Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-15-2012, 11:26 AM

75 posts, read 91,692 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaimuki View Post
The only cheese I ate while growing up was mozzarella, and on pizza only. Now, I like many types of cheese. From sharp cheddar to Swiss to bleu (including gorgonzola and roquefort) to feta. Times have changed for me when it comes to cheese.

Up until my early 20s I think the only "cheese" I ate was the American process slices, except for pizza. Since then though, my horizons have expanded. I will even on occasion eat Limberger on those little slices of pumpernickel with an onion slice. Have you ever tried Stiltson? A British bleu cheese, but with a vaguely yellowish tint. I also love Brie and Camembert.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-15-2012, 11:31 AM

75 posts, read 91,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Art2ro View Post
Try this bitter melon with egg and shrimp recipes!
https://www.google.com/search?q=pict...w=1344&bih=762

Okay, thanks, I will give them a try as I can. Always looking for new foods and new ways to cook old ones!

Old 11-15-2012, 12:09 PM

50,376 posts, read 63,993,273 times
Cilantro. I used to think it tasted like chlorine smells. I still think it does a little, but I can like it in some Mexican dishes.

Old 11-15-2012, 12:53 PM

4,481 posts, read 3,641,477 times
Actually, it's hot sauce. I never used to like it and now I put it on most everything.

Old 11-15-2012, 01:15 PM

5,638 posts, read 6,517,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theprask View Post
Up until my early 20s I think the only "cheese" I ate was the American process slices, except for pizza. Since then though, my horizons have expanded. I will even on occasion eat Limberger on those little slices of pumpernickel with an onion slice. Have you ever tried Stiltson? A British bleu cheese, but with a vaguely yellowish tint. I also love Brie and Camembert.
I won't go anywhere near Limburger. The smell of it kills me. I don't think I've tried Stilton. I've had Brie and Camembert and I liked both of them.

Old 11-15-2012, 01:24 PM

3,588 posts, read 5,730,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bs13690 View Post
What is the deal with foods that you used to hate and now you like? Suddenly, I like pickled beets and I have no clue why. I use to think they tasted like garbage. Anyone else have a food experience like this?
Asparagus. They looked like they would taste weird, more bitter than anything else. I bought some one day and cooked it, and now I can eat it at least once a week.

Old 11-15-2012, 01:38 PM

2,259 posts, read 4,754,204 times
Candied yams...I guess I never didn't like them it was just they looked so nasty and I refused to eat them, now I pile my plate with them.

Old 11-15-2012, 08:12 PM

1,566 posts, read 2,159,916 times
For me what comes to mind is:

-Mushrooms - OMG are these babies good!!!! Growing up I couldn't even LOOK at them. Now I want them in everything!
-Avocado - I think they just scared me. What did I know??
-Cilantro - hated this for YEARS. Now, put this on top of any kind of mexican dish, especially rice and I'm a happy camper!
-Salmon - oh man...I hated this growing up. My parents would make it...and they'd serve it with butter. I just couldn't get past the fishy taste. Now I love it (admittedly I do love it with sauces and still don't prefer just butter) and I love a blackened salmon caesar salad...YUM
- Pho - I would NEVER have touched this growing up, now I love it.
- Indian food - Ditto, it scared the crap out of me. But again, I was totally ignorant. Now I apppreciate the wonderful flavors.

Old 11-16-2012, 06:05 AM

27,218 posts, read 43,942,133 times
Brussels Sprouts. Always had them cooked until mush as a child and thought they were vile. I was convinced one day in my late twenties to try them cooked properly (sauteed until tender but still green) with Olive Oil and Garlic. Amazing! Might I add having them cooked similarly with Bacon is also something to try for those who have had similar experiences.

Old 11-16-2012, 10:36 AM

101 posts, read 249,881 times
Almost all food that I eat now, esp veggies. When I was a kid, I only liked the taste of fried chicken and egg. Hated everything else.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink