Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-08-2007, 10:35 PM

14,492 posts, read 26,621,844 times

Advertisements

or next december. We had 4 hurricanes the year we left. they year before that, 3. we were lucky and they skipped Boca- but it was a pure fluke. Just like Florida- surviving is sometimes by default. JMO.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2007, 10:40 PM

572 posts, read 2,090,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunnyhelena View Post
right, so they liked what they saw on vacation...

I loved Oahu but it is prohibitively expensive to live on Hawaii. Is that their main reason for moving there?
They loved Florida and it's not prohibitively expensive to live there. That's why.

Old 05-08-2007, 10:49 PM

14,492 posts, read 26,621,844 times
Well many would disagree. move there and see for yourself. I did live there and paid over 12k a year in taxes and interest- I paid my dues already. For the newer uninitiated- good bye and good luck.

sunny

Old 05-08-2007, 10:54 PM

2,267 posts, read 3,304,727 times
I don't think I could move someplace I had never visited...I feel lucky that my taxes are not that high, with my homestead exemption I pay around $4000 but I live up near Orlando, not down in South Florida.

They are working on some kind of bill in state government that would bring down the price of taxes...AND homeowners insurance as well.

$12,000 is alot but not near what they pay in Hawaii...Even Little Debbies are more expensive there, now thats a crime...

Old 05-08-2007, 11:28 PM

22,584 posts, read 54,356,662 times
That's not the point. If you are moving to Florida because of the weather, you better think again.

And you best have a lot of money.

And tolerance for crime, if you are not use to it.

Fine. If you are from Detroit, many parts of Florida will pale in comparison,

Still. Do you have the money?

Okay. You have the money and are use to to huge crime.

Do you want to raise your children there?

I'd rather die than raise my child there.

If you want to be that self-centered, then move.

Look, do you know how many posts I have seen on here talking about how they can't stand the snow anymore, but they are cashiers? Or they have trades?

Fine. You can cash out of Long Island, Boston or Chicago.

I hope you are retiring, because you will not ever make that kind of money in Florida.

Weather?

I lived in horrible blizzard conditions for 34 years. Live through a hurricane or tornado, then get back to me, if you can.

And I am done warning people.

I am done.

Old 05-08-2007, 11:46 PM

13,495 posts, read 37,477,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunnyhelena View Post
I am curious about this. In the US 98% of wealth and property is inherited or handed down.

If you do not have a career/ or are transferring with your profession, WHY are you choosing Florida? I am curious as to why Florida still appears to be the "mecca" that California was in the 1970's.....

sunny
Sunny, I've been thinking about this since I first read it. I've even popped in from time to time to read what others had posted. IF I move to Fla., the main reason will be to live closer to family, but I also have other thoughts on it.

First of all, I want a warmer climate and of course, Florida doesn't have exclusvie rights to warm climates. I believe it's exactly what you touched on when you mentioned the draw that Cali. once had. Back in the 60s I can't remember ANYONE who wasn't going to move to Southern California when they left home. It was a dream for many of us. We'd see the beach movies and listen to the Beach Boys and it was the fad at that time. Of course, many people did and it became overcrowded and expensive. Arizona also had it's time in the limelight.

Now many people have lived in Florida and left and relocated into the Carolinas and Tenn. I've been to the Carolinas and they are very nice. I've also seen the pics of Tenn. and it must be beautiful there. But eventually there'll be a new "Hot Spot". Possibly Texas? After crowds move there, it will also be overcrowded and expensive and people will again head just a bit north. I'll even venture the guess that some may end up in Oklahoma. (Which is a personal favorite of mine.) It just seems that we play "Follow the leader" and I don't think that will change.

Old 05-08-2007, 11:49 PM

2,267 posts, read 3,304,727 times
Interesting...I bought my house in 2001 for $158,000

Its now worth twice that...

Your prejudice...how can you really say its more expensive to live in Florida, you mean then anywhere else???

Am I really going to have to dig out the stats to make you see the one sidedness of your comments?? You have heard of California right?? For $300,000 you would be lucky to get the garage I have on my home in California...

http://money.cnn.com/magazines/money...states/AL.html
Check out this link...I don't see South Dakota on the list...

Crime, of course there is crime but are you honestly saying more then Dallas, more then New York, more then Pheonix, more then Seattle??

I am raising my daughter really nicely here thank you...this summer she will be attending snorkeling camp and tennis camp...On our free days we will be spending time at the water parks in Orlando or the beach...

Its right for us...AND its right for some other people as well, just because it wasn't right for you, you make the assumption you know whats best for EVERYONE??

Get some perspective people...

Last edited by Lisa_from_Debary; 05-08-2007 at 11:54 PM.. Reason: added link to website

Old 05-09-2007, 12:00 AM

13,495 posts, read 37,477,343 times
Check out this link...I don't see South Dakota on the list...//Unquote

Whoa!! What was that all about?

Old 05-09-2007, 03:43 AM

114 posts, read 751,506 times
Default Florida is a beautiful state

Florida is such a pretty state that is why northerners spend practically their whole income tax returns vacationing there. I have lived in both north and 10 years in Florida and guess what, I can't wait to move back to Fl. The winters are so depressing, kids can't even go outside, so sad. Sports programs don't last as long that is why all the athlete's come from the south. As far as the summer time in New England it is absolutely beautiful. I only wish it could last longer than two months.

And the person is right October -May. Do the math..... People who live down south end up living longer too. So the residents that are bashing Florida try moving up north and living every day in the cold. Best reason....
No state income tax!!!!

Old 05-09-2007, 04:17 AM

13,395 posts, read 45,060,998 times
I've been to the Carolinas, which is the only other place I'd consider because for me a big part of Florida is the beach. They were nice, if a bit muddy.

Crime is always a consideration but we had already been dealing with plenty of that in Denver. Crime is not a big deal here or where we are moving, but it certainly always exists in Florida (and, I might add, most everywhere else.)

Our little north Florida town is a fine place to raise children, if *very* right-wing.
We already had one kid out of the house and our younger son has done very well at the high school, which offered challenging (and small) classes.

I certainly agree that wages are lower here and insurance is costly; basically money is a huge consideration in every possible way.

But I gotta tell ya, I'd go back to Colorado before I'd move to Oklahoma or the Dakotas.
I will consider giving up a location because of cost of living, but will not go someplace else for the sole reason that it is cheaper.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida