Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-16-2007, 10:28 PM

598 posts, read 2,269,370 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by macguy View Post
This is in Chipley just this week
http://www.fosterfollynews.com/home/news/story.php?sid=1248 (broken link)
lol That's laughable. First off, the irresponsible owners will not register with the city and second there is no way to prove a dog to be a "pit bull" as 99.9% are not from UKC or AKC registered stock (Staffordshire). Pit Bull is not a breed. What people commonly refer to as a "pit bull" is based solely on a look and can be any of a huge variety of mixed bulldog breeds.

Why don't they just say bulldog...

that is what they are targeting, a bulldog mix. That's the truth of the matter.

Last edited by summergal; 03-16-2007 at 10:57 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2007, 10:55 PM

2,313 posts, read 3,194,215 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by summergal View Post
lol That's laughable. First off, the irresponsible owners will not register with the city and second there is no way to prove a dog to be a "pit bull" as 99.9% are not from UKC or AKC registered stock. What people commonly refer to as a "pit bull" is based solely on a look and can be any of a huge variety of mixed bulldog breeds.

Why don't they just say bulldog...

that is what they are targeting, a bulldog mix. That's the truth of the matter.
I think in Dade county they use some kind of, "If it is a certain percent" type of thing. When I had one I had to carry $300,000 in added insurance on my home owners in Broward county. I don't think they require it anymore though. I had the same idea as you but I had to have a thing from the vet and he wasn't going to lie, he knows what he is looking at. Regarding Chipley I would think the owner who doesn't regester their dog could find themselves in some real trouble. Cities like to impose those $250 a day kind of fines till you comply with what they ask. They are in the drivers seats and not worth screwing with. Those fines are real and you will end up with a lien on your property from the city.

Last edited by macguy; 03-16-2007 at 11:22 PM..

Old 03-16-2007, 11:42 PM

598 posts, read 2,269,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by macguy View Post
I think in Dade county they use some kind of, "If it is a certain percent" type of thing. When I had one I had to carry $300,000 in added insurance on my home owners in Broward county. I don't think they require it anymore though. I had the same idea as you but I had to have a thing from the vet and he wasn't going to lie, he knows what he is looking at. I would think the owner who doesn't regester their dog could find themselves in some real trouble. Cities like to impose those $250 a day kind of fines till you comply with what they ask. They are in the drivers seats and not worth screwing with. Those fines are real and you will end up with a lien on your property from the city.
I don't understand how they could use a "percent of test", considering that there is nothing to test it against. There isn't a "pit bull" test as far as I've ever heard... pit bull is a generic term for a typical look. Unless the dog came from a AKC/UKC breeder as a registered Staff, calling it a pit is nothing more than seeing a few "typical" bulldog type features and calling it a generic term. A vet is no different. No vet can identify with certainty that any dog is a pit bull. He may say "pit bull type" but it's only a guess and a generic label. My vet calls them what they are... mixed terrier.

Unfortunately, those people who are responsible and try to do the right thing are the only ones who will pay that $200. It's a shame to penalize good owners with good pets when the problem is not there. There isn't a thug on the planet dumb enough to register. If the city comes looking, they will just move the dog, set it free or kill it.

Old 03-17-2007, 12:02 AM

2,313 posts, read 3,194,215 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by summergal View Post
I don't understand how they could use a "percent of test", considering that there is nothing to test it against. There isn't a "pit bull" test as far as I've ever heard... pit bull is a generic term for a typical look. Unless the dog came from a AKC/UKC breeder as a registered Staff, calling it a pit is nothing more than seeing a few "typical" bulldog type features and calling it a generic term. A vet is no different. No vet can identify with certainty that any dog is a pit bull. He may say "pit bull type" but it's only a guess and a generic label. My vet calls them what they are... mixed terrier.

Unfortunately, those people who are responsible and try to do the right thing are the only ones who will pay that $200. It's a shame to penalize good owners with good pets when the problem is not there. There isn't a thug on the planet dumb enough to register. If the city comes looking, they will just move the dog, set it free or kill it.
In Dade if they say it's a pit bull, it's a pit bull. It would be up to you to fight and you'll lose. They passed that law with reason and intent, your not jerking them around with some circular logic. Chipley is a small town of around 3000, there is nothing goes on in that town they don't know about. From the article it sounds like other towns around there have successfully passed similar ordinances. People don't want those dogs around, period.

Old 05-01-2007, 12:00 PM

1,930 posts, read 10,173,578 times
You know what! I am getting so sick of this! I try so hard to be nice but sometimes its almost imposible! I love animals and people, I am all around a pretty nice person.. Im not a criminal, Im not crazy..I would like to think Im pretty normal... I keep saying this but I am going to say it again! I have owned many breeds in my life, I have had 1 chocolate lab, 1 black lab, 1 fox hound, 1 cocker spaniel, 2 mix breeds or mutts (w/e you want to call them), 2 mini schnauzers, and now my husband and I own 2 american pit bull terriers... 1st of all I have to say I dont have "pit bulls" thats not a breed! Thats a ignorant term used to group any dog that has a large head, wide chest and short hair! I have 2 american pit bull terrier.. pure bred w/ papers! and 2nd they are the best dogs I have ever had or been around! As far as "pit bulls" not being trustworthy, thats crap.. and if you believe that I really feel sorry for you! My "pit bulls" are more trustworthy than any other dog I have had... It all depends on if the dogs owner is responsible or not! I have never been bit by a "pit bull" or even thought that I would ever get bit by a "pit bull"... No one I know has ever been bit by a "pit bull"... However I have been bit by a chow and bit in the face by a lab! I know a lab (not the one I was bit by) that had to be put down because he attacked 5 people! My cocker spaniel was so mean! she was not abused or negected in any way! and she was just mean! Kids used to play this game where they would see who could run through my back yard w/ out getting bit! (we have an electrical fence.. and thank god none of them never got hurt doing that crap!) The 2 mini schnauzers were also never beat or neglected and they bit (between the 2 of them) 3 people!... As far as "pit bulls" just being born horrible monsters thats not true! Any breed can be mean! Its all on the owner! Even if your dog is mean and you didnt do anything to make it that way it doesnt mean its a bad dog and if you are a responsible owner there will never be anyway that your dog can be a threat to anyone or anything because your dog should be contained! I am so sick to death of people thinking I a nuts because of my breed of choice! AND! I am sooooo sick of people thinking my dogs are monsters! THEY ARE NOT! Brooklyn and Destiny are so smart, sweet, loving, loyal, tolerant, obediant, calm, and funny! They seem to have their own sense of humor and its amazing how human like they can be at times! They wouldnt do anything but love you and all they want from you is love! They are big babies! I live in a duplex and the people who rent the other side HATED "pit bulls" when they moved in! They wanted us kicked out!... they have a 4 year old and a 2 year old and they were scared to death that their kids wouldnt be able to safely play outside or even walk to the car! BUT.... as soon as they met Brooklyn and Desy they fell in love with them! The dogs LOVE their kids and love vanessa and rick! They are sooo good with the kids! Brooklyn and Destiny also LOVE my husband little sister and brother who are young also.. they are 8 and 6.. american pit bulls terriers are normal WONDERFUL with children! The American Temperament Testing Society does temperament testing throughout the year at breed clubs and compiles the statistics. Their overall pass rate for breeds is 80%... APBTs and AMSTAFFs are routinly in the 80-82 percentile, meaning 80+% of the dogs tested passed the temperament test. That is a very high percentage, especially when comparing to breeds which are common family dogs, such as, GOLDEN RETRIEVERS and BICHON FRISE tested at 77%, CHIHUAHUA at 71%, GREHOUND at 81% and LHASA APSO at 71%. These test results are available at www.atts.org... I am not saying any of these breeds are bad but I am saying "pit bulls" are more tolerant than they are and there for means they should normaly be better with children!... You shouldnt believe all the crap you hear on tv! ALOT of the time when they say a "pit bull" attacked someone its not a "pit bull" at all... there is currently something like 20+ dogs mistaken for "pit bulls".... and just because you dont hear about other breeds attacking doesnt mean it doesnt happen! The media tells you the stroys that get attention! and it just happens to that "pit bulls" get attention!... People fear what they dont know.. its sad but true! and people fear "pit bulls" because most of them are completely ignorant to the FACTS about "pit bulls".. they are just simply uneducated about the breeds! and it breaks my heart to hear all these people feeding into all of these BS lies about these wonderful breeds! Whether some people like it or not during the 20's, 40's and 50's the American Pit Bull Terrier was the number 1 family dog.. to this day they are still one of the most popular family dogs!... american pit bull terriers, american staffordshire terriers, and staffordshire bull terriers are police dogs, therapy dogs, search and resuce dogs! They are wonderful breeds and it is such a shame that they are so misunderstud! We could possibly kill off one of the BEST breeds around because of the lack of education and the need that some people have to gossip and start crap for no reason!

Old 05-01-2007, 12:06 PM

These are my babies! Brooklyn is our 1 year old male and Destiny is our 4 month old female! They are like our children! we would do anything for them and we will be keeping them not matter what happens with this BSL crap! Just look in their eyes and tell me if they look like monsters to you! All of this crap breaks my heart! I wish people would just open their eyes!!

This video is the best one I have seen yet! EVERYONE should watch this! It doesnt matter if you lik "pit bulls" or not... This is a video everyone should see! PLEASE watch it, its not long...
http://server.inalbum.com/show/jodip...html?296033009

Old 05-01-2007, 12:09 PM

Old 05-01-2007, 12:23 PM

6,853 posts, read 22,463,765 times
As an owner of a red nose american staffordshire terriers with papers also, I have to say this in defense of this last poster, theses dogs are on average great with people. However I think they are not so great with other animals. My brother-in-law had two pits (one male one female) and could never leave them alone as they would attack one another other wise and he would be going to vet through the back door with a bloody dog. Our pit grew up with other dogs, but at the age of 2 something changed and he can not be with other animals, otherwise he would kill them.

I think the problem that people have (including myself) with this breed is how powerful they are compared to other breeds like a chiuahua or dachsund (my sisters dachsunds are little ankle bitters, but they will not do the same damage an 80 pound pitbull can). I think if a chiauhau could do the same damage a pitbull can, we would see the same response out of people like we see for pitbulls.

You know my Jack russell was attacked by a pitbull 2 days before Christmas, if you ever seen a pitbull attack another animal, you would never turn your back again on a pitbull. The pitt that attacked my dog, is great with people (however I wouldn't leave him with kids) but awefull with other animals. This dog is treated great never been beat, and still has the mentality to fight/kill any other animal, this breed was breed to fight, and even though people may think their dog is the sweetest thing now, they are known to turn on their owners later in life. Other breeds are known to turn on their owners also, for example dalamations are so in-breed that some have aggression issues at some point in their live. It goes back to the type of damage the jaws and fighting style of a pit bull. Also the type of owners that usually own these dogs are not the most lets say "responsible" people.

Old 05-01-2007, 01:04 PM

I agree 100%... Our male, Brooklyn, doesnt like many animals... I would never leave him alone with any other animals or let him out of the house without a leash.. Our female, destiny, likes everyone and everything... Brooklyn and destiny get along.. they have never gotten in a fight..but anytime we leave we put them in their crates because you never know what could happen. I know alot of "pit bulls" that dont like other animals. They were bred for dog fighting... but I havent seen any that didnt like people (thats not to say they all like peope, lol, I just havent been around any that didnt like people)... also, although brooklyn and destiny are really good with adults and children we would NEVER EVER leave either of them alone with any adult or child.. it doesnt matter how many times they have been around them, we would never leave them alone. I dont even allow people to come in my home with the dogs out of their crates unless my husband is home (brooklyn is about 65lbs and I am about 110... so if he wanted to attack someone I wouldnt be able to do much!) I really dont think he would hurt anyone unless they did something to me or my husband but you can never be too safe and I dont want to be the reason that someone has a bad opinion about "pit bulls"...I do see where you are comming from about their size.. I understand they can cause some serious damage.. and thats where responsible ownership comes in... You should never have your dog in any situiation where anything could happen. Your dog is your responsability... My dogs have never attacked anyone (although brooklyn doesnt like animals) he has never attacked any of them and thats because I.. as a resonsible owner... would never give him the chance to.... BUT.. As far as what you said about pits being known to turn on people I dont agree with that atall!.. no breed of dog just turns on someone. Dog aggression is nearly always preceded by some kind of warning, and there is always a reason behind the attack. However, many inexperienced owners do not recognize the dog's behavior as aggression, or refuse to acknowledge it as a warning sign. The only exception I can think of is Springer Rage, a rare and controversial neurological condition that manifests itself as a spontaneous attack, followed by confusion, and then a return to normal behavior. Pit Bulls are NOT prone to this condition. There are individual dogs of any breed that may be more aggressive to others.... and the jaw comment.. You didnt really explain what you ment about the jaws so I cant say I disagree but if you are talking about pits having a very high bite pressure or their jaws locking I disagree....For the bite pressure myth... Dr. Brady Barr of National Geographic (Dangerous Encounters: Bite Force, 8pm est 8/18/2005) – Dr. Barr measured bite forces of many different creatures. Domestic dogs were included in the test. Here are the results of all of the animals tested: Humans: 120 pounds of bite pressure Domestic dogs: 320 LBS of pressure on avg. A German Shepard, American Pit Bull Terrier (APBT) and Rottweiler were tested using a bite sleeve equipped with a specialized computer instrument. The APBT had the least amount of pressure of the 3 dogs tested... and as far as the myth about jaws locking.. the "pit bulls" jaws are the same as any other breed of dog, any Veterinarian can verify this is simply a myth. "Pit Bulls" have been bred to not let go, however, their jaws do not lock... as for the rest of the pit myths if you google pit bull myths it brings up alot of stuff... Thank you for responding to my comment...

Old 05-01-2007, 01:17 PM

6,853 posts, read 22,463,765 times
When I said jaws, I wasn't speaking of pressure. I meant the fact that terriers just don't bite and let go. They will bite, hold on, and thrash the toy or what ever they are attacking. Pits are terriers in the end, but much more powerfull than my Jack Russell Terriers. When the pit attacked my jack, the pit held his bight for 5 minutes after the jack finally stopped moving (I was holding the jack still), I guess thed pit thought the jack was dead. But I was just holding the jack still while someone was holding the pit still. 5 minutes till the pit let go. They are a determined, powerful breed, that doesn't belong in the neighborhoods. They are loose canons, you just never know. Why have something like this near other peopl. Ok, they can be on a far, far away from other people and animals.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida