Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-18-2015, 05:29 AM

15,946 posts, read 12,290,309 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by T. Damon View Post
I won't cook for them, (or at least they won't be invited twice) won't eat with them, won't travel anywhere with them (can you imagine all the pissed off and insulted people left in their wake?) and ultimately would never be more than casual friends with them because I just can't bothered with that childish nonsense.

I wil eat almost anything, certainly at least try it. I don't care if its a snail (love escargot) or a deep fried grasshopper - thank you very much for offering.

that's actually how I feel. It seems harsh but I try things I do not like repeatedly.. about the only things I haven't been able to get myself to like are pickled foods.. whether it be pickles or olives or whatever by themselves. I'll eat them on burgers/pizza but don't particularly enjoy them out of the jar...

I second the picky behavior being signs of other rigidity...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2015, 06:21 AM

38,859 posts, read 25,544,683 times
Default What do you think of picky eaters?

I think they should avoid military service at all costs.

Old 04-18-2015, 08:52 AM

2,429 posts, read 4,023,230 times
To me, it depends on what kind of picky eater they are:

1 -- picky as in I just don't like it, and will NEVER it is even if you've cooked it for me not knowing I didn't like
2 -- picky as in I dont' like it but you made it so I'll have a some of it
3 -- picky as in I'm allergic and CAN'T have it or I could die
4 -- picky as in just doesn't like to try new things.....I had a boss who said his wife could go to the fanciest place in town, and still order the plainest chicken they had on the menu. Never liked to try new things.
5 -- picky as in telling a waiter: "....and I'd like this and this, and that but not that, and no this, and no that, and this on the side....."

In general I hate it when people aren't adventurous with trying new dishes or foods.
But I, myself can be seen as picky for always asking what in something or how it's prepared, if it's not clear from the menu. My friends always make me order last. Since I have the most questions.... sort of, "Oh Lord, here we go again"

Old 04-18-2015, 09:21 AM

19,969 posts, read 30,227,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by T. Damon View Post
I won't cook for them, (or at least they won't be invited twice) won't eat with them, won't travel anywhere with them (can you imagine all the pissed off and insulted people left in their wake?) and ultimately would never be more than casual friends with them because I just can't bothered with that childish nonsense.

I wil eat almost anything, certainly at least try it. I don't care if its a snail (love escargot) or a deep fried grasshopper - thank you very much for offering.

I read this a while ago,,,and thought back to the different lady friends ive had,,,and there is something to your theory,,,,the pickier the eater, the higher all-round maintenance they were...

now,,,its not fair to broad brush,,,but the daintiest girly girls were also highest maintenance (that couldn't or wouldn't even try to change there own tire or get their hands dirty in a garden,) let alone clean a fish or gut a deer without complaining

Old 04-18-2015, 05:41 PM

138 posts, read 130,673 times
They are a pain. My newphew sniffs the food we give him, I feel like telling him to get out of the house.

Old 04-18-2015, 07:39 PM

2,294 posts, read 3,430,247 times
I'm used to my own families foibles when it comes to food, one won't eat fish or seafood but likes scampi another won't eat onions .... another will eat anything that comes within fork distance of him, we always joke to keep your hands off the table when he's around as he'll eat anything.

Last summer we had friends visit from the UK. Now we live in an area which has a lot of Polish and German type restaurants and could we get him to even think of going to one ? nope! We went to a local diner and persuaded him to try a buffalo burger, he let his wife try it first and asked how it was, he ate it but honestly I don't think he liked it. Back at home steak had to be cooked until it resembled shoe leather and he wouldn't even try potato salad nor coleslaw. Just plain fustrating!! He admitted that during their nearly 3 weeks in the US they mostly ate burgers.

Had to edit to give an honorable mention to my son in law to be, he had a sort of strange childhood (hopeless mother) so he doesn't eat meat nor vegetables nor fruit, he will eat bread, chips (fries), potato chips, cheese quesidillas but no ketchup or seasonings.

How strange to visit another country and 'survive' on known foods only, I love visiting not only other regions of the US but other countries and trying local food most of it is delicious! My goodness when DH and I visited Scotland he loved haggis !! He even moaned when we left Scotland and he wasn't offered it at breakfast in our English hotel.

Old 04-18-2015, 07:53 PM

17,330 posts, read 33,036,872 times
More for me.

Old 04-20-2015, 08:14 AM

1,135 posts, read 1,836,572 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jan Alaska View Post
Had to edit to give an honorable mention to my son in law to be, he had a sort of strange childhood (hopeless mother) so he doesn't eat meat nor vegetables nor fruit, he will eat bread, chips (fries), potato chips, cheese quesidillas but no ketchup or seasonings.

This is likely (I am not a doctor) a mild eating disorder (SED/ARFID). I think understanding that and not judging him (or his mother) for it will likely go a long way in your relationship with him. YMMV.

Old 04-20-2015, 08:47 AM

21,020 posts, read 19,388,517 times
Give me a health reason and I understand with compassion.
Otherwise, get outta my house....kidding...

Old 04-20-2015, 03:47 PM

32,940 posts, read 36,369,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Hepburn View Post
Give me a health reason and I understand with compassion.
Otherwise, get outta my house....kidding...
I think you've hit the nail on the head. I've known people who are head injury victims, others who are suffering with various diseases and disorders, or who are taking medications which change their life. Their diet changes with them. They've had to stop eating foods which they enjoyed. They could no longer tolerate them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink