Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-25-2009, 08:29 PM

97 posts, read 274,930 times

Advertisements

If you are a working stiff like me...Florida will not be anyones GREENER PASTURES.
Its obvious you dont know what Fl is about especially the last 1 or 2 years.

Old 12-26-2009, 10:37 AM

5,025 posts, read 7,230,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimrob1 View Post
For those that want to leave Florida. Is it the state as a whole that has turned people off, or could it be one's current location? Florida is a huge state and changes rapidly from one area to another. There are many states that people say are so wonderful that one should leave Florida and move there. Let me tell you there is alot more to a state than how pretty it is, and way to many people judge places by physical beauty only.

If I lived in Florida and the lack of winter and state income tax were high on my list of reasons to live there. If that were the case. I would certainly make sure my reasons for my dislike of Florida, didn't have something to do with the region of the state I was living in. I would definitely make sure of that, before I packed up and went thru the outrageous expense of moving elsewhere.

There are many many states with some miserable problems and some really weird politcs. Make sure if you leave Florida, your fully prepared for what may be a whole new set of problems and types of peoples. Let alone climates.
Well said and true but...
Florida is very unique in many, many ways, climate chief among these. You will experience unusual events and unusual people in numbers not seen elsewhere (maybe NYC). The big melting pot doesn't always work so well. Florida doesn't have just one or two or a dozen weird things about it-it has hundreds. There are websites (Fark for instance) that have categories just for Florida's peculiarities. While some may find these peculiarities charming and colorful, there's many of us who find the sheer number of them distasteful. Couple that with a climate (including a six month hurricane season) that doesn't suit everyone and you have some good reasons why many people want out. As far as politics-you'd have to prove to me which state has a more blatantly corrupt government. They don't even try to hide it anymore.
I HAVE lived in many parts of Florida-loved the Lake City area back in the '70s,but that too has gotten an invasion of some strange cult. See, in Florida, there just doesn't seem to be anyway to escape the "peculiarities".
That being said, I'm overjoyed that so many folks still want to call Florida home. If someone can overlook or even embrace the uniqueness, it can be great. I'm all for living where you want to be.

Old 12-26-2009, 11:45 AM

8,963 posts, read 8,926,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vaughnwilliams View Post
Florida is very unique in many, many ways, climate chief among these. You will experience unusual events and unusual people in numbers not seen elsewhere (maybe NYC). The big melting pot doesn't always work so well. Florida doesn't have just one or two or a dozen weird things about it-it has hundreds. There are websites (Fark for instance) that have categories just for Florida's peculiarities. While some may find these peculiarities charming and colorful, there's many of us who find the sheer number of them distasteful. Couple that with a climate (including a six month hurricane season) that doesn't suit everyone and you have some good reasons why many people want out. As far as politics-you'd have to prove to me which state has a more blatantly corrupt government. They don't even try to hide it anymore.
I HAVE lived in many parts of Florida-loved the Lake City area back in the '70s,but that too has gotten an invasion of some strange cult. See, in Florida, there just doesn't seem to be anyway to escape the "peculiarities".
That being said, I'm overjoyed that so many folks still want to call Florida home. If someone can overlook or even embrace the uniqueness, it can be great. I'm all for living where you want to be.

Very good post. I like that "peculiarities"... hahaha... that's a good way to put it, LOL! You touched on the weird people that relocate to FL, and I completely agree, you forgot to mention though, that unfortunately, some of the weirdos that move to FL are also running from the law or their past in their former state (and also country).

Old 12-26-2009, 12:15 PM

22,584 posts, read 54,300,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ComSense View Post
Very good post. I like that "peculiarities"... hahaha... that's a good way to put it, LOL! You touched on the weird people that relocate to FL, and I completely agree, you forgot to mention though, that unfortunately, some of the weirdos that move to FL are also running from the law or their past in their former state (and also country).
Exactly. I like weird. I'm weird. Of course, I prefer to say "eccentric."

And eccentric can be very charming. There is a lot of that in New England, NYC and of course, here, in The South. But Florida's weirdos have a different vibe to them. It's the opposite of charming.

Old 12-26-2009, 02:35 PM

3,041 posts, read 7,937,491 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vaughnwilliams View Post
We have lived in Lake City since 1988 and at that time the Endtimers were in control and as they disappeared into the wood work a small mentality took over blocking growth.We are paying the price today with only Walmart,Lowe's and Home Depot,Home Depot is probably scratching there heads as to why they opened here,along with endless strip malls.As of now the powers to be are waking up trying to bring in business.Columbia County has excellent benefits for retiree.

Old 12-26-2009, 02:36 PM

^^^ Exactly. Even Asheville NC is "weird" but it's not a bad thing. I dont mind weird people relocating here but the sickos and the criminals ....... enough of them have already made it here. Dont need anymore.

Old 12-26-2009, 02:47 PM

17,536 posts, read 39,147,881 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hiknapster View Post

And eccentric can be very charming. There is a lot of that in New England, NYC and of course, here, in The South. But Florida's weirdos have a different vibe to them. It's the opposite of charming.
I love eccentric and weird. We have a lot of the "good" kind where I am.

I think bad weirdos are EVERYWHERE, not just in Florida. I see sick stuff in the news all the time folks, and it ain't all in Florida, not by quite a long shot.

Old 12-26-2009, 04:11 PM

5,025 posts, read 7,230,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hiknapster View Post

I agree. Florida has a growing dark side and ugliness to it. I'm not talking about the scenery (though the effects of uncontrolled development are pretty ugly), it reminds me of the proverbial creepy neighbor or something dead and rotting. Maybe it's because Florida is becoming more like Disney World and less like a real place. I see more and more of these "gated communities" and to me that just breeds more isolation, almost like an escape from the problems that others face.
I'm probably over thinking it-Florida just attracts an inordinate amount of losers, thugs and con men. Probably have an easier time of it here.

Old 12-26-2009, 04:12 PM

1,313 posts, read 1,551,592 times
Tennessee or Montana

Old 12-26-2009, 05:18 PM

[quote=vaughnwilliams;12177570]I agree. Florida has a growing dark side and ugliness to it. I'm not talking about the scenery (though the effects of uncontrolled development are pretty ugly), it reminds me of the proverbial creepy neighbor or something dead and rotting. Maybe it's because Florida is becoming more like Disney World and less like a real place. I see more and more of these "gated communities" and to me that just breeds more isolation, almost like an escape from the problems that others face.
I'm probably over thinking it-Florida just attracts an inordinate amount of losers, thugs and con men. Probably have an easier time of it here.[/quote]

Exactly. Maybe it's the way FL laws are set up, and perhaps, a little easier on criminals. But you're right, it definitely attracts a lot of losers, con men, sex offenders, bums and transients like no other state I've ever seen (maybe Nevada's worse?).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida