Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-12-2008, 03:02 PM

21,956 posts, read 24,322,780 times

Advertisements

Do you have the dried onion rings? Crushed and on the chicken breasts/baked is to die for. Then another recipe... Sometimes, I put the chicken, any kind, in soy sauce for a bit (in a large zip lock baggie) and then bake at 350-375 until done. That's easy and good too.

Now I have a question: What special items do you add to yellow neck summer squash to make it just a little different?

Old 06-12-2008, 03:06 PM

48,149 posts, read 22,016,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cynwldkat View Post
Do you have the dried onion rings? Crushed and on the chicken breasts/baked is to die for. I put the chicken, any kind, in soy sauce for a bit (in a large zip lock baggie) and then bake at 350-375 until done. That's easy and good too.

Now I have a question: What special items do you add to yellow neck summer squash to make it just a little different?
I like yellow crook neck squash either mashed with lots of butter and salt and pepper or crumbed and fried. My Dad used to make a scallop squash recipe with saltine cracker crumbs and onion and milk baked in the oven.

Oh when i had my garden I used to cook them on the grill whole...gets a little blackened but all the juices stay inside till you cut them in a bowl...and add butter.

I think lots and lots of butter is my favorite added flavor.

I think their flavor is so exquisite and delicate.....I never thought to use any other seasoning. But now you ask I am thinking a little fresh french tarrogon might go nicely.

Old 06-12-2008, 03:09 PM

8,893 posts, read 4,545,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cynwldkat View Post
Do you have the dried onion rings? Crushed and on the chicken breasts/baked is to die for. Then another recipe... Sometimes, I put the chicken, any kind, in soy sauce for a bit (in a large zip lock baggie) and then bake at 350-375 until done. That's easy and good too.

Sometimes I take alternate slices of the squash and tomato and layer them in a baking dish. Season with S&P, alittle garlic salt and put shredded cheese on top. Bake at 350 until squash is done.

Old 06-12-2008, 03:10 PM

4,103 posts, read 7,028,983 times
Fried chicken breasts, greens, biscuts, mashed potatoes, creamed corn and lemon cheese cake with sweetened whipped cream.

Old 06-12-2008, 03:12 PM

12,229 posts, read 21,517,233 times
Ooh, Elston's method of grilling sounds great. I hardly ever grill though, as I don't consider gas grills to be "grilling" and I don't like the Texas heat enough to want to spend a bunch of time tending and building a charcoal fire.

My favorite way with crookneck squash is VERY simple. It would be better if you used Elston's grilling idea, but then more work.

I take the squash and slice it thin and blanch it for a minute, or steam it.

Then I put it in a bowl that I've melted butter in. Now grab a generous handful of baby spinach leaves and mix them in. The residual heat from the squash will wilt the spinach a little bit. Season generously with salt and pepper. Also good if you put a clove of garlic in the butter when you're melting it.

Old 06-12-2008, 03:25 PM

21,956 posts, read 24,322,780 times
Thanks everyone for the great suggestions.....I am going to do the whole on the grill! Yum! Sounds pretty easy and I also love the wonderful flavor of those little, tender yellow necks! Decided to cook the chicken on the grill---hubbie offered and who am I to refuse? May as well enjoy the grill while the rain is away....

Old 06-12-2008, 03:58 PM

1,309 posts, read 4,193,046 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Denise in Fla View Post
Good afternoon all, anyone have any quick and easy ideas for chicken breasts?
A little late, but a real easy one that I do is marinate for at least an hour in Caesar salad dressing, and then throw 'em on the grill. And, they're even better when you eat the leftovers cold.

Old 06-12-2008, 04:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighlandsGal View Post
This is really good:

Take the chicken breast and season with taco seasoning or cumin, chile powder, garlic, etc.

grill the breasts and when almost done, top with guacomole, a little onion, jalapenos, tomatoes (if you dare ), and then melt some pepper jack cheese (or whatever) on the top. Serve with some black beans, refried beans, or Spanish rice.
Sounds yummy, I'll have to try this the next time I attempt to sneak chicken on hubby's plate!

Old 06-12-2008, 04:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighlandsGal View Post
Blue Cheese Potato Salad - Allrecipes

Here's a sample of one found on allrecipes.com
Thanks! I'll have to give it a try soon!

Old 06-12-2008, 04:04 PM

68,330 posts, read 54,428,613 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Debsi View Post
We're having pork chops that have been marinating in worcestshire (for the love of all that is holy, how DO you spell that word??) and soy sauce.

L-e-a & P-e-r-r-i-n-s!

I'm having a lazy man's dinner tonight straight from the grocer's fridge: Salami, pepperoni, provolone, olives, and roasted red peppers.

And not from the fridge a nice red wine

Last edited by burdell; 06-12-2008 at 04:24 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink