-2008, 08:26 AM
 
8,377 posts, read 20,082,575 times
Reputation: 2225
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mugatu View Post

Since I've moved to PA, I've taken weekend trips to Toronto (with a stop at Niagara Falls on the way back), Washington DC, and the big auto show in Detroit. Now that is the kind of variety I like.
Would it be any less interesting if that was all part of the same state? Ugh, all the same temperate forests after all.
 
Old 09-11-2008, 08:35 AM
 
Location: somewhere near Pittsburgh, PA
1,309 posts, read 2,002,501 times
Reputation: 1112
Quote:
Originally Posted by compelled to reply View Post
Would it be any less interesting if that was all part of the same state? Ugh, all the same temperate forests after all.
Yes it would be. That's the point. All those cities were quite different and interesting in their own way because they were in different states (and countries!). Different cultures, different types of people, different ways of speaking, different laws. There's not that much variety within the state of FL.
 
Old 09-11-2008, 08:38 AM
 
8,377 posts, read 20,082,575 times
Reputation: 2225
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mugatu View Post
Yes it would be. That's the point. All those cities were quite different and interesting in their own way because they were in different states (and countries!). Different cultures, different types of people, different ways of speaking, different laws. There's not that much variety within the state of FL.
But if we broke Florida into the states of Palm Beach, St. Johns and Orange and the Republica de Miami-Dade it would be more interesting and the ways of speaking would be different? On the flip side, if Toronto, Detroit, Pittsburgh, Niagara Falls and DC all got annexed into New York state, would it be less interesting?
 
Old 09-11-2008, 08:47 AM
 
Location: Hope, AR
1,505 posts, read 2,031,513 times
Reputation: 240
But realistically you'll get busy with life--you won't really be visiting those places often unless you know people there. Maybe twice a year.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mugatu View Post
Yes it would be. That's the point. All those cities were quite different and interesting in their own way because they were in different states (and countries!). Different cultures, different types of people, different ways of speaking, different laws. There's not that much variety within the state of FL.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


 

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2014, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 - Top