Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-21-2008, 06:11 PM

48,116 posts, read 21,996,081 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikenbacismama View Post
- Cyn, my thoughts are with you and your sister. Hope she's feeling better soon.

- Debsi, sorry to sound dense, but can you clarify for me exactly what type of beef the brisket is?

- Elston & Bebette
Whatever brand/finish refrigerator you get, definitely consider getting a bottom freezer model. I had one in my last house and LOVED it! Now I have a standard 21 cu. ft. top freezer unit, and since it was like brand new when we moved in, I couldn't justify spending the money to replace it. I sure miss my bottom freezer, though.
Will keep that in mind! My DP and I were over at HDepot today just looking and pricing (we are still in California); we did like the stainless steel and either the bottom freezer or the side by side models. I am pleased that we are going to have gas so I can get a brand new gas range! I love cooking on gas.

Old 03-21-2008, 06:40 PM

2,410 posts, read 6,003,694 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elston View Post
Will keep that in mind! My DP and I were over at HDepot today just looking and pricing (we are still in California); we did like the stainless steel and either the bottom freezer or the side by side models. I am pleased that we are going to have gas so I can get a brand new gas range! I love cooking on gas.
Man I miss cooking on gas..... but I've been trying to sell my house so can't justify running a gas line for the stove.....

Old 03-21-2008, 06:47 PM

My DP wants to go out for calamari....local Italian resturant makes it really good....we just discovered and he wants it again before we move. I can do the shrimp tomorrow night.

Old 03-21-2008, 06:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wktully View Post
elston - I personally don't care for stainless as it shows any fingerprint or smudge it gets. I've always gone Whirlpool on my appliances and always had great luck with them. Have ya'll seen these fridges with the internet built into them?? Crazy!

An American Indian tradition is to burn sage in each room of a new house to remove bad spirits. I've done this the last two moves and will do it again when I move to MO next month. Never had bad spirits......only Mom & Dad.....LOL!!!!

I was thinking of marinating my salmon - anyone have a good marinade?
I will smudge our new home with white sage; I am bringing some with me that I gathered for that purpose from the local hills, though I don't think of it as an exocism, but more as a way to consecreate and dedicate the space-but yes it is a purification ritual. I think it is similar to the way a priest uses the incense to sanctify the space for the mass.

I will put the sage in an abolone shell light it and then walk around the exterior and interior of the house fanning the smoldering sage with a feather.

--I also use a drum for similar effect......"good vibrations".

Old 03-21-2008, 07:08 PM

23,416 posts, read 36,989,319 times
Quote:

But I am ahead of myself....first I have to buy a stove and refrigerator. Thinking stainless steel....do you have any recommendations or experience one way or the other?
Elston, in my long and checkered career, I sold appliances more than once..... I have seen that someone recommended a bottom mount freezer, heres the down low on those....... they use more electricity, since they have to pump the cold air up, in a top mount, the cold air falls from a baffle in the freezer. The compressor also wears out faster because of the same reason.
I would recommend Whirlpool, Kenmore, or Frigidaire. GE ice cube makers and replacement parts cost twice as much, due to a proprietary agreement with Thompson Electronics, read price controls.
Stainless is on its way out, dont know what your budget is, would be happy to help you choose what you need, pm me if you feel you need advice.....
BTW, here is the latest thing........ that house i told you about? I put these in the kitchen.......oiled bronze, they're jenn-air, just gorgous!

Old 03-21-2008, 07:12 PM

8,893 posts, read 4,542,558 times
Quote:
I will smudge our new home with white sage; I am bringing some with me that I gathered for that purpose from the local hills, though I don't think of it as an exocism, but more as a way to consecreate and dedicate the space-but yes it is a purification ritual. I think it is similar to the way a priest uses the incense to sanctify the space for the mass.

I will put the sage in an abolone shell light it and then walk around the exterior and interior of the house fanning the smoldering sage with a feather.

Your not the only one that does the sage ritual. My oldest daughter does it everytime she moves and so does my step-daughter.

Old 03-21-2008, 07:22 PM

Quote:

dont forget bread for prosperity, red wine for conviviality, and salt, because it is the stuff of life! Whenever friends move into a new house, I bring those as gifts, and break the bread, pour a bit of wine, and scatter the salt on the threshhold, its a very old ritual, but I am sure you know that.
I have always used sage when moving into a new space..... Elston, you are an old soul, indeed!

Old 03-21-2008, 07:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kshe95girl View Post
dont forget bread for prosperity, red wine for conviviality, and salt, because it is the stuff of life! Whenever friends move into a new house, I bring those as gifts, and break the bread, pour a bit of wine, and scatter the salt on the threshhold, its a very old ritual, but I am sure you know that.
I have always used sage when moving into a new space..... Elston, you are an old soul, indeed!
I do think that this soul has been around a few times.....and I have some miles on this particular version.

Old 03-21-2008, 07:40 PM

187 posts, read 613,885 times
I havent been around for awhile, to much work, so Im catching up on threads. But i have seen white asparagus in the stores lately, Is it better than the regular? I love Asparagus!! Maybe we need a recipie thread for that? Cyn, My prayers are with your family! I am going thorough a similar situation.

Old 03-21-2008, 07:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by laurbell View Post
I havent been around for awhile, to much work, so Im catching up on threads. But i have seen white asparagus in the stores lately, Is it better than the regular? I love Asparagus!! Maybe we need a recipie thread for that? Cyn, My prayers are with your family! I am going thorough a similar situation.
its the same as green, just grown with soil mounded around the stalks, so the chlorophyll doesnt develop, its a bit milder in flavor, but can be prepared just the same.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink