Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-20-2009, 07:26 AM

88 posts, read 413,943 times

Advertisements

Florida is very different that the northern states. It's different than the western states. I came here from Hawaii and So. Cal 5 years ago and love it. But I didn't move here for weather, it was part of the decision, but not the reason.

For the same reason northerners think it is "too hot" most Floridians dislike the northern states because its "too cold." How could you possibly live like that?

I experienced the same migration in So. Cal and Hawaii that the Floridians have experienced from the northerners by being pushed out of the Florida lifestyle and having to endue with what the migrants think is the best way.

For those who move to Florida, you have to change to the life of a Floridian, and that includes going out in high humidity and bugs in the summer and enjoying life. If you can't then Florida is not for you and you are best staying up north were you are happy. Nobody here wants to hear how you did things up north. That in and of itself is social suicide. In other words, if northerners start complaining about Florida or acting like your in a northern state, the mindset of Floridians is leave you money and leave! The reason Floridians even tolerate the northerners is because of the influx of money being brought in during season. The best time of year is when everyone leaves and only those who really love Florida for what it is are here. It is a different world, but if you complain about how things are here, you will never be happy nor welcomed.

I have a friend that makes a good living filing bankruptcy for people who move here from the northern states who think they can just come on down and open a northern style restaurant, store, whatever. They usually last a couple years before they realize their northern ways/tastes do not work here, Floridians do not want the northern things or the northern way of thinking and they are not welcomed by the Floridians because of their imposing way of trying to press the northern way of life in the south.

In short, I welcome all to Florida, but only those who to change to the life of Florida and leave the northern way of thinking and doing things up north were it belongs. After all, if you are not going to change why both coming here?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2009, 11:27 AM

831 posts, read 2,438,240 times
I agree with your statement that you have to adjust to the Florida lifestyle which maybe difficult if your not accustomed to it. It does take time, which leads me to comment about "the Floridians do not want the northern things or the northern way of thinking and they are not welcomed by the Floridians" this is obvious by how rude we are treated. "the mindset of Floridians is leave your money and leave" this is why Florida gets all the bad posts. As I stated before watch your pocket because your sure to be ripped off here.

Old 01-20-2009, 02:35 PM

214 posts, read 560,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs. P View Post
I think it depends on where "HOME" is for many people. NJ weather is nowhere anywhere even close to the weather in some states.

How would you like to live in a state for 50 years where you are lucky if you get 1-2 days a week where you see the sun? Or shovel a foot of snow a week and winter lasts October to April?

And for the comments I've read on various boards in regards to don't make "weather" your choice to move why not? People can get sick by not getting enough sunshine, both mentally and physically.

Personally at my age, I was sick and tired of never seeing the sun, shoveling snow, leaving for work a good hour before I had to be there (5 miles away) just because of the roads. Working all day going out at lunch having to yet again scrape your windshield off again in 10 degrees, going back in after lunch, coming out to go home again at 5 and going thru the scraping scenario yet again. Bundling up kids, bunding up yourself trying to carry it all to the car with a big thick winter coat on. There are many reasons and many places in the USA where people just have had enough. I haven't heard anyone of my friends that relocated to Florida ever say they miss LAKE AFFECT snow, or blizzards, not a one.
Again, let me stress REAL winter weather, in parts of the North, is great more hard to live in than say NJ.

I would never discourage someone from wanting to move from that type of climate to a better climate...so biggin freaking deal it gets hot and humid, it gets hot and humid in many places in our country during the summer including the North, only they get slammed with little or no sun, and 6 months of winter.

I moved to NC, then SC and I'm going to move to Florida, why? Because frankly I feel winters even in my area of SC are too dang cold, overcast, rainy, foggy and miserable. Maybe I'm not shoveling snow, but I do have to still scrape a windshield which is no big deal, but the constant cloudy skies, and wind are horrible to me.

I will never understand why people prefer to sweat and enjoy the sensation of there skin burning and eye blinding sun over a nice cool cloudy day.

I also never understood how so many people get effected from cold or dreary weather. Me? I love it. Perfect weather to stay inside and catch up on important things in life like spending time with family and friends, or just doing something productive like reading or talking on the phone with an old friend, watch some tv , stuff like that. Plus its a great way to save money instead of going out and blowing it on something meaningless like "drinks" or expensive food and all that jazz. Movie theaters to are a rip off. There are so many ways to watch movies these days its not even fun. On Demand, Netflix, Blockbuster, PPV, plus alot is available on Blu Ray. I enjoy the summer season (4-5 months) but sunny days and warmer weather = alot more idiots outside clogging up the streets and stores and making it harder for me to do what I need to do and go where I need to go.

Then theres the Prima Donnas like the snowbirds who flock to Florida when its chilly up North who despise cold weather or snow because there above shoveling snow. Gimme a break. I hate the heat and warm weather it burns my skin, makes me tired and gives me a headache.

Alot of older folks say they cant be bothered shoveling or the cold makes there frail bones ache but what about the heat? Thats not any good for the oldies either.

The cold weather humbles people. I like that.

Old 01-20-2009, 03:21 PM

5,643 posts, read 9,664,680 times
Default I am 60 years old

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edison Winter View Post
I will never understand why people prefer to sweat and enjoy the sensation of there skin burning and eye blinding sun over a nice cool cloudy day.

I also never understood how so many people get effected from cold or dreary weather. Me? I love it. Perfect weather to stay inside and catch up on important things in life like spending time with family and friends, or just doing something productive like reading or talking on the phone with an old friend, watch some tv , stuff like that. Plus its a great way to save money instead of going out and blowing it on something meaningless like "drinks" or expensive food and all that jazz. Movie theaters to are a rip off. There are so many ways to watch movies these days its not even fun. On Demand, Netflix, Blockbuster, PPV, plus alot is available on Blu Ray. I enjoy the summer season (4-5 months) but sunny days and warmer weather = alot more idiots outside clogging up the streets and stores and making it harder for me to do what I need to do and go where I need to go.

Then theres the Prima Donnas like the snowbirds who flock to Florida when its chilly up North who despise cold weather or snow because there above shoveling snow. Gimme a break. I hate the heat and warm weather it burns my skin, makes me tired and gives me a headache.

Alot of older folks say they cant be bothered shoveling or the cold makes there frail bones ache but what about the heat? Thats not any good for the oldies either.

The cold weather humbles people. I like that.
I shoveled snow 2 years ago when I lived in NY. My neighbor where I used to live was in her 70s and shoveled snow. The apartment where my daughter lives in Queens, BOTH the husband and wife are in the 70s and were shoveling snow this weekend.

Sorry,that doesn't hold true that just because you are old you hate the cold and shoveling. I would rather shovel snow than fry on a beach. I HATE the heat and always have even as a child.

Old 01-20-2009, 03:57 PM

1,133 posts, read 2,931,944 times
I LOVE the sun on my face and in my eyes!! Bring it on! In fact, one of my favorite sayings when somebody complains about the sun in their face is "There a LOT worse things than having the sun in your eyes."

Old 01-20-2009, 05:16 PM

5,643 posts, read 9,664,680 times
Default I don't want a fake "northern" Florida

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liberty911 View Post
Florida is very different that the northern states. It's different than the western states. I came here from Hawaii and So. Cal 5 years ago and love it. But I didn't move here for weather, it was part of the decision, but not the reason.

For the same reason northerners think it is "too hot" most Floridians dislike the northern states because its "too cold." How could you possibly live like that?

I experienced the same migration in So. Cal and Hawaii that the Floridians have experienced from the northerners by being pushed out of the Florida lifestyle and having to endue with what the migrants think is the best way.

For those who move to Florida, you have to change to the life of a Floridian, and that includes going out in high humidity and bugs in the summer and enjoying life. If you can't then Florida is not for you and you are best staying up north were you are happy. Nobody here wants to hear how you did things up north. That in and of itself is social suicide. In other words, if northerners start complaining about Florida or acting like your in a northern state, the mindset of Floridians is leave you money and leave! The reason Floridians even tolerate the northerners is because of the influx of money being brought in during season. The best time of year is when everyone leaves and only those who really love Florida for what it is are here. It is a different world, but if you complain about how things are here, you will never be happy nor welcomed.

I have a friend that makes a good living filing bankruptcy for people who move here from the northern states who think they can just come on down and open a northern style restaurant, store, whatever. They usually last a couple years before they realize their northern ways/tastes do not work here, Floridians do not want the northern things or the northern way of thinking and they are not welcomed by the Floridians because of their imposing way of trying to press the northern way of life in the south.

In short, I welcome all to Florida, but only those who to change to the life of Florida and leave the northern way of thinking and doing things up north were it belongs. After all, if you are not going to change why both coming here?
I want the REAL thing. I didn't want to come here in the first place. Other than having to go out to work, I stay home. Sometimes I will go out, but only at NIGHT when the heat and the blasted sun isn't out.

I am who I am. I have no desire to change for anybody else. I don't want to be a fake Floridian. I want to be a real New Yorker. And I will, in good time.

Old 01-20-2009, 05:36 PM

6,103 posts, read 15,091,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrcoolmrcool28 View Post
I LOVE the sun on my face and in my eyes!! Bring it on! In fact, one of my favorite sayings when somebody complains about the sun in their face is "There a LOT worse things than having the sun in your eyes."

I see both points of view. I loved the winter, and winter sports as a kid, but now I like it warm, and sunny, with longer days. The more sun the better, I am one that does get affected by cloudy, drizzly, over-cast days, when you wake up and head out before the sun rises, and coming home after its dark. That all gets pretty tiresome after a while - at least for me!

I'm and Aquarius - "Let the Sunshine In" do you know that song by (I think Marilyn McCoo and the Fifth Dimension).

Old 01-20-2009, 06:17 PM

208 posts, read 605,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmccauley View Post
I agree with your statement that you have to adjust to the Florida lifestyle which maybe difficult if your not accustomed to it. It does take time, which leads me to comment about "the Floridians do not want the northern things or the northern way of thinking and they are not welcomed by the Floridians" this is obvious by how rude we are treated. "the mindset of Floridians is leave your money and leave" this is why Florida gets all the bad posts. As I stated before watch your pocket because your sure to be ripped off here.
I see your point, but so many people in Florida chose to be miserable, complain, make fun of the people, etc. I see the same complaints in northern states like Vermont and Maine too. The "flatlanders" moving up to the rural countryside, complaining about how rural it is and acting arrogant and rude. When I vistited Maine last summer, a storekeeper was complaining about the rude "Mass-hole" drivers and how they complain about everything. But as long as they spend their money....

So it's not just those rednecks down south who have those feelings. Then again I met many long time transplants who didn't like some of the attitudes either.

But I no longer live in Florida. I now live in Tennessee around tons of transplants and they are very nice people overall. But some of the ones in Florida....

Old 01-20-2009, 09:10 PM

1 posts, read 2,071 times
Default Saludos from Bradenton

Quote:
Originally Posted by let it go View Post
I can't believe that is true for the entire state. Perhaps it is just your area? Have you lived in many places in Florida?
Welcome to beautiful Florida weather!
I also run away from cold areas(Santiago-Chile). My hands and feets could not stand the cold. Went to Sydney (Australia) beautiful weather from Sydney to Cairns(North), subtropical but,...tooooo far away. Went to Los Angeles...toooo many people :-) and...the earthquakes...(like in Chile)...and ...the immigration laws....
I landed here, Florida(after enjoying the nice weather of Venezuela, tropical, and getting my green card), nice weather but...the threat of hurricanes.....and...the threat of HOAs,
Just beware of HOA. Keep away from Associations...You can lose your home (if you own)2 ways here, due to hurricanes or HOA(in all USA). Right now we, all condo owners, must pitch in to cover the maintenance and mortgage(?) cost of those that went thru foreclosure. In my building happily we have only one case, in others they have 3 or more...If you are not used to be told that you are restricted to do this or that and follow orders...never rent/purchase a condominium.
My a/c unit lasted 20 years. It was a Trane. I paid 1.8K for my new a/c in 1998 and...still runs but...it was much better the old one. Beware of the so-called a/c professionals. It pays to shop around and google around to get knowledgeable in every aspect of life to survive.

Old 01-21-2009, 07:29 AM

13,258 posts, read 22,845,258 times
Let me tell you a secret- you don't have to have a pool of your own down here. And actually most people in my suburblet don't. For about $35/month we can buy a community pools membership, which lets us use four different competition and recreation pools, and includes free water aerobics, and a discount on the youth and master's swim team fees.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida