Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-24-2014, 08:51 PM

7,126 posts, read 8,655,613 times

Advertisements

Turkey tettrazinni with left over Thanksgiving Day turkey...it was awful!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-25-2014, 12:29 AM

854 posts, read 1,141,052 times
Yes, don't ever think you can substitute fresh seafood in stir fry with canned sardines or clams. It doesn't work out to good.

Old 05-25-2014, 12:57 AM

513 posts, read 799,497 times
Two things stick out. In college I tried making pasta with vodka sauce. In the middle of cooking I realized the only vodka I had was Svedka Vanilla vodka. I decided to use it. Yes, it turned out as disgusting as it sounds.

Second, I tried making Tres Leches cake after having an amazing slice at a restaurant. I don't know if it was the recipe or me but it just tasted soggy. The cake I had out tasted like regular cake with an ice cream taste to it. It was moist with milk crystals and super cold, but not frozen. Absolutely delicious. Mine ended up tasting like someone spilled milk on their cake. Not good.

Old 05-25-2014, 01:06 AM

1,102 posts, read 1,155,785 times
Homemade whip cream....total disaster....wrecked desert....

Old 05-25-2014, 01:40 AM

5,652 posts, read 6,989,046 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSD610 View Post
Did you know that you can actually disintegrate bacon into non existence with a microwave?
I've disintegrated a fish in a simple frying pan. No electronic appliances needed.

Old 05-25-2014, 02:41 AM

19,969 posts, read 30,227,645 times
having a deep fried turkey one year, I also thought, lets try a deep fried Cornish game hen- tasty little birds,
so when the turkey was finished cooking, I threw in the hens, and forgot about them!! (got wrapped up in serving and eating the turkey in the house...

well, after dinner I went out in the back yard, and remembered the Cornish hens- they were big crusty nuggets at this point
so I quickly threw them out before anyone could see them!!

Old 05-25-2014, 05:22 AM

1,912 posts, read 2,747,090 times
For all of my cooking life there are just sometimes that for whatever reasons the recipe epically fails. I am glad to say those are rare and far in between, but those failed attempts make me want to master them and learn how to get it right.

First one that I remember is now a family legend which came to be known as purple chicken!

Basically I had basted a chicken in burgundy wine as a fricase and well it looked just like the description, but the amazing part was the the taste was wonderfull if you could get past it's visual un appetizing presentation.

Old 05-25-2014, 05:53 AM

8,877 posts, read 13,917,274 times
I made a very large pan of baked ziti with meat and sausage several years ago that came out with such a bad "off-taste" to it. We dumped that out and I never tried it again. I just have to give it another shot one day.

Old 05-25-2014, 06:17 AM

Location: Georgia, on the Florida line, right above Tallahassee
10,471 posts, read 15,835,178 times
Roast duck. It became duck jerky.

Old 05-25-2014, 07:57 AM

4,965 posts, read 5,690,601 times
I've already related the story about the "worst pasta dish in the world" I made in Rome, Italy back in July 2007 - it tasted like battery acid, and even a feral cat that came up to the apartment would not touch it.

Otherwise, I guess the worst I did was when as a family, when I was a kid back in the 90's, us kids would take turns to make the evening meal one night a week. I remember making a meal of dried, wrinkly tasteless butter beans with burned chicken legs and everybody groaning about it and not wanting to eat it, and me telling everybody off and getting angry.

There was a time when, as a kid again I tried making a cake just by attempting to remember what my mum had done, and simply adding about what ratio of flour, eggs etc.. I thought would be suitable and putting in the oven four an hour. The result was a disgusting coagulated mess, none of the ingredients had blended and it was a horrid texture.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink