Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-14-2009, 07:28 AM

12,229 posts, read 21,517,233 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cynwldkat View Post
Well between elston and southdown I decided on pork chops for dinner. Trouble is these are not thick or thin just average and the last two packages I defrosted and cooked were not my favorite. They are just not the best pork shops I guess. Tuff! So lacey, can I use the same method you told elston about with just average thickness pork chops? Also, if I decided to use a cream of mushroom soup could I cook them long enough to make them tender without drying them out? I just need to use them up and it's my last package but it sure would be nice to have them taste better then the previous ones! I just quick fried the previous ones.
I marinate pork chops like my mother before me:

1 part soy sauce, 1 part worcestershire, 2 parts water.

Old 01-14-2009, 07:29 AM

21,956 posts, read 24,322,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Debsi View Post
I marinate pork chops like my mother before me:

1 part soy sauce, 1 part worcestershire, 2 parts water.
For how long and then how do you cook them??

Old 01-14-2009, 07:35 AM

I would marinate them anywhere between 2 and 24 hours, depending on my schedule.

I just pan fry them, I think the marinade gives them such a great flavor. I like a cold one out of the refrigerator for breakfast, I must admit. Pork chop, not beer.

You can vigorously boil and reduce the marinade, if you want, for a sauce, but it will be very very salty.

Old 01-14-2009, 07:37 AM

48,151 posts, read 22,016,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LaceyEx View Post
Elston-I dip in egg, bread crumbs or crushed saltines. Brown and put in casserole, cover and bake 325 for 45 min.
Thank You Lacey......I wnt on line and saw a way I used to do them that I had forgotten about....

brown them in some olive oil...and put in baking dish...then a mixture of brown sugar, dry mustard, salt and pepper and chopped green peppers ; lemon juice and a can of tomato sauce.....cover and bake about an hour.....I might go with that.... Egg noodles sound good with that and maybe some winter squash.

PS Debsi just reminded me.....worchestershire sauce used to go into my mixture.

Old 01-14-2009, 07:38 AM

Does that marinade help to make them tender?

Old 01-14-2009, 07:40 AM

Oh elston that sounds so good. Lucky you, you have lovely thick pork chops and I'm sure they are much nicer then the ones I have here! Ugh!! I'm glad this is the last of these!!

Old 01-14-2009, 07:42 AM

Quote:
Does that marinade help to make them tender?
If you added sugar to the recipe it would sound like a brine.. so I'm thinking my mother was brining before it was "in." But if you really want to be sure, there are some brining guidelines here.

Why Brining Keeps Meat So Moist - Fine Cooking Article

Old 01-14-2009, 07:46 AM

3,273 posts, read 2,970,938 times
Good morning!

I'm trying to stay warm.........It is 19 degrees here in NJ today, and will get colder tomorrow. BRRRRR!

I'm making a fast dinner tonight, since, I have a hairdressers appointment at 4.
Stuffed Rigatoni w/salad. (no bread tonight)

Have a great day everyone

Old 01-14-2009, 07:47 AM

48,151 posts, read 22,016,035 times
Quote:
Oh elston that sounds so good. Lucky you, you have lovely thick pork chops and I'm sure they are much nicer then the ones I have here! Ugh!! I'm glad this is the last of these!!
Cyn To keep your chops tender and to add flavor you might use my recipe .. I had forgotten all about it and it is good and does add flavor .

brown them in oil (not to cook em.....just to brown lightly

then mix up 2 T brown sugar
!/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon black pepper
1/2 teaspoon dry mustard
1 tablespoon lemon juice
a couple shakes of worcestershire sauce
1 can of tomato sauce
1/4 cup water
and I like some chopped green pepper for color and flavor...

put mix over chops in a baking dish single layer
cover with aluminum foil
bake about 45 mins to an hour at 350*. If your chops are really thin ...... less time.

Old 01-14-2009, 07:51 AM

22,974 posts, read 27,027,148 times
Goooooood morning all!

SKBS,
we sampled those pizzas at Costco and they were pretty good IMO. Sorry to hear everyone is in the deep freeze, normally it's us but we've been in the 40's for a couple of weeks now though not much sun and it's supposed to start up with the invertsions soon.

Elston
, try taking the can of cream of mushroom soup and mix with a half a can of white wine, salt/pepper to taste. Put the chops in a 9x13 pan and put a slice of either provlone,jack or swiss on top then cover with the soup/wine mix. Bake at 350 for about 45 minutes to 1 hour and server over wide egg noodles or rice. They'll come out fork tender and real moist!

Well yesterday was interesting. The kid chef informed us he wants to join the Navy and be a cook so I had to go with him to speak to a recruiter. Turns out they'll send him to Le Cordon Blue chef school after boot camp to be trained. I told him he needs to finish his current education FIRST so he goes in with a degree and at a higher rank. With his ADHD/Aspergers it'll be interesting to see how things "mature" this year. I think the structure would be good for him but I guess we'll see... Hmm, a Cordon Blu chef in the family??? What's funny is his great,great grandfather was a chef in the merchant marines, his great grandfather was a chef on a research ship and his grandfather was a chef.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink