Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-09-2007, 07:55 AM

460 posts, read 2,346,662 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreezinIL View Post
You and Sunnyhelena might have different ideas than the others as to what a lot of $$ is. Just because you did not have enough to live up to your own personal living standards does not mean other people do not.

Yours might be higher or lower who knows???

Sunnyhelena you think people will be dissapointed when they move there because of the weather. Some people actually like the weather.

I'll give you it does sometimes get unbarably hot but here in IL for me it gets unbarably cold and I would much rather sweat than freeze.

I am not looking to get rich or be rich down there just enjoy life. We like to bike ride go sea shell hunting and exploring. We also love fishing (in Fl) and walking and I also have a Doggie Day Care that I do which I feel will do quite well down there. We are not depending on that though. My husband is the main bread winner.

I like being around people and close to beaches which is why I have chosen to live in Largo (not key largo) when we move next spring. And a pool is something we will definatley have when we move.

so you are trying to warn everyone about Fl. Sunnyhelena? You imply that we all have brains in our hmmm...butts. Some of us have done our homework
My thoughts exactly! Some of these people are soo bitter. I do understand that they have their reasons too, Florida certainly isnt perfect. But....we are not all idiots.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2007, 08:11 AM

3,842 posts, read 10,523,565 times
[quote=VAFury;690525]Well there are specific instances like Michigan that I know have seen a pretty heavy downturn, but the majority of people in the United States who owned a home 5 years ago have seen a nice increase in equity. That's a fact in most markets. Simply saying one can overlook some price concerns when you have a $50K-$200K cushion to pad the blow..... (No exaggeration, the Northeast had a realestate boom as well...... In fact Boston was sizzling hot in real estate beyond Florida during the peak of it...).

But who is making a $200k profit off a sale of a home right now? Not the majority.

Nice price.... Where??? Good for you and I'm not saying it isn't possible to do this. Just not easy.

Port Charlotte in Charlotte County. It has some very nice areas. Trees, parks & families. It also has some areas that has seen its time. Also, the Deep Creek area of Punta Gorda is very affordable & actually sorta nice. We just don't want deed restrictions due to resale. Not overly concerned about public schools b/c we are huge private school advocates. There is a good private school in Punta Gorda that my son will attend [if we are still here My heart is hoping we are back up north ]

I don't think you're referring to me here, so I won't take offense... I'm not a banger of the crime drum or the "have to be independently wealthy" bongo either....

I'm not. While I don't necessarily "agree" with what you may say, you do have a general tendency to back up your statements with non-biased or rude explanations. Big difference when someone is trying to get information.

Also, funny comment about my screenname. Glad to know you have a sense of humor. Sorry about how messy this looks but I gotta an 18 month old who deserves some mommy time of playing

Old 05-09-2007, 08:17 AM

13,495 posts, read 37,481,388 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cil View Post
I've been to the Carolinas, which is the only other place I'd consider because for me a big part of Florida is the beach. They were nice, if a bit muddy.

Crime is always a consideration but we had already been dealing with plenty of that in Denver. Crime is not a big deal here or where we are moving, but it certainly always exists in Florida (and, I might add, most everywhere else.)

Our little north Florida town is a fine place to raise children, if *very* right-wing.
We already had one kid out of the house and our younger son has done very well at the high school, which offered challenging (and small) classes.

I certainly agree that wages are lower here and insurance is costly; basically money is a huge consideration in every possible way.

But I gotta tell ya, I'd go back to Colorado before I'd move to Oklahoma or the Dakotas.
I will consider giving up a location because of cost of living, but will not go someplace else for the sole reason that it is cheaper.

Hi Cil, actually, I live in the Dakotas cause I was born here and for various reasons have just never left. I know it gets terribly cold up here some winters and I've said that. I love the Fla. weather. But I am guessing that you've never vacationed here. Since you like Colorado, you'd love the Black Hills and Badlands area. As far as Oklahoma~if you ever get the chance, drive all the way up the Eastern border of it. You may be surprised as to how beautiful it is.

Of course Florida is beautiful with their beaches and palm trees and I don't think that anyone is disputing that. Just not sure how this thread is ending up with all the hostility. (Not meant for you, Cil)

Old 05-09-2007, 08:59 AM

1,599 posts, read 2,951,892 times
I live in St. Augustine and for the most part, I think my family and I have a better quality of life than we would in most states. We don't make a ton of money, but my husband has a decent job in IT. I am a stay at home mom with a happy 4 yr. old.

Why are we happy? Because we have fun here. On the weekends, we go to the Alligator Farm, walk around the grounds of the Fountain Of Youth. We rent a boat and travel down the intracoastal or we go to Vilano Beach and watch the dolphin jump, or we go to the various Folk Festivals or Seafood Festivals that happen throughout the spring and summer. Occasionally we drive 2 hrs. to Disney or Universal Studios.

I've lived in 5 other states and while they had their good points, I was always bored! Let's face it, Florida is more fun!

The employment opportunities here are very limited. I know how lucky we are to find our current niche here and I keep my fingers crossed that my husband keeps his job because finding another would be tricky. But people can be happy in Florida and raise a healthy family too!

Old 05-09-2007, 09:49 AM

670 posts, read 1,745,921 times
Talking Hiknapster gets it wrong! Again. About multiple things.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiknapster View Post
Well, you keep selling your state, bubba. Americans want to move to a third-world state.

Further, JBravo doesn't actually live in Coral Gables. Not even close.

As far as weather goes, I'll see y'all in August in September.

Y'all screwed.
Lived in Coral Gables 27 years. Moved to Mt. Dora when I could'nt stand it a minute longer and thought I was at the the top of the market. (Sold in 2004, guess I missed the very top, but can't complaint)

His racism and ignorance shows through in his posts.
Guess he'll say that the pictures I post of the house I'm building in Mt. Dora are really not my own house either.

There are many beutiful and enjoyable things in South Florida. I was spoiled growing up there in the 70s and 80s: Matheson Hamock in the afternoon with just a couple of people, buying huge mangoes on Old Cutler by the side of the road, even the library was special.

The thread on "Miami what was" touches me. What newcomers to South Florida don't get when someone who lived there years ago talk about what was lost is this: the natural beuty is the same; the overcrowding is just not tolerable.

Last edited by Jammie; 05-09-2007 at 10:08 AM.. Reason: deleted sentence

Old 05-09-2007, 10:07 AM

1,080 posts, read 4,591,324 times
Default Oh Please................

I really don't care, who moves to Fl. people on this forum try to tell it like it is
good, bad or otherwise........hell come on down, but when another hurricane wipes out YOUR house, or some scam home contractor or roofing company scams you out of your money, or you can't get insurance or you can't find a decent job, don't say you weren't warned. Ya all, have a good day now ya hear!

Old 05-09-2007, 10:19 AM

Talking I'll do better than tell you how it is; I'll show you how it is!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Songbird42 View Post
I really don't care, who moves to Fl. people on this forum try to tell it like it is
good, bad or otherwise........hell come on down, but when another hurricane wipes out YOUR house, or some scam home contractor or roofing company scams you out of your money, or you can't get insurance or you can't find a decent job, don't say you weren't warned. Ya all, have a good day now ya hear!

As far as the rest, the contractors/hurricanes, what's the deal? Blizards, tornadoes, earthquakes, unethical people and major problems with the economy, like what? Like these don't exist in the rest of the country? Give ME a break?

Old 05-09-2007, 10:33 AM

Talking congrats!

Quote:
Originally Posted by songgirl View Post
I live in St. Augustine and for the most part, I think my family and I have a better quality of life than we would in most states. We don't make a ton of money, but my husband has a decent job in IT. I am a stay at home mom with a happy 4 yr. old.

Why are we happy? Because we have fun here. On the weekends, we go to the Alligator Farm, walk around the grounds of the Fountain Of Youth. We rent a boat and travel down the intracoastal or we go to Vilano Beach and watch the dolphin jump, or we go to the various Folk Festivals or Seafood Festivals that happen throughout the spring and summer. Occasionally we drive 2 hrs. to Disney or Universal Studios.

I've lived in 5 other states and while they had their good points, I was always bored! Let's face it, Florida is more fun!

The employment opportunities here are very limited. I know how lucky we are to find our current niche here and I keep my fingers crossed that my husband keeps his job because finding another would be tricky. But people can be happy in Florida and raise a healthy family too!
Nice screen name too

Old 05-09-2007, 10:39 AM

3,842 posts, read 10,523,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbravo View Post

As far as the rest, the contractors/hurricanes, what's the deal? Blizards, tornadoes, earthquakes, unethical people and major problems with the economy, like what? Like these don't exist in the rest of the country? Give ME a break?

No, just Florida. Didn't YOU know? Appears this is the only state with a problem. EVERY other place is better I've never heard of a slow real estate market or problems in the economy anywhere else...

Funny...we moved here b/c this was the best paying job w/ the best cost of living compared to the other places. We know we are lucky. But still, silly us... huh?

I wonder if people shouldn't move to Kansas b/c of tornadoes or Missouri b/c of flooding or Detroit b/c your home is of less value than a new car. Maybe should go to that forum & start a thread like that....But I have to keep pounding over & over again that it is only Florida...wish my parents never gave me an education so I could be so darn ignorant.

Old 05-09-2007, 12:18 PM

6,565 posts, read 14,311,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbravo View Post

Am I the only one that wonders why I'm supposed to be Ooooing and Ahhhhing over these pictures???

Nice, but most people could take similar pretty shots somewhere near where they live..... Or are people supposed to be moving to Florida for spanish tile now??
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida