Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-04-2009, 06:43 PM

478 posts, read 1,325,942 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rock Newman View Post
Awesome scenery in Alpharetta ... what some small hills and dried brown front yards ... yes it is nice and upscale with Starbucks , Chili's , and Publix supermarkets on every corner ... but awesome scenery ... puleeeeze North Carolina I can agree , but there is no awesome scenery anywhere in the Atlanta area.. yes some lovely upscale areas such as Buckhead and Mid Town , but no natural sights IMO .
N GA looks a lot like NC. "Starbucks, Publix, and Chili's on every corner?" You are saying this from S FL? LOL. Kind of weird dont you think?

Dried front yards? You seen mine? Seen my neighbors? Three reasons yards in so many FL neighborhoods look like crapola: 1. foreclosed. 2. they dont give a crap, they're moving back up north/the Islands in a few months anyhow 3. They are lazy and just dont feel like mowing the grass.

There are so many freakin foreclosures with weeds and dead grass, you think a little dry/winter season is gonna scare people in Alpharetta?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2009, 06:47 PM

12,384 posts, read 28,524,349 times
upscale is publix, chilis and starbucks now? ...shows the mentality. looks like crappy big corporate chains to me...

Old 05-04-2009, 07:00 PM

478 posts, read 1,325,942 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by compelled to reply View Post
I was close to moving there, but after having an opportunity to spend a month there, I decided against it due to the traffic. I was literally crying at some points. Also, the air was very polluted and I found the summer heat to be worse than South FL. In some ways, Atlanta kind of reminded me of an oversized, more affluent Orlando without the theme parks. I did a short stint in Orlando (Winter Park) and didn't like it too much either. My main problem with South FL is the expense of a lot of things, the drivers, and sometimes I also wish I lived in a more walkable kind of envrionment. I have to drive to a lot of different areas for my job, but I ended up in Weston because I liked the location, the safety and (yes) the diversity was a plus because otherwise, I would probably find this area way too bland. I found my niche, but I'm young and single so otherwise Weston probably wouldn't be my first choice down here.
I dont think Orlando is anything like Atlanta personally. Different people, different vibe, different scenery, different economy, different style, etc... I could go on and on... only thing I can think of they have in common is a lot of crime and terrible traffic.

Old 05-04-2009, 07:02 PM

569 posts, read 1,669,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rock Newman View Post
Awesome scenery in Alpharetta ... what some small hills and dried brown front yards ... yes it is nice and upscale with Starbucks , Chili's , and Publix supermarkets on every corner ... but awesome scenery ... puleeeeze North Carolina I can agree , but there is no awesome scenery anywhere in the Atlanta area.. yes some lovely upscale areas such as Buckhead and Mid Town , but no natural sights IMO .
Atlanta isn't really known for it's spectacular scenery. It is more known for jobs, progress, high tech, high quality of life, lots of young people, great happy hours in the city after work, and an exciting big city in the South. The country northwest of Atlanta and heading toward Calhoun and Chattanooga is very nice though. Florida has no topography whatsoever. Just the beach which most locals don't even get to enjoy because they are working 2 or 3 jobs.

Old 05-04-2009, 07:20 PM

8,377 posts, read 30,912,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrome Microphone View Post
I dont think Orlando is anything like Atlanta personally. Different people, different vibe, different scenery, different economy, different style, etc... I could go on and on... only thing I can think of they have in common is a lot of crime and terrible traffic.
The people aren't really that different (replace Puerto Ricans with Mexicans), the scenery is slightly different (hillier but not a chance in hell could it be compared to Asheville), and the vibe is exactly why I compare it to Orlando. They are both "new" sprawly cities with a lot of chains, a few historical gems, and a lot of traffic. Atlanta mainly has a better economic base and might be a tad "friendlier".

Old 05-04-2009, 07:27 PM

3,368 posts, read 11,674,322 times
I feel "compelled" to give you a bunch of rep. points but I guess I have to "spread the love" a little more before I do.

Old 05-04-2009, 07:30 PM

2,266 posts, read 2,295,356 times
South Florida = Publix, Chevron, KFC, cookie cutter homes, CVS, nasty apartment complex, Burger King, empty condo buildings, palm trees, traffic, more cookie cutter homes, strip malls, Target, McDonalds, Pollo Tropical, no parks, another nasty apartment complex, cheap motels, endless concrete, practically disused freight rail lines, more cookie cutter homes, yet another strip mall, disheveled palm trees, filthy canals, yet another Publix, next to a Winn-Dixie/Walgreens and yet another CVS....

Old 05-04-2009, 07:39 PM

8,377 posts, read 30,912,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BCreass View Post
South Florida = Publix, Chevron, KFC, cookie cutter homes, CVS, nasty apartment complex, Burger King, empty condo buildings, palm trees, traffic, more cookie cutter homes, strip malls, Target, McDonalds, Pollo Tropical, no parks, another nasty apartment complex, cheap motels, endless concrete, practically disused freight rail lines, more cookie cutter homes, yet another strip mall, disheveled palm trees, filthy canals, yet another Publix, next to a Winn-Dixie/Walgreens and yet another CVS....
That sounds like Hialeah.

Old 05-04-2009, 07:42 PM

3,368 posts, read 11,674,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BCreass View Post
Sounds like ugly sprawl all over this country, give or take a few palm trees. Luckily some parts of Miami-Dade County are not like this.

Old 05-04-2009, 07:47 PM

2,266 posts, read 2,295,356 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crisp444 View Post
Sounds like ugly sprawl all over this country, give or take a few palm trees. Luckily some parts of Miami-Dade County are not like this.
Oh, you'll find those "chains" everywhere (even across the world), but it's excessive in South Florida. Every piece of land here is gobbled up and developed into such ugliness. That doesn't happen everywhere, at least not quite at the same scale as it happens here. I don't know who or what to blame...lack of zoning perhaps, or politicians that are having their pockets lined by developers?

Either way, it's made South Florida (most of it) extremely ugly and unappealing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida