Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-18-2011, 09:11 AM

670 posts, read 1,277,674 times

Advertisements

OP,
Your cons definitely outweigh the pro's of you going back there. I have been in your place before and not that long ago. I finally accepted the fact that FL is the best place for me and my family and our goals. I also hate winters there and they affected my moods a great deal. My reasoning for wanting to go back to Northern VA was family and friends too and I am sooooo glad that I didnt do it. I love them, I miss them but I talk to them everyday via FB and telephone and I visit every year. In the 4.5 years that I have been here "alone", I have even come to appreciate having my distance from them.They are now starting to visit me and my cousin just moved to FL so its all working out! Just visit more or get skype to hold you down until you establish a new friend base down here. Good luck to you. I would hate to see you move somewhere that is way more expensive and that is going to depress you in the winter time just for missing family and friends. Think of QUALITY of life.

Quote:
Originally Posted by forty six & two View Post
I'm the OP...

Well, I just decided to re-read this thread now... Searched for it because I'm in a situation similar to the original one. I'm still in Boca, and have gotten to know the area from Ft Lauderdale up to Delray Beach pretty damn well. Renting a house with three friends from school (none are from FL btw) for a VERY cheap price in north Boca. Beautiful house, in ground pool, and loving the weather.

I absolutely love the weather, even in summer! The problem I have is that all of my best friends and family are up north. I have a small amount of friends and the only close friends I have down here are the people I live with. Slim pickings in terms of quality people down here, whereas up north it seemed like I could hit it off with pretty much everyone.

I'm trying to decide whether or not to go to school in Boston when my lease expires this spring. Here are the pros and cons...

Boston:
+Being with family is super important to me
+I have a HUGE social circle to work off of between NH, Boston, and Providence
+I LOVE it up there in the summer
-Cost of rent will be double what I pay now for a dump in Boston (I pay >$500/mo for a great house with a screened in pool)
-I f**king HATE winter

Boca
+Beautiful weather, beaches and nature
+Want to own a boat after graduation
+Now that I have residency, FAU will be less than a quarter or the price of a school in MA and I have two years left
-Lonely and feel empty

Basically I need to decide between moving back with family and friends in Boston, have to endure cold dark winters again which will make me miss Florida, and pay $20k+ a year for two more years of school, or stay here and be somewhat depressed because I'm not with the people I love, but have to only pay $5k a year or something very cheap for school.

I have to think long term here. Two more years is a long time. Ill be more established if I decide to stay here, and with a fancy engineering job (knock on wood) I'll have the means to live an amazing life here in SoFla, while having the money to get a studio apt up in Providence or Boston for frequent visits. But I would be a Floridian for a good amount of time and I'd imagine I would feel guilty for leaving my family in the dust, seeing them only a few times a year.

If I move back, Ill have much more school loan debt, and I probably will not be coming back to FL.

This is the struggle I've been dealing with for the past two years!! I just do not know what to do, and "time is not telling."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2011, 11:48 PM

38 posts, read 102,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NALEXAND View Post
OP,
Your cons definitely outweigh the pro's of you going back there. I have been in your place before and not that long ago. I finally accepted the fact that FL is the best place for me and my family and our goals. I also hate winters there and they affected my moods a great deal. My reasoning for wanting to go back to Northern VA was family and friends too and I am sooooo glad that I didnt do it. I love them, I miss them but I talk to them everyday via FB and telephone and I visit every year. In the 4.5 years that I have been here "alone", I have even come to appreciate having my distance from them.They are now starting to visit me and my cousin just moved to FL so its all working out! Just visit more or get skype to hold you down until you establish a new friend base down here. Good luck to you. I would hate to see you move somewhere that is way more expensive and that is going to depress you in the winter time just for missing family and friends. Think of QUALITY of life.
True, thanks very much for the insight. It would be stupid financially to go back, and it's only 2 more years of my life. I can choose where to get a job after graduation whether that be up north or FL...

When you said you have family did you mean your own family... or were you talking about the long term goals of you/family up north?? Also, where in Florida do you live?

...Anyways... I think Boca is pretty boring. If I graduate down here and stay I think a really exciting place would be to live in a place near downtown Ft Lauderdale. Like Las Olas Isles..... That would give me a greater sense of exciting city life and there would be so much to do.

Old 03-06-2011, 04:08 PM

18 posts, read 37,630 times
Unless the career opportunities will be much better after graduating from a college in the Boston area, I would probably stay at FAU. After you finish FAU you can then decide where you want to live.

Old 02-26-2013, 10:54 PM

20 posts, read 32,807 times
I recommend getting out of Florida. Trust me, I made the same mistake in deciding to transfer to a University in De Land,Florida (partly for the weather partly because there was a program screw up at my previous University and I was not getting the help I needed with my computer work).

Biggest mistake ever. The people (both in the town and at the University) were horrible. They loved to cause drama and be a bunch of bullies (they also don't respect the constitution and legit civil rights, and yes I am a moderate conservative). For no reason at all I was targeted (there are claims that it was because I associated with someone most people didn't like when I first transferred in but that became worse when a gay guy added onto things behind my bad). They were the most antagonistic and craziest people I have ever met (granted not every college student was from Florida but still).

The worst part was, it was non stop. I had a hard time getting work done because people would keep approaching me to bring drama to me, or spread rumors about me to the point that I felt anxiety from being on campus due to how bad I was being treated. It got to the point that my safety was in jeopardy and because of the rumors surrounding that situation I ended up being borderline assaulted in the down town.

So yeah, I recommend having nothing to do with the state. It is pretty much white trash. And if a person isn't "white trash" they are "the snobby elitist type."

Last edited by theblackmist; 02-26-2013 at 11:12 PM..

Old 02-27-2013, 10:54 AM

5,294 posts, read 10,208,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jim09091 View Post
Because some people, like me, hate the weather in Southern California. It is cold half of the time. For instance, San Diego has average lows in the 40's and 50's for half of the year and average highs of 60 to 70. If I wanted to swim in 50-60 degree water full of jellyfish, I would pour ice and jellyfish in my bathtub and do it here with the windows open so at least the air would be hot.

Then again, I was born in Fort Lauderdale and did live in Boca Raton. Moved to Atlanta (hated it), moved to a small town in MA (quaint, cold) and then to downtown Boston (nice little compact city but I am not a penguin and am not into self-torture).

Right now, it is 84 (slight overcast) with 80% humidity and a feels like temp of 95. I have the rest of the day free so I am going outside to work in the yard and then on the boat. I wouldn't have it any other way.

This just shows you that each and every one has a different view on some things. I am amazed how many people poured in down here without realizing what they were getting themselves into. I kind of wished they hadn't.
San Diego's water actually has a winter low of 60F and a summer high of 73F. Plus, not many jellyfish here. Moreso in FL.

Old 03-01-2013, 09:05 AM

5,390 posts, read 9,692,068 times
I went to FAU in Boca and loved it! So funny how peopl;e can have different experiences. I lived in Indian River Towers for 2 years.... from 2006 to 2008...graduated in 2010 and LOVED the place. I was sad it had to come to an end.

I made many friends. Having moved from Philadelphia (kinda similar to u and Boston) to attend FAU.
I think it really is what u make it.

I was heavily involved with the school, gotta job on campus, joined a bunch of clubs and organizations, etc. So I had plenty to do and met so many cool people from all over the country and world really. Wouldn't trade my FAU experience for anything.

Wish it worked out better for u. Hang in there

Old 03-01-2013, 09:13 AM

16,904 posts, read 16,127,347 times
Everyone I know here in south Florida doesn't give a crap about how you feel about it here. Don't like it? Do us a favor and leave, whiners.
You come into the Florida forum just to insult the people that live here - this thread should be deleted or moved to your northern forums.

Old 03-02-2013, 11:44 PM

57 posts, read 113,736 times
I'd say its the area for sure. pretty much anything south of Port St. Lucie and on the atlantic coast is hell for me, minus the keys. Most people are from up north or foreigners. Little sense of community belonging or cultural identity. I think you'd be happier on the gulf coast or north florida, where it's still the south and the people are real.
that said, if south florida was so bad people wouldn't be leaving Massachusetts in droves to get there...

Old 03-02-2013, 11:58 PM

666 posts, read 1,291,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by forty six & two View Post
I'm from the Boston area, a college student, who wanted to escape the winter and snow. I left everything behind to start over new at Florida Atlantic University. I'm soon finding out how much of a hell this place is.

The weather is great; the people are horrible. Here's a sum of the adjectives I can use to describe all of the people I've met in the Boca area: antisocial, sheltered, snobby, stuck up, shallow, boring, soul-less, unmotivated, withdrawn, unadventurous, unexciting, uninteresting, narrow-minded.

At college up north I lived in the dorms. Everyone knew each other, everyone hung out with each other, and everyone was friends and actually did things. I had a million friends.

But I was suffering from seasonal affective disorder. I had to get away from winter. So I came to FAU at the end of August to live in the dorms.

Everyone is segregated by race it seems. Sheltered and narrow-minded. Blacks hang out with blacks and whites hang out with whites.

Everyone seems to hang out with that one person they meet because they're either too anxiety prone or unmotivated to meet new people. Everyone stays in their room and form almost an unbreakable social barrier around themselves. They might seem nice, but it's superficial. They don't want to hang out or meet new people, they stick with what they know. No one seems to have substance or a personality. It's like I'm surrounded by mindless, soulless zombies, like I'm playing "The Sims."

I know a bunch of people are going to come and tell me to work hard, go out and make it happen blah blah blah. I have been. I've met literally two friends since Ive been here, and our bonds aren't even strong. I've been here an entire month and have never been more lonely in my life.

My opinion: the only good thing about Florida is the sunny, warm weather. Nothing else.

Am I missing something?
I believe you described SOUTH Florida. The Miami Area has a lot of rude people. People complain also on the Tampa Bay Area but I live here and so far nothing to complain except that maybe people here seem more reserved and silent, for some unknown reason. But rude? Not too much. The amount rude people in proportion to anywhere, not more or less.

Old 03-03-2013, 12:32 AM

15,408 posts, read 6,196,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rainroosty View Post
Everyone I know here in south Florida doesn't give a crap about how you feel about it here. Don't like it? Do us a favor and leave, whiners.
You come into the Florida forum just to insult the people that live here - this thread should be deleted or moved to your northern forums.
It is this hate and intolerance that only feeds the anti-Florida sentiment. You are your own worst enemy. You do it to yourself. Don't blame those who share their stories. Get your act together for a change. Disney World is nice (I visited in 1991), but there is more to life than hosting tourists. You just can't handle the truth.

You screwed up the 2000 election and your voting system last year was an embarrassment. BTW, it is not about who won...it is about having pride and integrity. You can tell others off, but at least get your act together. Aren't you embarrassed about being a laughingstock every four years (at least)?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida