Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-03-2015, 04:47 PM

4,604 posts, read 5,779,493 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luvvarkansas View Post
Mine don't like much, but they complain about having the same old thing over and over! grrrr

Whenever I try something new, they look at it like a calf looking at a new gate.

So, I find myself stuck between a rock and a hard place.
As another poster stated, maybe try to get them involved in the planning and cooking.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooby Snacks View Post
I'll try most anything once, but if it looks or smells revolting, I can't give it even a first try. My awesome neighbors threw a wonderful New Year's Eve bash. They make an interesting New Year's concoction: black eyed peas with mayonnaise, and they kept bugging everyone to try it. They swore we'd love it even though it looked gross. I like black eyed peas but I normally eat it with vinegar for New Year's. So I decided to check out their experiment and keep an open mind. I examined the styrofoam bowl with black eyed peas swimming in what looked like a watery cream sauce, and a wave of nausea washed over me. I just couldn't handle trying it, despite my mad love for my friends
We eat with our eyes first.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2015, 04:56 PM

13,754 posts, read 13,334,326 times
I know exactly what you mean. I was with someone I call "Psycho man" about 25 years ago. Nothing I did was okay. My cooking was the regular joke at his parent's house. They all laughed. It felt much further than emotional abuse in that relationship - more like emotional terrorism.

I don't take mean criticism very well these days. Thankfully I have a man who loves eating and he appreciates my efforts. I do try really hard. I can follow directions pretty well so recipes are fun.

Old 01-03-2015, 05:30 PM

24,012 posts, read 28,472,760 times
My husband can be picky. His mother was a good cook but very "of her time". Veggies were cooked to death and the smell of onions cooking, to him means liver and onions. Which he hates. My kids are pretty good eaters. When I try something new I will always ask if it's "make again" or not. I don't take it personally. Now that the kids are grown and mostly gone, I don't mind nearly as much if my husband avoids onions or carrots. And after almost 27 years, he knows I'll make some accommodation to his preferences but he also will not complain if I cook something that he doesn't particularly like, he just finds something else to eat.

Old 01-03-2015, 07:03 PM

2,453 posts, read 3,609,639 times
When my son was at home as a growing teenager he ate most everything I cooked. I did like to try out new recipes and if there was one that didn't work out so well he would still eat the whole thing and say, "That was good, Mom, but let's not have it again."

He was always a polite boy.

Old 01-03-2015, 07:12 PM

51,655 posts, read 25,850,631 times
When our kids were teens, I needed a chart to keep track of who was able to eat what. One kid was lactose intolerant and while he would eat cheese, milk, etc., his joints hurt and he farted like you wouldn't believe. Another one hated onions and green peppers. Third one was a vegetarian off and on and cried sometimes when I served meat. Salads, spaghetti, and tomato soup were day in and day out favorites.

Recently was planning a luncheon for a group of women. Several are gluten intolerant, one can't eat anything with nightshade plants like tomatoes or eggplants, two are vegan...

Salad it is.

Old 01-03-2015, 07:44 PM

5,652 posts, read 6,991,741 times
I've been about 95% successful at keeping picky eaters out of my life. I feel sorry for all you posters.

FWIW, I was a picky eater as a kid. My mother tricked me into eating mushrooms by saying it was dark meat chicken. I would not eat eggplant, which is now my favorite vegetable, nor a whole bunch of things. And then, on a class trip to NYC in 10th grade in the 70s, I ate sushi, mostly because I didn't want to be the odd one out (this was well before sushi was "cool"). Loved it. My mother (who wouldn't ever come near any kind of raw protein) was appalled. But after that, I pretty much tried (and mostly ate) everything with maybe 3-4 exceptions.

Old 01-03-2015, 08:29 PM

8,869 posts, read 16,326,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clemencia53 View Post
Its basically a stew - right? I wouldn't eat it either. Hate "boiled" chicken, now a nice crispy roast chicken would be great. They might all eat chicken, but prepared how?
Properly made, coq au vin is not "stew." It is chicken sauted to seal in the juices then braised in a wine sauce with pearl onions and mushrooms. The traditional French way to make it is to braise an entire chicken, cut into pieces. I, however, only used boned and skinned chicken breasts so as not to offend the members of my family (there are several) who throw a fit if they see a bone in their meat. Personally, I have nothing against a crispy roast chicken, but to my family even that would be unacceptable because nothing is allowed served resembling the shape it used to be in life (no bones, no fat, no skin). In my recent case, all the people who deigned to eat the chicken loved it. It was only rejected by those who that day were making their diet solely out of refined carbohydrates.

Old 01-03-2015, 08:41 PM

5,413 posts, read 6,710,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jukesgrrl View Post
Properly made, coq au vin is not "stew." It is chicken sauted to seal in the juices then braised in a wine sauce with pearl onions and mushrooms. The traditional French way to make it is to braise an entire chicken, cut into pieces. I, however, only used boned and skinned chicken breasts so as not to offend the members of my family (there are several) who throw a fit if they see a bone in their meat. Personally, I have nothing against a crispy roast chicken, but to my family even that would be unacceptable because nothing is allowed served resembling the shape it used to be in life (no bones, no fat, no skin). In my recent case, all the people who deigned to eat the chicken loved it. It was only rejected by those who that day were making their diet solely out of refined carbohydrates.
That is a prime example of a picky eater compared to someone that doesn't like a specfic dish or ingredient.

Old 01-03-2015, 10:43 PM

6,048 posts, read 18,433,432 times
I hate cooking because I'd be forced to choose what to serve, and then my family would whine and complain that they didn't like it. Admittedly, I sometimes even I hate what I cook. It's a mystery how somethings I will like something, and then next day hate it, even though I've fixed it the same way.

My mom was a very good cook, but I hated cooking then and refused to stay in the kitchen and see how she did things.

I'm always up for going out to eat!

Old 01-04-2015, 02:10 AM

6,395 posts, read 6,283,899 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
We all have preferences.

Determining that you "don't like" something you've never so much as tried is beyond irritating, though.
Sometimes the smell is enough and you KNOW it would make you gag. I've never eaten anything that smelled bad to me and they said "yum."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink