Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-03-2007, 07:41 PM

2,313 posts, read 3,191,870 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by moving-soon View Post
Just curious, i'm a positive advocate of 'bully breeds', i am in NO WAY for unethical horrific dog fighting. I am a pit bull advocate. I rescued 3 puppies, all different times, when they were starving and being mistreated. I have 3 WONDERFUL, CALM, OBDIENCE TRAINED, NON-AGRESSIVE, LOVING, staffordshire dogs. I'm involved in legislation against breed discrimination...i hate when those accuse pits of terrible things. ANYWAY!!!!! my question is...are there any laws against pits in florida??? They don't look like pits--ears not cropped. I know some laws require microchips, muzzles, etc. I'm a very responsible dog owner. They have all thier required immunizations...even extra ones such as lyme, bordetella(kennel cough) the other new ones gerada?? the one for if dogs drink standing water...and they also have the new vaccine for prevention of tooth decay. All my dogs are licensed though my hometown--they have thier dog tags-city licenses, they are all altered--males/female--all three are either spayed and neutered. I have heard some states require muzzels if out walking... does florida require muzzles?? Of course, my dogs are ALWAYS leashed. I really hate when others dont leash dogs....sorrry....but i've had rotts, shepherds and even little toto (pekaneses-chiwawas) sorry about spellling...come run and attack MY pits..believe it or not... i even had a couple of labs run over to me and not listen to their owners...sooooo does anyone know of any pit legislation in the state of florida??? ALSO ARE DOGS ALLOWED LEASHED ON ANY BEACHES IN FLORIDA???? . i, of course, always pit up their poopoo...cuz it'll be me that steps in it!!!! Thanks to all my reading my lengthly post, please accept apology for misspelling. AND to all Pits are Great Dogs...please contact your legislator to make animal fighting, whether pit fighting or cockfighting illegal and make pit fighters guilty of felonys, do time in the big house and give them excessive fines for doing this sickening thing.... THANKS TO ALL for being a voice to those who cant speak!!! woof woof from my pitz crew too!!

http://www.sun-sentinel.com/news/loc...home-headlines
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2007, 09:00 PM

14,492 posts, read 26,592,930 times
Lightbulb nice to read-

Quote:
Just curious, i'm a positive advocate of 'bully breeds', i am in NO WAY for unethical horrific dog fighting. I am a pit bull advocate. I rescued 3 puppies, all different times, when they were starving and being mistreated. I have 3 WONDERFUL, CALM, OBDIENCE TRAINED, NON-AGRESSIVE, LOVING, staffordshire dogs. I'm involved in legislation against breed discrimination...i hate when those accuse pits of terrible things. ANYWAY!!!!! my question is...are there any laws against pits in florida??? They don't look like pits--ears not cropped. I know some laws require microchips, muzzles, etc. I'm a very responsible dog owner. They have all thier required immunizations...even extra ones such as lyme, bordetella(kennel cough) the other new ones gerada?? the one for if dogs drink standing water...and they also have the new vaccine for prevention of tooth decay. All my dogs are licensed though my hometown--they have thier dog tags-city licenses, they are all altered--males/female--all three are either spayed and neutered. I have heard some states require muzzels if out walking... does florida require muzzles?? Of course, my dogs are ALWAYS leashed. I really hate when others dont leash dogs....sorrry....but i've had rotts, shepherds and even little toto (pekaneses-chiwawas) sorry about spellling...come run and attack MY pits..believe it or not... i even had a couple of labs run over to me and not listen to their owners...sooooo does anyone know of any pit legislation in the state of florida??? ALSO ARE DOGS ALLOWED LEASHED ON ANY BEACHES IN FLORIDA???? . i, of course, always pit up their poopoo...cuz it'll be me that steps in it!!!! Thanks to all my reading my lengthly post, please accept apology for misspelling. AND to all Pits are Great Dogs...please contact your legislator to make animal fighting, whether pit fighting or cockfighting illegal and make pit fighters guilty of felonys, do time in the big house and give them excessive fines for doing this sickening thing.... THANKS TO ALL for being a voice to those who cant speak!!! woof woof from my pitz crew too!!
Pits are great loving animals. Those that are vicious were trained that way. Please PM me with any help I can contribute. It is sad that people mis-treat these dogs.

sunny

Old 03-03-2007, 09:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunnyhelena View Post
Pits are great loving animals. Those that are vicious were trained that way. Please PM me with any help I can contribute. It is sad that people mis-treat these dogs.

sunny
In 1981 I held a fund raiser for a family who had no insurance. Their family dog a pit bull had almost completely ripped the face off their four year old boy. This was the family pet and had been raised with the kids. I have owned pit bulls and although I like the breed and find them intelligent and interesting, I don't present the silly front many of the dog owners do. They are very capable of doing a lot of damage.

I find the defensive nature of the owners to be almost naive if not just dishonest about the dogs. Maybe they are just in denial, I don't know. Like I said, I have owned several pit bulls. They were raised like babies and part of the family. The last one I had bit right to the bone of the hand of a friend of ours. All he did was walk in the door. The dogs can become very territorial and can't be trusted. Many dogs are like this but don't have the capabilities of the pit bull to do serious damage, that's the difference.

Old 03-03-2007, 11:22 PM

598 posts, read 2,268,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by macguy View Post
In 1981 I held a fund raiser for a family who had no insurance. Their family dog a pit bull had almost completely ripped the face off their four year old boy. This was the family pet and had been raised with the kids. I have owned pit bulls and although I like the breed and find them intelligent and interesting, I don't present the silly front many of the dog owners do. They are very capable of doing a lot of damage.

I find the defensive nature of the owners to be almost naive if not just dishonest about the dogs. Maybe they are just in denial, I don't know. Like I said, I have owned several pit bulls. They were raised like babies and part of the family. The last one I had bit right to the bone of the hand of a friend of ours. All he did was walk in the door. The dogs can become very territorial and can't be trusted. Many dogs are like this but don't have the capabilities of the pit bull to do serious damage, that's the difference.

Well I truly feel bad for the pain the child went thru, but I would be suspicious of the circumstances of the incident. Was the child teasing it? Was it a backyard "family pet"? Did they raise it from a baby in the home with the child? What was the trigger? Was it food related? Any large breed could do the same damage. Pits are not super breeds and they are not the only ones with that jaw power. I wouldn't judge your dog as untrustworthy, he was doing his job protecting the home. Did he know your friend as part of your family? I guess not, considering your pup treated him as an intruder. Were you there or did your friend just come in?

None of this is unique to pits. I was attacked by a german shepard a couple years ago. All I did was walk past the garage door (we had warehouse bays next to each other). That dog was the most territorial dog I'd seen in many years! I had a standoff in my front yard last year with a "mutt" from the neighborhood. Thinking pits are more capable of killing you than a shepard, chow, dobie, rottie, neighborhood ferrel dog is niave. In the '70s it was the shepard (we had 2) and everyone was scared of them because that was the popular macho dog then. Then it was the Dobie and Rott... Now it's the pit. They are no less trustworthy than any of those breeds.

Sorry but I do defend the breed. You should always be cautious with any of the large dogs (no matter how sweet they are) around strange people and children and animals, especially when people are entering the house. I think it's very easy to forget they are dogs, who think (and react) like dogs when you live so closely with them. Painting a breed as untrustworthy because your one pit bit someone intruding (as the dog saw it) just isn't realistic. Owning any "guard" breed comes with a higher responsibility for the owner to be aware of what your dog may perceive incorrectly ahead of the event and try to prevent an incorrect response. Every dog I ever owned (including 2 schnuezers) and every dog any friend growing up ever owned, had bitten someone at some point in it's life. Usually not too bad but, it doesn't matter. It was still a bite. So I suppose I could say all dogs in general are untrustworthy. lol That's silly.

Old 03-03-2007, 11:31 PM

Quote:
Pack dog attacks are more often mixed breeds of neighborhood mutts. Pack mentality happens with any group of 2 or more dogs regardless of breed.

Even "nice" family pets get this aggressive pack think if left to roam loose together in the streets on a regular basis. This is not a pit bull only behavior by a long-shot.

Btw, taking the family dog outside to scare off those dogs was a very dangerous thing for that man to do. He's lucky he didn't cause his dog to be killed and himself attacked. Really foolish.

Old 03-03-2007, 11:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by summergal View Post
Well I truly feel bad for the pain the child went thru, but I would be suspicious of the circumstances of the incident. Was the child teasing it? Was it a backyard "family pet"? Did they raise it from a baby in the home with the child? What was the trigger? Was it food related? Any large breed could do the same damage. Pits are not super breeds and they are not the only ones with that jaw power. I wouldn't judge your dog as untrustworthy, he was doing his job protecting the home. Did he know your friend as part of your family? I guess not, considering your pup treated him as an intruder. Were you there or did your friend just come in?

None of this is unique to pits. I was attacked by a german shepard a couple years ago. All I did was walk past the garage door (we had warehouse bays next to each other). That dog was the most territorial dog I'd seen in many years! I had a standoff in my front yard last year with a "mutt" from the neighborhood. Thinking pits are more capable of killing you than a shepard, chow, dobie, rottie, neighborhood ferrel dog is niave. In the '70s it was the shepard (we had 2) and everyone was scared of them because that was the popular macho dog then. Then it was the Dobie and Rott... Now it's the pit. They are no less trustworthy than any of those breeds.

Sorry but I do defend the breed. You should always be cautious with any of the large dogs (no matter how sweet they are) around strange people and children and animals, especially when people are entering the house. I think it's very easy to forget they are dogs, who think (and react) like dogs when you live so closely with them. Painting a breed as untrustworthy because your one pit bit someone intruding (as the dog saw it) just isn't realistic. Owning any "guard" breed comes with a higher responsibility for the owner to be aware of what your dog may perceive incorrectly ahead of the event and try to prevent an incorrect response. Every dog I ever owned (including 2 schnuezers) and every dog any friend growing up ever owned, had bitten someone at some point in it's life. Usually not too bad but, it doesn't matter. It was still a bite. So I suppose I could say all dogs in general are untrustworthy. lol That's silly.
I am afraid their record speak for it's self. Reminds me of the people you see on the news who say, "My son would never hurt anybody, he is innocent", as they haul him away covered in the blood of the person he killed. Owning a dog that is a loaded weapon as you describe is not worth it. If it is a guard dog then it would need to be trained. Dogs are not supposed to be biting anyone under any circumstances. Kids can drag the family dog around by it's tail and most will not bite. Dogs are not supposed to bite people. Your defense of dog bites are silly. I don't care if the dog knows who the person is or not they should not bite. Dogs don't make decisions

Old 03-04-2007, 12:26 AM

Here's some good info on the effects of being a 'backyard" dog and insight on how dogs are wired. They need to live with their pack!

http://www.helpinganimals.com/ga_chained_why.asp

Old 03-04-2007, 12:50 AM

Quote:
I am afraid their record speak for it's self. Reminds me of the people you see on the news who say, "My son would never hurt anybody, he is innocent", as they haul him away covered in the blood of the person he killed. Owning a dog that is a loaded weapon as you describe is not worth it. If it is a guard dog then it would need to be trained. Dogs are not supposed to be biting anyone under any circumstances. Kids can drag the family dog around by it's tail and most will not bite. Dogs are not supposed to bite people. Your defense of dog bites are silly. I don't care if the dog knows who the person is or not they should not bite. Dogs don't make decisions
I'm not defending dog bites at all. Simply stating facts. Sorry but all large dogs are loaded weapons. Unfortunately most people neglect to understand this. Dogs do make decisions. And they react to what they perceive in the moment. How is your dog supposed to know if a person is coming in the door to harm the family or not? You have to make that judgement for him. If you are not seen by that dog as pack leader, he will make that decision on his own and not look to you for the answer. If you were not there when the guy came through the door, he was forced to make the judgement on his own in that moment. Sorry, but you can't expect a dog to think things out like a human or just except any 'ole body through the door. You also can't honestly expect a dog to be pulled around by it's tail and not defend itself. To say they shouldn't bite under any circumstances is beyond silly. That's just flat out rediculous. That's precisely the mindset that leads to many bites.

Old 03-04-2007, 03:12 AM

13,395 posts, read 45,020,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by summergal View Post
I find that people DON'T recognize 2 of my dogs as pits right away (1 never unless I tell them lol)... Pits can have very different looks and sizes and shapes. I ran across a website a while back that tests your ability to recognize a pit when you see one, and I didn't score very well at all! So many were boxer, bulldog, ridgeback mix... and they looked like pits. And many of the real pits loked like different breeds. Very interesting, as so many dogs claimed to be pits in "attacks" often are not pits at all.
I remember that website/quiz!
And I did get several answers wrong.
Well, as I said, the pits I've met around here are really sweet and friendly.
Unfortunately, it's true that all dogs (large or small) are loaded weapons.
People who fight dogs are simply dispicable, but that is the macho mentality and reputation that has grown around pitbulls.
This is Max. He has food and shelter but spends most of his days alone in his backyard. We stop by for pets most afternoons.

Old 03-04-2007, 05:47 AM

2,970 posts, read 2,258,745 times
Quote:
You sound like a very earnest and responsible dog lover. I am right there with ya except my breed of choice is the australian shepherd. I have met many sweet-tempered pit bull and pit bull mixes however I will be honest and hope you take this in the manner intended, the pit breed does scare me. I think it is commendable that you rescue mistreated dogs but I don't know if I agree with you. If an animal has been bred for fighting etc. it is certainly not the dogs fault (it's us stupid humans) but I am still very wary of the breed and would not own one myself and can understand why people with small children and pets hesitate to live next to them. I have a friend who's small dog was attacked and killed by a pit. And there have been many stories (one recently) about pit bull attacks on elderly adults and children.

I have not heard any specific legislation in Fl. banning the breed but I do know that many insurance companies either will not insure owners at all, or raise the rates if the homeowner has what is considered a dangerous breed. Of course many get around this by not admitting to owning the dog.
As far as beaches go, yeah, if you find a east cost beach that is dog friendly in cental fl. please let me know. I know there is one toward Flager beach and also a place in St. Petersburg that allows dogs on the beach. That is all I know.

There are a few dog parks in central Fl. where you can unleash your dogs and let them run together (some on lakes so they can swim). Would you unleash your dog then?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida