Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-27-2009, 11:14 AM

26,585 posts, read 62,061,326 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulieM View Post
I don't think you're overthinking it at all. What you said is a good start at what should be a conversation not only in many Florida communities but all those places where the "gated community" has become such an obnoxious presence. Am I tipping my hand here? I'm not a fan
Community's in a community. You have five, six, seven of these in an incorporated city, town, or village you get what? A very fragmented city, town, village imho. Where'd this "I want to be gated" concept come from. Marketers who utilize the great motivator, fear, fear and more fear. "You'll be safe behind those gates, yep, that $9.00 an hour retired guy is gonna lay it all down for you". Those thugs and con guys don't understand it themselves, they just know it's an environment (they travel the seams of all that fragmentation) they are comfortable in hence all are less secure as a result.
There are other reasons behind gated communities. I live in one in a very safe area. It's not gated to keep criminals out, but rather to keep outsiders from using the extended recreational and social amenities that homeowners pay a lot of money for. I don't want the people from the surrounding neighborhhods using our pools, playgrounds, basketball courts, clubhouse game room, work out facilities, saunas, etc. If they were to get hurt, our community would get sued, even though they were technically trespassing.

Old 12-27-2009, 11:18 AM

8,963 posts, read 8,926,253 times
"Everything that the "Natives" want to preserve, is what "outsiders" loathe about FLorida."

But we are in FL, correct?

Old 12-27-2009, 11:20 AM

17,815 posts, read 25,645,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hiknapster View Post
Exactly. I like weird. I'm weird. Of course, I prefer to say "eccentric."

And eccentric can be very charming. There is a lot of that in New England, NYC and of course, here, in The South. But Florida's weirdos have a different vibe to them. It's the opposite of charming.
Exactly. There is a big difference between eccentric and lowlifes. FL attracts a lot of lowlifes.

Lot of Jerry Springer type people in this state.

And in a bad economy they're the most desperate.

Old 12-27-2009, 11:22 AM

17,815 posts, read 25,645,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
There are other reasons behind gated communities. I live in one in a very safe area. It's not gated to keep criminals out, but rather to keep outsiders from using the extended recreational and social amenities that homeowners pay a lot of money for. I don't want the people from the surrounding neighborhhods using our pools, playgrounds, basketball courts, clubhouse game room, work out facilities, saunas, etc. If they were to get hurt, our community would get sued, even though they were technically trespassing.
The reason gated communities are so popular in FL is it gives the residents a false sense of security and to some the feeling they are better than others.

It is actually quite amusing because if someone wants to get in they can.

Old 12-27-2009, 11:25 AM

Now it has me wondering, why so many gated communities in FL and why so very few in Asheville NC, where I used to live?

Old 12-27-2009, 11:25 AM

17,291 posts, read 29,411,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ComSense View Post
"Everything that the "Natives" want to preserve, is what "outsiders" loathe about FLorida."

But we are in FL, correct?

Of course. But at some point, being that Florida depends on "outsiders" for its well being, a happy median must be met that both sides can deal with. Change and development is the only constant in Florida history. Florida is almost a microcosm and case study for the broader United States in that respect.

How many newcomers lament Florida for not having the amenities that existed "elsewhere".... while those that live here lament that same development that makes the newcomers like it better?

Old 12-27-2009, 11:26 AM

26,585 posts, read 62,061,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seain dublin View Post
The reason gated communities are so popular in FL is it gives the residents a false sense of security and to some the feeling they are better than others.

It is actually quite amusing because if someone wants to get in they can.
Where I live we have guards and every resident is issued a photo ID. No ID, you're out. If you show back up they can and will have you arrested. (The police have trespassed several people in the past year.)

I don't think I'm better than others, I'm not living in Isleworth or some really ritzy place, but I do pay for those amenities. If someone who doesn't live here wants to use a health club, there's a Golds Gym right up the street. What makes them think they have the right to steal those services from the community I live in?

Old 12-27-2009, 12:09 PM

22,584 posts, read 54,300,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TriMT7 View Post
Maybe I'd go to Europe, where they all say, "Good god, how coudl anyone live in VIOLENT, UNEDUCATED, America?!
Yes. They do say that. Hmm...

Old 12-27-2009, 01:33 PM

1,275 posts, read 3,416,484 times
Quote:
First of all, I find it highly amusing that you choose to "resent" a statement and assertion from an old post that wasn't even directed towards you, but the others on this board who ARE demonstrably defective and racist (and, yes, losers on a certain level).

Around here, and for some people, "native" has become code word for Euro-white people with good Southern Christian values.

It does boil down to personal choice, and if you're reasons HAVEN'T been the veiled xenophobia and ethnicism/racism, then you should not have gotten offended.

I've lived here since I was 7, which is when most people can relate and be conscious of their surroundings. I consider myself just as qualified as a "native' to discuss Florida and the changes that it has gone through. Most of my intimate circle of friends are also "natives" or "very young Florida transplants." Again, YOUR sentiments are NOT universally held. Not by a long shot. The sooner you and others understand that, the better we will be able to help people who DO want to give living here a try.

Everything that the "Natives" want to preserve, is what "outsiders" loathe about FLorida. Everything the "outsiders" want, the Natives consider intrusions and awful. In that respect, Florida gets a double whammy of negativity coming AND going! Can't please everyone.

Personally, I don't know if I'll stay in Florida forever. I may want a change of scenery years from now. I actually suffer from a kind of wanderlust, but I think no matter what, I'll probably always try to keep a little condo or something in the area I am now. Maybe I'd go to Europe, where they all say, "Good god, how coudl anyone live in VIOLENT, UNEDUCATED, America?!
Excuse me, I didn't realize this "old"post was directed at someone specifically. Just as you are tired of hearing negative posts re: Fla, I am tired of hearing how it is supposed to be some kind of "paradise" above reproach. I'm also tired of being flamed for expressing any kind of dissenting opinion. You consider yourself a native, fine; I am a native and just as you are entitled to express your opinion, I am entitled to express mine. Rabid unchecked development, crime, unrelenting heat, and a wanderlust of my own are some of the factors influencing my low opinion of my birthplace. I don't believe I espouse "Southern values" or whatever term you used to imply thinly veiled racism. I just know this is not the place for me. I purposely stated no place is all good or bad, some ppl love it here but I am not among them. If someone is deterred from moving to a place because they read some negative posts on an internet forum, then they are quite easily swayed. Relocation takes careful planning and investigation, not just hopping online and giving up when they encounter something negative.

Old 12-27-2009, 03:55 PM

Quote:
Of course. But at some point, being that Florida depends on "outsiders" for its well being, a happy median must be met that both sides can deal with. Change and development is the only constant in Florida history. Florida is almost a microcosm and case study for the broader United States in that respect.

How many newcomers lament Florida for not having the amenities that existed "elsewhere".... while those that live here lament that same development that makes the newcomers like it better?

I agree, it's hard to make everyone happy I guess. And unfortunately, FL does depend on outsiders for funding, so it's like a double-edged sword. Industry and better jobs that come along with it would definitely help. We can only buy and sell one another's houses so many times, we need better jobs to diversify the FL economy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida