Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-04-2010, 10:02 AM

892 posts, read 1,577,267 times

Advertisements

This just in...........

Florida is not a controlled environment
Florida is not an amusment park
Florida makes NO PROMISES about weather at it's border
You can't make "reservations" to Florida and expect everything to be perfect when you get here.

Florida doesn't control it's own weather and is not responsible for your enjoyment while you are here.

EVERY WINTER- it gets cold in Florida........ EVERY FREAKING WINTER.

Sometimes the winters are better or worse based on the NATIONAL WEATHER.

The ENTIRE EASTERN SEABOARD has had an active winter.

The last time I checked.......

Florida is located on the EASTERN SEABOARD.

You can't ask anyone for a refund if the winter weather isn't perfect.

"what about the crops" you ask?

Farming is largely based on weather- sometimes it is really good.......

Sometimes it's really bad.

Show me a state where the farmers are not at the mercy of the weather.

Florida has had many, many years where the weather is hotter or colder than the AVERAGE.

Florida, by nature, is an extreme environment- with extreme weather.

It snowed in Tampa in the late 70's- a couple inches........

You mean to tell me that is was 70 degrees every day that winter....

I moved to Florida in 1987, we used our fireplace every winter for the first 4 or 5 years- it was plenty cold then also.

People act like Florida makes a guarantee on it's weather.......

NO SUCH THING- LUCK OF THE DRAW.

Just reach in your wallet or purse and get your reciept for 'general admission" into Florida and take it to the general manager of Florida and he will gladly refund your admission price.

How many people will be complaining in late SEPTEMBER and OCTOBER when it is still in the 90's with 90%+ humidity?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2010, 10:55 AM

1,457 posts, read 4,055,140 times

Born and still living in Florida my entire life. I may be freezing, but I'm loving this weather. I know the summer heat will be here before you know it.

Old 03-04-2010, 12:23 PM

3,225 posts, read 8,573,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by D-R-B View Post
Just reach in your wallet or purse and get your reciept for 'general admission" into Florida and take it to the general manager of Florida and he will gladly refund your admission price.
Can't find the GM...they say he's on a winter getaway in the islands!

Old 03-04-2010, 01:33 PM

8,489 posts, read 20,643,615 times
Guess this was too important to go in one of the other Florida weather threads.

Yes, some people are complaining. That could be because this has been the COLDEST January and February on record for many areas. This kind of sustained cold is not normal and you would hear complaining from northerners that love cold weather if they were experiencing the hottest summer on record.

I think it is a little more reasonable to expect to see complaining from those that move to a warm weather state when they experience an unnaturally cold winter than it is to see the complaining from those that live in a warm weather state complaining about the heat.

Old 03-04-2010, 01:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Peterson View Post
I think it is a little more reasonable to expect to see complaining from those that move to a warm weather state when they experience an unnaturally cold winter than it is to see the complaining from those that live in a warm weather state complaining about the heat.
Absolutely poignant observation!

Old 03-04-2010, 03:32 PM

3,636 posts, read 9,771,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by D-R-B View Post
This just in...........

Florida is not a controlled environment
Florida is not an amusment park
Florida makes NO PROMISES about weather at it's border
You can't make "reservations" to Florida and expect everything to be perfect when you get here.

Florida doesn't control it's own weather and is not responsible for your enjoyment while you are here.

EVERY WINTER- it gets cold in Florida........ EVERY FREAKING WINTER.

Sometimes the winters are better or worse based on the NATIONAL WEATHER.

The ENTIRE EASTERN SEABOARD has had an active winter.

The last time I checked.......

Florida is located on the EASTERN SEABOARD.

You can't ask anyone for a refund if the winter weather isn't perfect.

"what about the crops" you ask?

Farming is largely based on weather- sometimes it is really good.......

Sometimes it's really bad.

Show me a state where the farmers are not at the mercy of the weather.

Florida has had many, many years where the weather is hotter or colder than the AVERAGE.

Florida, by nature, is an extreme environment- with extreme weather.

It snowed in Tampa in the late 70's- a couple inches........

You mean to tell me that is was 70 degrees every day that winter....

I moved to Florida in 1987, we used our fireplace every winter for the first 4 or 5 years- it was plenty cold then also.

People act like Florida makes a guarantee on it's weather.......

NO SUCH THING- LUCK OF THE DRAW.

How many people will be complaining in late SEPTEMBER and OCTOBER when it is still in the 90's with 90%+ humidity?
Thank you!!! Great post.

Last edited by ChrisA70; 03-04-2010 at 04:03 PM..

Old 03-04-2010, 06:24 PM

574 posts, read 2,045,311 times
I agree that it was a GREAT post! People seem to think that as soon as they cross over from GA to the FL state line the weather will suddenly and magically get warmer. Once on a flight in early January I had a layover in Atlanta. When we boarded the plane there the temp was 23 degrees. When we got ready to touch down in Daytona the pilot announced that it was 34 in Daytona and you should have heard the sounds shock on that plane. Well, what did the people think it was going to be like here. Did they think the temps were going to just suddenly jump up into the 60's and 70's when we crossed the state line? Atlanta is seven freaking hours north of Daytona, so there is not going to be all that drastic of a difference. If the Carolinas are experiencing blizzard conditions people, its not going to be 80 degrees in any FL city unless the cold front hasn't passed through yet, and it almost always does!

Nancy

Old 03-04-2010, 06:48 PM

3,636 posts, read 9,771,754 times
I was very appreciative the day I first ever set foot in FL back in January 1994, it was 71 degrees when I got out of my car in Inverness, FL. When I left MA it was 14 degrees. It was so cool to think it was freezing cold in Ma, and here I was, it was like a summer evening. I had never been to FL before, I knew it was warm(not as hot as it is in the Summer, but... the ex never told me that part) but I did not expect to cross the GA line and be greeted by Flamingos, bikini clad women, and Mai tai's... A week later it was in the upper 20's. Did I whine? Nope I was fine with it. I knew it would not stay like that. Come May... That is a different topic. I know I like it in MA, but I would rather be here with this type of "cold" over the -0's up north. People whine about this winter cold, but they COULD be in Buffalo, the upper midwest, New England... Be appreciative of the 50's, 60's.... It could be a heck of a lot worse.

Old 03-05-2010, 09:39 AM

I'll be the first to admit that I'm uncomfortable in both extremes - too hot/humid and too cold/frigid. Sometimes I wonder which is actually worse and I honestly don't know.

My gut feeling is that extreme cold causes more deaths/suffering than extreme heat. In NYC, when the temps dip below a certain point in winter, the city usually does a round up of homeless people encouraging them to go into heated shelters. While we do have cooling stations in the summer, there's no official "roundup" of homeless where they are moved to such cooling facilities.

Can one conclude that extreme cold is more harmful physically than extreme heat? I'm really not sure, because I also recall incidents years ago in Chicago where a few hundred people died during a heat wave because their homes were not air-conditioned during periods of severe heat. Also, I recall that about a decade ago, several thousands died in France on account of similar issues during a heat wave.

Does anyone have links, stats, info, or a take on which condition results in more fatalities and health issues - extreme heat or extreme cold?

I believe that this discussion ties in to the OP's post in that, for most of us, we have to settle for less than perfect weather wherever we live...and maybe if we knew which is generally more of a health hazard, the whining alleged by the OP might be evaluated differently...resulting in either more "whining"? Or less of it?

Old 03-05-2010, 11:34 AM

2,414 posts, read 5,401,157 times
If you want warm weather on winter vacation, you need to go at least down to Miami.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida