Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-25-2009, 01:12 PM

2,168 posts, read 5,052,386 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moderate Guy View Post
Ah TAN...Florida is like a lover one cares so much for.

The love can escalate and take you to unfathomable highs when you are at the peak of your emotions. But alas, like all love, there can be trials and tribulations. Florida, like any other lover, can cause much grief and anguish...then the love may turn to hate and you want to turn your back and leave her or him forever.

Alas! You leave her behind and move on to greener pastures. But the memories of her soft caresses and tenderness haunt you even as you lie in the arms of another. You reminisce about her beauty - the lovely sunsets, the evening drink on the lanai as you take in her lovely shape in the surrounding lakes, the refreshing flora and fauna. You remember the palms swaying provocatively as you drive by, the sugar cane fields, the citrus trees, the blooming hibiscus.

Then you wonder...should I return to her? Will she forgive me for leaving? Can I accept her with all her faults because of all her great virtues? Will I truly be able to endure her low points. Surely, you muse, my new lover will be perfect and faultless, I just cannot return to the wasteland of a long-forgotten time in my life.

Some can continue that facade, deceiving themselves that it's hate they feel not love, others truly have gotten over that bond...and yet again, others silently, in the still of night, drive down back to Florida's soil accepting that there's no substitute and that the hate they thought they felt was really a metaphor for a love that will haunt them eternally.
Awesome!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-25-2009, 03:12 PM

5,643 posts, read 9,655,649 times
Default Nice post, but my experience is more like a first root canal

Quote:

The love can escalate and take you to unfathomable highs when you are at the peak of your emotions. But alas, like all love, there can be trials and tribulations. Florida, like any other lover, can cause much grief and anguish...then the love may turn to hate and you want to turn your back and leave her or him forever.

Alas! You leave her behind and move on to greener pastures. But the memories of her soft caresses and tenderness haunt you even as you lie in the arms of another. You reminisce about her beauty - the lovely sunsets, the evening drink on the lanai as you take in her lovely shape in the surrounding lakes, the refreshing flora and fauna. You remember the palms swaying provocatively as you drive by, the sugar cane fields, the citrus trees, the blooming hibiscus.

Then you wonder...should I return to her? Will she forgive me for leaving? Can I accept her with all her faults because of all her great virtues? Will I truly be able to endure her low points. Surely, you muse, my new lover will be perfect and faultless, I just cannot return to the wasteland of a long-forgotten time in my life.

Some can continue that facade, deceiving themselves that it's hate they feel not love, others truly have gotten over that bond...and yet again, others silently, in the still of night, drive down back to Florida's soil accepting that there's no substitute and that the hate they thought they felt was really a metaphor for a love that will haunt them eternally.
You are very young in your 20s when your dentist says you need a root canal. You are scared after hearing everyone talk about them. You know you have to do this, but there is a sense of dread and yet anticipation that YOU can beat the pain, etc., etc. After it is over, you move on and never think twice about it. It is over, and the pain and suffering, is long forgotten. You just live your life and never think about that tooth again, because it is FIXED AND OVER.

Fast foward, 20 or 30 years later and your dentist tells you that the same root canal you had way back when has gone bad and you have to do it all over again. This time, you KNOW what to expect. You not want to do this all over again, especially with the same damned tooth, but you know it has to be done and that when it is, at your advanced age this time, it will be the last.

That is how I think of my living in Florida in 1971 for 6 months, and now in 2009 for 2 years, which I want to be over ASAP (just like a gone bad root canal).

Old 09-25-2009, 03:15 PM

3,225 posts, read 8,571,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TANaples View Post
You are very young in your 20s when your dentist says you need a root canal. You are scared after hearing everyone talk about them. You know you have to do this, but there is a sense of dread and yet anticipation that YOU can beat the pain, etc., etc. After it is over, you move on and never think twice about it. It is over, and the pain and suffering, is long forgotten. You just live your life and never think about that tooth again, because it is FIXED AND OVER.

Fast foward, 20 or 30 years later and your dentist tells you that the same root canal you had way back when has gone bad and you have to do it all over again. This time, you KNOW what to expect. You not want to do this all over again, especially with the same damned tooth, but you know it has to be done and that when it is, at your advanced age this time, it will be the last.

That is how I think of my living in Florida in 1971 for 6 months, and now in 2009 for 2 years, which I want to be over ASAP (just like a gone bad root canal).
Nice post too, TAN.

Old 09-25-2009, 04:41 PM

208 posts, read 612,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TANaples View Post

LOL! Wow, never pictured Florida as a root canal. I like Moderate Guys comparison better, less pain involved. Sorry you associate Florida with such agonizing pain.

Old 09-25-2009, 05:18 PM

132 posts, read 370,164 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trusses View Post
Can I ask you what you what you mean by the upper-middle region of FL not being as "outwardly" Floridian?
I see upper-middle regions as less outwardly Floridian by being more like other Southern states. Less of the "beachy", palm trees and bikini vibe, and more of the farmland and slower pace of more rural areas.

Old 09-25-2009, 09:48 PM

1,978 posts, read 4,405,884 times
Quote:

I couldn't have said it better! The Lover analogy fits perfectly! I felt it when I landed at Ft Lauderdale. The Florida air caresses you like a long lost lover! I long to be reunited with the 'Florida Lady' - the other half of my soul!

Old 09-27-2009, 08:38 PM

132 posts, read 370,164 times
I can understand why Florida may have been an intriguing destination 50, or even 30 years ago, as far as the culture, and moderate to low level of development back then. But even regardless of that, it really puzzles me why some people LOVE Florida. As though you can't get nice wheather and sunshine anywhere else.
Sunshine, beaches and beauty abound in places like Southern California, and the air doesn't feel like warm soup on your skin either.

I'm moving from South Florida, to Southern California early next year, and I can hardly wait. I feel CA is everything FL claims to be, and so much more. But the differences are what make people gravitate to one over the other. Not so much apples and oranges I guess, as oranges and oranges.

Old 09-28-2009, 08:11 AM

3,225 posts, read 8,571,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LateNight View Post
it really puzzles me why some people LOVE Florida. As though you can't get nice wheather and sunshine anywhere else.
Sunshine, beaches and beauty abound in places like Southern California, and the air doesn't feel like warm soup on your skin either.
That's okay, LateNight. Love cannot be explained, it must be experienced or felt for oneself. We can't all love the same person, place, or thing.

From the sentiments you've described, I'd say California would be a great fit for you just as Florida is for many others. Different strokes for different folks...it's all good to go...all America!

Old 09-28-2009, 09:34 AM

63 posts, read 248,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LateNight View Post
I can understand why Florida may have been an intriguing destination 50, or even 30 years ago, as far as the culture, and moderate to low level of development back then. But even regardless of that, it really puzzles me why some people LOVE Florida. As though you can't get nice wheather and sunshine anywhere else.

I'm moving from South Florida, to Southern California early next year, and I can hardly wait. I feel CA is everything FL claims to be, and so much more. But the differences are what make people gravitate to one over the other. Not so much apples and oranges I guess, as oranges and oranges.
Because some people, like me, hate the weather in Southern California. It is cold half of the time. For instance, San Diego has average lows in the 40's and 50's for half of the year and average highs of 60 to 70. If I wanted to swim in 50-60 degree water full of jellyfish, I would pour ice and jellyfish in my bathtub and do it here with the windows open so at least the air would be hot.

Then again, I was born in Fort Lauderdale and did live in Boca Raton. Moved to Atlanta (hated it), moved to a small town in MA (quaint, cold) and then to downtown Boston (nice little compact city but I am not a penguin and am not into self-torture).

Right now, it is 84 (slight overcast) with 80% humidity and a feels like temp of 95. I have the rest of the day free so I am going outside to work in the yard and then on the boat. I wouldn't have it any other way.

This just shows you that each and every one has a different view on some things. I am amazed how many people poured in down here without realizing what they were getting themselves into. I kind of wished they hadn't.

Old 09-28-2009, 11:26 AM

6,853 posts, read 22,453,322 times
^^^Great post, LateNight great post too. We all have different likes and dislikes, which is a good thing. I am with LateNight trying to move to Southern California, for me I look forward to cooler weather, so I can do more year round outdoor activities (its to hot in South Florida most of the year for us). I look forward to sitting next to a fire outside having a glass of wine in the crisp night air. Neither of you are wrong, we are just different.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida