Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-09-2007, 12:23 PM

3,842 posts, read 10,534,757 times

Advertisements

Dang, you figured me out atleast. That's why we moved here. The spanish tile.

Along with the TV show Hogan's Know Best.

Cat's outta the bag. It was the spanish tile & Hulk Hogan for us We had nothing else to base the move on.

The pics are sorta nice IMHO.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2007, 12:26 PM

6,565 posts, read 14,326,799 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 121804 View Post
Dang, you figured me out atleast. That's why we moved here. The spanish tile.

Along with the TV show Hogan's Know Best b/c it is filmed in Miami.

Cat's outta the bag. It was the spanish tile & Hulk Hogan for us

[cmon, the pics are nice...in about Jan in Ohio I craved for trees! ]
I said they are nice, but I mean geez.... You'd think we'd be getting pictures of Biscayne Bay or somethin' here if you're trying to make people jealous....

I'd never think of Hulk Hogan and Spanish tile in the same sentence incidentally. You may be the first to have EVER included those two in one thought.... Congrats!!!

Old 05-09-2007, 12:39 PM

13,392 posts, read 45,115,898 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jammie View Post
Hi Cil, actually, I live in the Dakotas cause I was born here and for various reasons have just never left. I know it gets terribly cold up here some winters and I've said that. I love the Fla. weather. But I am guessing that you've never vacationed here. Since you like Colorado, you'd love the Black Hills and Badlands area. As far as Oklahoma~if you ever get the chance, drive all the way up the Eastern border of it. You may be surprised as to how beautiful it is.

Of course Florida is beautiful with their beaches and palm trees and I don't think that anyone is disputing that. Just not sure how this thread is ending up with all the hostility. (Not meant for you, Cil)
Jammie, what I am getting at is that I already left everything I knew once.
If for some reason I had to be landlocked again, I'd go back to what I knew.
Have seen the Badlands (beautiful!) but not Oklahoma.
I don't think there are any United States without beauty.
But as everyone seems to agree, it takes more than scenery for someone to make a go of it in a new place.

Old 05-09-2007, 01:25 PM

1,080 posts, read 4,596,691 times
Default You crack me up

Everyone's circumstances are different, there is good and bad in every state lived in several, unfortunately, Florida is the worst of all that I've been in
I don't like it, can't convince me to like it............if you love this place, I'm glad that you do, hurray for you......but I meet more miserable people here
they come down with xxxdollars, spent it all on beautiful homes, than one or the other can't get a job, miss the kids back home, can't afford to golf 3 x's
a week, or whatever reason, then try to sell, can't move the house because the market is overpriced, and remember they spent all their money entertaining people from up North who visit, spent it on Disney and trips back and forth going home to see family, so now how do they leave? Some don't because they don't have the money to leave.

You may praise the fact that you live here.......great, wonderful.......your one of the minority.

Old 05-09-2007, 01:44 PM

489 posts, read 2,018,842 times
Default So True

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiknapster View Post
Funny JBravo. The majority of people couldn't afford to spit on those doors.
My sentiments exactly. Choose your city carefully, folks.

Old 05-09-2007, 01:56 PM

489 posts, read 2,018,842 times
Default Tampa Bay is very different from S and SW FL

[quote=FreezinIL;690101]I like being around people and close to beaches which is why I have chosen to live in Largo (not key largo) when we move next spring. And a pool is something we will definatley have when we move.

FreezinIL - You have chosen so very well! What a BEAUTIFUL area, and yes, where you have chosen, you will have GREAT access to several beaches, sane/friendly people, and an affordable pool home is very possible. Wages are also better there as well. We lived in St. Pete and loved all nearby cities for just too long to continue to endure the insanity with the overpriced real estate down here to endure it much longer. It is a very different situation down here. I wish you the very best where you are headed. Enjoy (and don't ever think that the rest of FL is just like there because it isn't). We made that mistake and won't do that ever again!

Old 05-09-2007, 01:57 PM

670 posts, read 1,748,305 times
Talking Come on, I gave the pics my best shot (on a little digital from 2001)

Quote:
Originally Posted by VAFury View Post
Am I the only one that wonders why I'm supposed to be Ooooing and Ahhhhing over these pictures???

Nice, but most people could take similar pretty shots somewhere near where they live..... Or are people supposed to be moving to Florida for spanish tile now??

I have great pics of FTAA (Free Trade Association of the Americas) police in riot gear in downtown Miami. I also have a great picture of a large sailing boat going uphill into the loby area of the Doubletree Coconut Grove (formerly Coconut Grove Hotel.)

But jeez, I'm not even an amateur, I just take pictures. I was rather proud of the rainy afternoon picture though.
I promise to take classes in the future.

Old 05-09-2007, 02:07 PM

670 posts, read 1,748,305 times
Default Back on topic...

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunnyhelena View Post
I am curious about this. In the US 98% of wealth and property is inherited or handed down.

If you do not have a career/ or are transferring with your profession, WHY are you choosing Florida? I am curious as to why Florida still appears to be the "mecca" that California was in the 1970's.....

sunny
The topic of this thread was brought up by a moderator (who, of all people, IMHO has to have known that this was playing with fireworks.) Anyways, having brought it out into the open, the question stands.

If you arent retiring and have no (or little capital) why move to Florida?

SunnyHelena,

1st. Florida was a cheap place to live in until recently.
Even as recent as in 1999 a friend bought a 2 story in a very decent area in the Brickel area (not near 8th St.) for 170K (put 50K into it) He looked at a double lot in the shanandoa area for under 100K. I passed on a 1/1 in Coral Gables for 58K in 2000. Houses could be had under 300k in West Miami and the Gables (of course not the 1930/1940s fantasy homes; rather, the 1940s/1950s GI cracker style homes which abound. Same goes for Naples (1800sq condo under 180K in 2000) Orlando or anywheres in Fl.
Of course, taxes, insurance and rentals reflected that reality.
There are some in this forum who think that that is the direction that prices are moving.
2nd It depends on the individual. I know a sheet metal worker from NY who moved here and failed miserably (couldn't adapt coming from a union state) and another one who made good. Same trade, same city, around same time period. I didn't make good in South Florida, a couple of friends made millions (and kept the money.) That I did not have what it took to make it, doesn't mean I begrudge others that did.

3rd Florida is not the most expensive state to live in. If oil goes to $100 a barrel and a strong winter comes along, Florida will seem rather cheap.

On track again, JBravo

Old 05-09-2007, 02:20 PM

2,141 posts, read 6,919,754 times
This Reminds me of the story of the three bears. This porridge is too hot, this porridge is too cold. Why in the world would people move from the extreme cold to the extreme hot? It amazes me. When I see people that complain about the long cold winters, and then move to the extreme south and complain about the long hot summers I just find it funny. What did you expect? Did it ever dawn on anybody to try the halfway point? They have beaches, go west and they have skiing. Just something I wanted to throw out there.

Old 05-09-2007, 02:47 PM

97 posts, read 372,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunnyhelena View Post
I am curious about this. In the US 98% of wealth and property is inherited or handed down.

If you do not have a career/ or are transferring with your profession, WHY are you choosing Florida? I am curious as to why Florida still appears to be the "mecca" that California was in the 1970's.....

sunny
I think people do not realize that fla is not what it is cracked up to be. people move here to have their dreams shattered by ridiculously high housing costs and insurance problems, not to mention crime and lack of decent wages. not to mention hurricanes and tornados all the bloody time.

no one so many people leave the state. when we moved out a couple years ago, every moving company told me that because so many people leave FL so fast, the moving rates are high to leave the state.

I guess the message is: move to fl; once in you are stuck!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida