Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-12-2008, 05:35 PM

259,024 posts, read 90,616,968 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by southdown View Post

We have an awful lot of evacuees staying in Austin, so for their sakes lets pray it stays calm in Austin, and that they all have intact homes to go back to...wonder what they are having for dinner tonight
10 to 1 the fast foods joints are booming. I don't think culture will be on their minds at the moment. I know I would not care or hesitate to eat a burger with fries and call it good under the circumstances. Those folks are already having to bare the expense of staying somewhere that is costing extra from their budgets. If you have not seen this yet you may want to make sure the cupboards are stocked for dinner for a couple of extra nights.

Gulf of Mexico Visible Imagery - Satellite Services Division

Old 09-12-2008, 05:40 PM

4,725 posts, read 10,137,125 times
Default Stay safe and eat lightly!

It looks like it is TV dinners for everyone tonight as we all watch the course of Ike!

I have been watching the weather channel where they are doing live broadcasts from Galveston Island. It is said that 40% of the Galveston population has stayed to ride the storm out. How many lives might be lost? This seems to be very irrational thinking in the face of a monster hurricane like Ike. They are experiencing rains and winds up through Kansas and Missouri with cloud formations around Kansas City that are taking the shape of tornadic activity. This will be a devastating storm for the entire midwest.

Chinese take-out for us tonight as we are glued to the television. We just returned from Houston yesterday where the weather at the time was lovely!

Please stay safe all of our coastal friends and all of those who will be feeling the effects of this flooding storm over the next several days.

Old 09-12-2008, 05:45 PM

Location: Lots of sun and palm trees with occasional hurricane :)
8,293 posts, read 16,163,217 times
Cuban sandwich??????? Ummmmm.. now there's an idea!

I don't usually have them even though they are everywhere I turn but tomorrow I have to run a bunch of errands and I may just stop someplace and get one for lunch. Ummmmm.

Old 09-12-2008, 05:52 PM

12,015 posts, read 11,294,175 times
I have been watching Ike on CNN and it is amazing how large it is. My thoughts and prayers are with all affected and, having lost everything we owned in a flood from a hurricane in '94, I am hoping and praying that this is not going to be as bad as I am thinking it will be!

We flooded several days after everything had calmed down - and didn't realize the water was going to come south to us. It was utter devastation - I had to get a tetanus shot from swimming into my house to retrieve some jewelry etc. The Red Cross is THE most wonderful agency I have ever seen. They were there in a matter of days and, being staffed by volunteers!

Ya'll batton down and keep safe, K?

Old 09-12-2008, 05:56 PM

12,015 posts, read 11,294,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
Spanish pork? I'm jealous, I usually make do with regular ol' deli roast pork. I've taken to crushing a clove of garlic and mixing it with a little olive oil into the mustard, goes good with the pork & ham

Explain Spanish pork to me, please?

Old 09-12-2008, 06:00 PM

22,974 posts, read 27,020,248 times
Zatarains black beans and rice with andoulie sausage and green beans. This storm in TX kind of makes my complaining about our cold and snow whining about nothing!
Hope our southern brothers take care!!!!

Old 09-12-2008, 06:05 PM

28,227 posts, read 21,855,297 times
Wow just watching this and anyone who stayed-double wow. This is a bad one- I lived thru many in the Hamptons years ago and NOTHING was like this.

Old 09-12-2008, 06:07 PM

259,024 posts, read 90,616,968 times
For dinner I finally got those pancakes made with King Arthur's white wheat whole grain flour. Added in was some oat barn. Then they where doused heavily with homemade blueberry syrup. I may now need a nap before bed time if I'm not careful....Just maybe I have enough caffeine from the gallon of tea today to keep me going another hour or so. I really want to stay watching and then I don't. Mixed emotions about seeing Ike go ashore. He's bringing back memories of being hit by Charley. Not you Charley the other Charley.

Old 09-12-2008, 06:22 PM

21,274 posts, read 6,349,625 times
I'm not always in the mood for fast food but occasionally I miss going to White Castle. I can get the frozen here but they're not as good as the fresh. My favorite place for sushi and sashimi is on Columbus Ave., between 84th and 85th, in NYC. Lunch and dinner are less expensive than here in Scranton.

Old 09-12-2008, 06:28 PM

48,146 posts, read 22,010,341 times
Southern Maine Bed and Breakfast lodging Romantic Getaway PineCrest Inn Near Portland ME with Restaurant this is the site for the bed and breakfast where we went for dinner....the food was delicious, the service warm and hospitable, music lovely; a memorable evening!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink