Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-08-2007, 07:44 PM

670 posts, read 1,742,942 times

Advertisements

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2007, 07:47 PM

22,584 posts, read 54,276,538 times
Yeah. Nice travel brochures. Has nothing to do with making a living in the state, or all the other realities of real life.

Florida is real life folks. You have to deal with crime and high costs and all that comes with it. It is not Disney World.

Old 05-08-2007, 07:53 PM

2,267 posts, read 3,297,053 times
One of the things I love the most if being close to the beach and having the weather to enjoy it...that killed me when I lived in Texas, I missed the ocean SO much...

I know living in Florida is not for everyone, some people do truly miss the changing of the seasons...

Old 05-08-2007, 08:01 PM

Location: Lots of sun and palm trees with occasional hurricane :)
8,293 posts, read 16,158,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbravo View Post
But, I moved to Fl for the friendly people, quaint atmosphere and mild spring like summers.
hahahahahahaha. Yep! Those are GREAT reasons.

Old 05-08-2007, 08:04 PM

3,842 posts, read 10,510,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hiknapster View Post

Florida is real life folks. You have to deal with crime and high costs and all that comes with it. It is not Disney World.

Has there been a poster saying they are moving to Florida b/c they think it is Disney World or that they heard it was crime-free?

Old 05-08-2007, 08:05 PM

I lived in NYC for 36 years and I liked it but the older I got, the more I disliked it. When you're raising a child and working full time and commuting, there's really not much time to actually enjoy all that NYC has to offer plus, it's extremely expensive. So I did all I was "supposed" to do to get to know and love that NYC life, culture, rush, potholes, etc. and I got tired, really tired.

I moved to Miami (I don't have a language issue nor small kids anymore). EVERYBODY, but EVERYBODY kept telling me I'd be back in NY in less than 3 months. Even my boss in NY "come back whenever you're ready".

It's been almost 11 years. I never missed it for one nanosecond and have never even been back to visit.

I would like to live in the US Virgin Islands if I can ever do that. I think St. Maarten moreso than St. Thomas.

Old 05-08-2007, 08:07 PM

8 posts, read 38,488 times
I have spent over 40 years with midwestern winters. My spouse and I both have health problems that make staying here an unworkable option. If it were up to me, I would liquidate assets and move to Mexico or Costa Rica, but legally, we can't work in those locations. The logical option is florida, the closer to the equator the better. Fortunately, he is an auto mechanic and I work in senior services. So I hope jobs in Florida are a possibility. Some of you may believe that the weather issue is minisqule but I can tell you it is not. I hope that Florida does not turn into the cespool that some of you think it is/will. Some of us want to live there.

Old 05-08-2007, 08:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris22 View Post
we are moving to Florida basically because of the weather in Maine.

Wife really cant drive i nthe snow and gets Panic attacks, we honeymooned in Florida and have talked about moving ever since.

Now we are up and doing it, its hard leaving al lthe family behind. We are goig nt orent for a year and decide what we wil ldo after that, if we arent likeing it as much as we figured or miss home too much we will go back.

But you dont know how somethign is till you try it right

Chris. Come on down!

BTW. Does your keyboard have a stuttering problem?

Old 05-08-2007, 08:08 PM

5,297 posts, read 6,291,013 times
The way I look at it life has it's struggles so why not struggle in Florida instead .

Old 05-08-2007, 08:10 PM

22,584 posts, read 54,276,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 121804 View Post
Has there been a poster saying they are moving to Florida b/c they think it is Disney World or that they heard it was crime-free?
No. But they say that they want to move to Florida due to the weather, ad nauseum.

If you are moving because of weather issues, you should move to Utah. Period. Otherwise, you really are living in wonderland in your mind.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida