Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-28-2009, 08:25 AM

8,963 posts, read 8,928,952 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilred0005 View Post
This is my biggest fear re: relocation, I'll move to(fill in the blank) and it will end up just like Florida. I was born and raised in Broward so I know all too well about rabid over development. After college I moved to WPB, and in the five yrs I lived there I saw the same over development happening, the same exact things that plagued Broward. It's like all the negative aspects are moving north. PSL is an example of that too so now you have to go north of St. Lucie Co. to escape that cement-city mess. This is also why I fear relocating to East TN, it's already being "discovered" which usually means rabid over development, rampant crime, extremely over priced homes and cost of living, and vile rude ppl everywhere. I sincerely hope this is not Knoxville's fate, that would be a tragedy. I think we're probably going to end up in Northern NH or the Northern Midwest(IA, MN, WI) because it is so different from So. Fla and because we do have roots there. Plus, the cold seems to(not always but often) keep the tools away as many of them came, at least in part, to So. Fla to escape the cold. Like I said before, these are only the opinions of one person, what is my hell is another's heaven, which is one of the greatest things about America. There really is something for everyone!

Eastern TN was discovered many yrs ago actually, but it is still nothing like the S FL you are trying to escape. Nothing. Believe me.

Old 12-28-2009, 08:28 AM

8,963 posts, read 8,928,952 times
Princess, it's a mix of bad luck and what Orlando has become. Yes, there are plenty of nice area in greater Orlando, but even nice ones that you wouldnt have thought would be great for many yrs have sort of taken a turn a bit. Annerk lives like an hr from me - and in a completely different county at that, so that's why her perspective is different. East Orlando is different from Clermont, or Winter Park, or Baldwin Park...

Old 12-28-2009, 09:50 AM

1,275 posts, read 3,416,484 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TriMT7 View Post
Well, for starters, not every school system is bad, nor is there universally "high crime" in Florida. In fact, per capita crime in Florida has been on a steady downward trend since the 1990s.

In fact, as shown, many parts of Florida make "safest cities" lists, and have nationally ranked school systems.

Greatschools.net gives a place like Jupiter, Florida, a 10 rating for its school system.

Let's not forget Florida is a huge state, very diverse in many ways.

I encourage all people who spot the greener grass on the other side of the fence to make the hop on over. Just don't be surprised when you find out the grass is greener because it's over the septic tank.
Thanks, Erma Bombeck!

Old 12-28-2009, 10:05 AM

12,135 posts, read 16,142,671 times
Just curious. What state do you know of that has no "lowlifes".
Perhaps some think they are better than others.

Quote:
Originally Posted by seain dublin View Post
Exactly. There is a big difference between eccentric and lowlifes. FL attracts a lot of lowlifes.

Lot of Jerry Springer type people in this state.

And in a bad economy they're the most desperate.

Old 12-28-2009, 11:25 AM

22,584 posts, read 54,300,403 times
Knoxville has not been discovered and it probably never will be. Roots run too strong here and the locals won't let it. Knoxville is one of those places that you either fit in with or you don't. We let people out into traffic. All the time. We wave at everyone. For no reason. We talk to you in the grocery store. If you are the sort of person that will be driven crazy by that sort of stuff, you will eventually go. We see it happen all the time.

Old 12-28-2009, 11:38 AM

26,585 posts, read 62,061,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hiknapster View Post
Knoxville has not been discovered and it probably never will be. Roots run too strong here and the locals won't let it. Knoxville is one of those places that you either fit in with or you don't. We let people out into traffic. All the time. We wave at everyone. For no reason. We talk to you in the grocery store. If you are the sort of person that will be driven crazy by that sort of stuff, you will eventually go. We see it happen all the time.
I've been there and was hassled by three rednecks in the Taco Bell parking lot because they didn't like my accent when I ordered my food. Couldn't pay me to go back. It was far from friendly.

Old 12-28-2009, 12:16 PM

12,135 posts, read 16,142,671 times
I guess not everybody can make it in FL. I know quite a few transplants, but nobody who regretted coming. What made you come to FL in the first place?

Quote:
Originally Posted by **NoodLes** View Post
Going back to TX, I regret almost every single day I moved to this god awful swamp with Moderator cut: Flaming no pay, I'm almost ready to start from scratch and to hell with everything, don't care anymore, Orlando SUCKS and so do the people. I seriously would take living in ANY TX town small or big than this dead end state.

Old 12-28-2009, 12:23 PM

44 posts, read 113,890 times
Washington State, or New Hampshire. Probably happening this summer, and I can't wait.

Old 12-28-2009, 12:54 PM

22,584 posts, read 54,300,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
I've been there and was hassled by three rednecks in the Taco Bell parking lot because they didn't like my accent when I ordered my food. Couldn't pay me to go back. It was far from friendly.
I've lived here over four years and no one has made fun of my accent. Not even rednecks. And not even in the Taco Bell parking lot.

Old 12-28-2009, 02:26 PM

12 posts, read 63,606 times
This question isn't just hypothetical: I just spent a year in Tucson, AZ; Amazing Town!!! Now I just landed a job in Juneau, AK...Probably moving there in Feb.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida