Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-09-2007, 05:28 AM

158 posts, read 869,313 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiknapster View Post
It's We were priced out. If you've got the bucks, move to Florida. I love Florida. I just can't afford to live there.
You and Sunnyhelena might have different ideas than the others as to what a lot of $$ is. Just because you did not have enough to live up to your own personal living standards does not mean other people do not.

Yours might be higher or lower who knows???

Sunnyhelena you think people will be dissapointed when they move there because of the weather. Some people actually like the weather.

I'll give you it does sometimes get unbarably hot but here in IL for me it gets unbarably cold and I would much rather sweat than freeze.

I am not looking to get rich or be rich down there just enjoy life. We like to bike ride go sea shell hunting and exploring. We also love fishing (in Fl) and walking and I also have a Doggie Day Care that I do which I feel will do quite well down there. We are not depending on that though. My husband is the main bread winner.

I like being around people and close to beaches which is why I have chosen to live in Largo (not key largo) when we move next spring. And a pool is something we will definatley have when we move.

so you are trying to warn everyone about Fl. Sunnyhelena? You imply that we all have brains in our hmmm...butts. Some of us have done our homework
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2007, 05:31 AM

60 posts, read 107,623 times
It isn't just about the weather... "Gee, I don't have to wear gloves anymore!" It's about what the weather allows. We can play golf year round, we can boat year round, we can dine outdoors year round, and everyone seems happier down here.

Old 05-09-2007, 06:20 AM

6,565 posts, read 14,309,633 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valnf View Post
Florida is such a pretty state that is why northerners spend practically their whole income tax returns vacationing there. I have lived in both north and 10 years in Florida and guess what, I can't wait to move back to Fl. The winters are so depressing, kids can't even go outside, so sad. Sports programs don't last as long that is why all the athlete's come from the south. As far as the summer time in New England it is absolutely beautiful. I only wish it could last longer than two months.

And the person is right October -May. Do the math..... People who live down south end up living longer too. So the residents that are bashing Florida try moving up north and living every day in the cold. Best reason....
No state income tax!!!!
I'd like to see the specifics on that study.... Really I would....

A) "Down South"??? What does that mean??? Florida specifically??? The entire point from the get go has been, "if you want warmer weather there are other options..." (Georgia, South Carolina, Alabama, etc....).

B) I wonder when you have an entire state that has been geared towards older retired people for half a century if maybe that has something to do with people living longer (If we are, in fact, referring specifically to Florida).... Remember that a LARGE portion of these people move down to retire but have lived "Up North" for thier entire lives...... So is it fair to say they lived longer because they "Lived in the South"??? Not really....

Old 05-09-2007, 06:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreezinIL View Post
You and Sunnyhelena might have different ideas than the others as to what a lot of $$ is. Just because you did not have enough to live up to your own personal living standards does not mean other people do not.

Yours might be higher or lower who knows???
Remember, cost of living in Florida has SKYROCKETED in the last 5 years and wages have simply not kept pace.... Anyone who lived through that period is in a bit of shock. You'll find typically that those who owned a house and got to ride the real estate wave don't have a care in the world because they're sitting on a mountain of equity.

THAT is what gives many of these folks the ability to poo-poo away any talk of how expensive Florida is.

In fact, home equity is really the key here. Guarantee most people moving down from up north are ALSO dismissive of how expensive Florida has gotten in relation to wages because they'll be selling a house and raking in $200K in equity to "get started" which, incidentally, will work just fine in Florida.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreezeinIL
so you are trying to warn everyone about Fl. Sunnyhelena? You imply that we all have brains in our hmmm...butts. Some of us have done our homework
Does your homework happen to include a nice chunk of home equity??? I'm not saying it makes anyone a bad person, okay?? Just I think this is the perspective that many people miss. Some when trying to explain to outsiders moving down how expensive it is miss that this is probably the case, and those who are moving in lock stock and barrell who aren't concerned with the cost of living fail to mention this little nugget.

I guarantee this is a large portion of what we're overlooking here. The common person with marginal savings in a decent career field who does NOT currently own a home with any equity will find a tough go of it initially down int Florida. I think we're missing the target audience with this warning so there it is more specifically.....

Hope that clears some of this up...

Old 05-09-2007, 06:31 AM

60 posts, read 107,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VAFury View Post
Remember that a LARGE portion of these people move down to retire but have lived "Up North" for thier entire lives...... So is it fair to say they lived longer because they "Lived in the South"??? Not really....
Just a question here but can we assume that the typical retired northerner who moves to Florida is probably part of a couple and couples live longer than singles. Also an older person who uproots him/herself from their family and starts anew has a personality and makeup that differs from an aging person who opts to stay rooted and revolve around his grandkids living vicariously through them. In other words, is it Florida that makes one live longer or is it the personality and makeup of the adventure seeker who moves to Florida?

Old 05-09-2007, 07:12 AM

3,842 posts, read 10,522,511 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VAFury View Post

In fact, home equity is really the key here. Guarantee most people moving down from up north are ALSO dismissive of how expensive Florida has gotten in relation to wages because they'll be selling a house and raking in $200K in equity to "get started" which, incidentally, will work just fine in Florida.

I guarantee this is a large portion of what we're overlooking here. The common person with marginal savings in a decent career field who does NOT currently own a home with any equity will find a tough go of it initially down int Florida. I think we're missing the target audience with this warning so there it is more specifically.....

Hope that clears some of this up...
I think you may be a little off assuming every other place EXCEPT FL (blah blah blah) is seeing an outstanding RE market. $200 on a home? I hope you were trying to exaggerate Yes, some VERY specific areas of the US are seeing good, but most are not. Most people are stuck in their homes b/c the RE market is down the toilet in lots & lots of places.

We are that group in a decent career field making decent money who don't own a home right now...how is that hard? If we buy, we buy. If we don't, we don't. Not losing sleep over it. We can get a 1800sq, 3/2/2, on an 80 x 120 lot w/ impact glass & hardi plank for $189k. The trees on the lot will also stay. City water & city sewer. Is it in the ghetto, no. Is it in a metropolitan area, no & if it was, I wouldn't be complaining about the cost of the home b/c of its expense. Why are we waiting? For the obvious...gotta see how husband's job goes over a few fiscal periods & just our overall feel. We'd do this anywhere. Maybe this home is expensive for Florida or South Dakota or Vermont. I don't care. I don't have control over that. Do we worry it will lose value? Nope. Again, if it does, it does. Maybe in 10 years it will see equity. It's just four walls & a roof, not a human being or a family member. But we are just waiting & not rushing into a mortgage for no reason.

This "follow the leader" mentality of like 4 posters on here is sad, sad, sad. "Oh, if you move to Florida you are going to be broke if you don't make $400k & you'll see armed thugs walking down the street & a hurrican is going to come & get you! We have ABSOLUTELY NOTHING more VALID than that...but oh, TAKE OUR WORD." Ridiculous. "Oh, And DON"T FORGET...We only have TWO MONTHS OF WINTER in northern states. For YEARS we haven't had to use ac or a snow shovel. That is why EVERYONE is staying in the northern states...We make SO much money" People ARE NOT as stupid as some posters think. At least I have the respect to think about that.

Let people hope & see for themselves. We are here BECASUE OF A GOOD PAYING JOB THAT IS NOT IN THE CONSTRUCTION BUSINESS...YES, it can happen!!! If my husband & I fall flat on our faces, we aren't coming on an internet board hoping for someone to help us. We will fix things ourselves. Or, things might just go fine. We don't now.

Sorry for those who can't make things work for them & have to try to sway others to feel the same way. Most don't even live here anymore. Why do they even care? If were they live is just so DARN GREAT why aren't they on their state board writing post about the paradise of New York or Tennessee they live in?

People have rights to say good or bad but to be nasty about it either way is very immature & pathetic.

Let it go. People are going to move to Florida, hate it, love it, make money, lose money, smile, cry, die or live. Just let it go.

Old 05-09-2007, 07:36 AM

3,842 posts, read 10,522,511 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jammie View Post

Now many people have lived in Florida and left and relocated into the Carolinas and Tenn. I've been to the Carolinas and they are very nice. I've also seen the pics of Tenn. and it must be beautiful there. But eventually there'll be a new "Hot Spot". Possibly Texas? After crowds move there, it will also be overcrowded and expensive and people will again head just a bit north. I'll even venture the guess that some may end up in Oklahoma. (Which is a personal favorite of mine.) It just seems that we play "Follow the leader" and I don't think that will change.
I just came from 5 yrs in an area about 40 miles north of Austin. If one wants to see traffic jams, accidents & immigrants...that is the place to go. It is nice there, though. There is a cool, laid-back vibe to Austin...if ya got the cash to live in the right area & are not stuck on I-35 for 3-4hrs. But it is Texas & one either likes it or not.

Everyone talks about Austin & San Antonio as if it were the new coming of the savior. It is also 2 hours & 1 hour from the border of MEXICO. Everything is in Spanish. So, it is NOT JUST FLORIDA. Very common to see a truck load of Mexicans pick up loads of basics from WalMart to drive it back over the border. Many a time we went to a store or restuarnat & had trouble communicating due to language barrier.

Texas & Oklahoma are HUGE right now [in terms of people moving there]. But it will see its day b/c there comes a point of satuaration.

While cost of homes in Austin are reasonable, I'd never want to endure the heat of central TX nor the massive crowds everywhere. I can no longer endure days & days of over 100 degree temps & sheer sunlight b/c there are no treees or foliage in central TX. It's barren & when there is a breeze, it's a warm breeze. It is always crowded b/c so many ARE moving there.

"Follow the Leader" is a good analogy.

Old 05-09-2007, 07:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 121804 View Post
I think you may be a little off assuming every other place EXCEPT FL (blah blah blah) is seeing an outstanding RE market. $200 on a home? I hope you were trying to exaggerate Yes, some VERY specific areas of the US are seeing good, but most are not. Most people are stuck in their homes b/c the RE market is down the toilet in lots & lots of places.
Well there are specific instances like Michigan that I know have seen a pretty heavy downturn, but the majority of people in the United States who owned a home 5 years ago have seen a nice increase in equity. That's a fact in most markets. Simply saying one can overlook some price concerns when you have a $50K-$200K cushion to pad the blow..... (No exaggeration, the Northeast had a realestate boom as well...... In fact Boston was sizzling hot in real estate beyond Florida during the peak of it...).

Quote:
Originally Posted by lotsofnumbersforausername ;)
We are that group in a decent career field making decent money who don't own a home right now...how is that hard? If we buy, we buy. If we don't, we don't. Not losing sleep over it. We can get a 1800sq, 3/2/2, on an 80 x 120 lot w/ impact glass & hardi plank for $189k. The trees on the lot will also stay. City water & city sewer. Is it in the ghetto, no. Is it in a metropolitan area, no & if it was, I wouldn't be complaining about the cost of the home b/c of its expense. Why are we waiting? For the obvious...gotta see how husband's job goes over a few fiscal periods & just our overall feel. We'd do this anywhere. Maybe this home is expensive for Florida or South Dakota or Vermont. I don't care. I don't have control over that. Do we worry it will lose value? Nope. Again, if it does, it does. Maybe in 10 years it will see equity. It's just four walls & a roof, not a human being or a family member. But we are just waiting & not rushing into a mortgage for no reason.
Nice price.... Where??? Good for you and I'm not saying it isn't possible to do this. Just not easy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1234567890
This "follow the leader" mentality of like 4 posters on here is sad, sad, sad. "Oh, if you move to Florida you are going to be broke if you don't make $400k & you'll see armed thugs walking down the street & a hurrican is going to come & get you! We have ABSOLUTELY NOTHING more VALID than that...but oh, TAKE OUR WORD." Ridiculous. "Oh, And DON"T FORGET...We only have TWO MONTHS OF WINTER in northern states. For YEARS we haven't had to use ac or a snow shovel. That is why EVERYONE is staying in the northern states...We make SO much money" People ARE NOT as stupid as some posters think. At least I have the respect to think about that.
I don't think you're referring to me here, so I won't take offense... I'm not a banger of the crime drum or the "have to be independently wealthy" bongo either....

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2123345335
Let people hope & see for themselves. We are here BECASUE OF A GOOD PAYING JOB THAT IS NOT IN THE CONSTRUCTION BUSINESS...YES, it can happen!!! If my husband & I fall flat on our faces, we aren't coming on an internet board hoping for someone to help us. We will fix things ourselves. Or, things might just go fine. We don't now.
Part of the point here is to hear stories from some that have already MADE the mistake so others don't repeat it..... Yeah there are some that are over-alarmist in thier warnings, but...... FWIW I started getting pegged with negatives about the area of Virginia I ultimately moved to so first-hand I understand how that kind of affects the psyche for most of us who have (let's be honest) already committed to the move... It's certainly not fun to hear how where you are about to move sucks, but I think a quick reminder to one's self of the pre-citydata reasons you are making the move should MORE than make up for it...... If not then you didn't research it too well from the get go....

Quote:
Originally Posted by 12321244353
Sorry for those who can't make things work for them & have to try to sway others to feel the same way. Most don't even live here anymore. Why do they even care? If were they live is just so DARN GREAT why aren't they on their state board writing post about the paradise of New York or Tennessee they live in?

People have rights to say good or bad but to be nasty about it either way is very immature & pathetic.

Let it go. People are going to move to Florida, hate it, love it, make money, lose money, smile, cry, die or live. Just let it go.
Well again, I don't think you're referring to me, but if you are I certainly haven't intended to get ugly about my feelings and opinions and if I have I apologize.

Old 05-09-2007, 07:43 AM

460 posts, read 2,346,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by riveree View Post
I love that!

We do hear a lot about the snow on the forum, but having lived in both NY and FL, I can say that even when the FL weather is not good, it beats NY.

When it is winter in NY, you have snow all the time for months...it doesn't go away. It makes it difficult to get around every day. It dries out and chaps your skin, your lips, your eyes, it hurts your nasal passages, your extremities get so cold you think your toes and fingers will fall off, if you have arthritis it can be painful all winter season long...the winters up north can really make you tired!

In FL, the bad weather breezes in and back out again.

Florida has bright blue skies, lush flora and fauna, beautiful beaches, you can get by in a t-shirt, shorts and flip-flops much of the year, there are jobs to be had and homes to be bought...it's not perfect, but it's closer to perfect that a lot of other states in the union!
I agree with mystree66 and riveree....

We are moving to Florida as well, but NOT without our eyes wide open! (Thanks to this forum) We realize its not a fairy land. However, we LOVE the state of Florida, for many reasons, not just for the weather.
We are going to rent for a year, and see how we feel. We are keeping an open mind about it and if we find that we actually miss Illinois, then we will just move back.

Old 05-09-2007, 07:46 AM

460 posts, read 2,346,466 times
Thumbs up GReat Post!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 121804 View Post
If someone wants to move to Florida b /c of the weather....how does this personally effect you [you is plural here] ? Why do you EVEN CARE?

Just let people live, make their mistakes, & move on.

And I've never heard anyone say they are going to move to a particular state b/c of a brochure. No need to insult people's wishes & dreams. If they fall flat on their face, what has this done to you? What if they succeed? What if they are happy?

Enough already of trying to bash people moving to or from Florida. Grow up, people. If this is the extent of what you need to do to entertain yourself, find help.

So Buffalo hasn't seen snow in 10yrs. That's straight bs. Enough said. So, besides this past winter, Buffalo hasn't seen snow in 9 yrs. Hmmm. Interesting. Medication may help.

Yes thats what I want to know!! Why does it matter to some of you if people do move because of the weather???? Maybe someone should start ANOTHER thread asking YOU this??
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida