Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-03-2015, 10:53 AM

36,499 posts, read 54,114,938 times

Advertisements

Nobody in my family complains (they know better) but they tell me if something was not to their liking in subtle ways- leaving much on the plate, answering "not really" if i ask if they would like me to fix this again, but I've learned DH is more and more sensitive to pepper, garlic and won't touch green, or any color peppers at all. I found the following article very interesting. Does any member of your family complain?

Unearthed: How to get people to cook more? Get eaters to complain less. - The Washington Post
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2015, 11:25 AM

4,901 posts, read 8,761,391 times
Oh my goodness, do NOT get me started on the picky eaters in my house!!!!! It started with hubby and extended on to both kids. No wonder I do not like to cook!

Old 01-03-2015, 11:32 AM

16,709 posts, read 19,424,866 times
But what you're describing is about people who just didn't like whatever you cooked, and don't want it again for whatever reason. What is wrong with that? I wouldn't consider it complaining. I just wouldn't make it again. Who wants to waste food?

Old 01-03-2015, 12:00 PM

19,969 posts, read 30,241,153 times
picky eaters ..seems to run in the family...like cats on how they approach food...

while non picky eaters are like dogs ...

be careful even saying the words "picky eater" evokes some emotional baggage/hysteria

ive lightened up my stance in my old age.... people like what they like ,,as long as they dont fuss about things too much

at gatherings i go buffet style,,,grab what you want

i will not push a kid into eating something they dont like- i saw too much of that with friends growing up

you also have to consider if at a big meal with many appetizers and courses.... you can get filled up in a hurry

i hate seeing chips out at gatherings,,,one of them avoidance foods- i dont ever buy them or eat them,,,but if they are in front of me,,,damn dont they taste good
a couple weeks ago someone had some awesome sweetnsour meatballs,,,i had to walk away from them,,,i could have eaten the whole dish ..

Old 01-03-2015, 12:13 PM

7,672 posts, read 12,829,165 times
I am the rare one that I do want to know what they didn't like about my cooking. My family and friends know to tell me directly. Oh it's a bit too salty, spicy or I didn't like the oregano in it etc. But they state it in a matter fact type tone. I don't mind picky eaters and absolutely don't mind catering to their tastes. I think it's why there are always so many kids at my house.

I grew up with a parent that wouldn't let me leave the table unless my plate was clean. I often sat at that table for hours and hours. I even had the same "dish" served to me for 3 days straight at every meal till my mom finally gave up on me eating fish sticks. (I despised them and still do) So I remember how it was to be forced to eat what I didn't like and vowed never to do that in my house. I only have one rule, taste it once. I have great eaters and one picky eater. I often make two meals by omitting some things in one dish etc. No trouble at all.

I won't make an entire separate meal but I will gladly omit, modify etc their portion. If anything it makes me want to cook even more to find something they like.

Old 01-03-2015, 12:23 PM

1,882 posts, read 4,620,702 times
I don't have a problem with people not liking or even complaining after they have tried what I've made. But what I hate is when they complain before even trying it.

My kids haven't ever done that, but my gf and her son can really ____ me off. they will look and complain like it's the end of the world before even trying it. Just happened the other day. GF was being a real _____ about what I put in black eyed peas. Said "nobody will eat them like that, they will be terrible!" She, and everyone else, really liked them and wanted to know how I did it. She did apologize later, but I chewed her butt for being like that.

Hate picky eaters that will eat spicy at a restaurant, 5X more spice than mine, but won't touch mine cause I said I put a lil bit of blk pepper in it. LOL!

But, to each their own. In my kitchen I cook how I cook. I do my best to make everyone happy. I don't cater to the single person that complains all the time.

Rant over. lol

Old 01-03-2015, 12:29 PM

3,804 posts, read 6,176,140 times
About 1 in 50 people have a more developed sense of taste than average. Supposedly, it helps nomads avoid dangerous foods as they will be more sensitive to poisonous foods than the average person and avoid things with small enough doses that the average person might eat a lethal dose of anyways.

Plus just anecdotal. Don't ever force your kids to eat. Pretty sure I have some sort of eating disorder because my parents did this to me. I wish they'd've just let the doctors give me growth hormone instead so I could be above average height instead of fat and short.

Old 01-03-2015, 12:39 PM

1,242 posts, read 1,691,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt. Cave Man View Post
I don't have a problem with people not liking or even complaining after they have tried what I've made. But what I hate is when they complain before even trying it.
This. I know before I even get started that my teenager will complain. She is getting better *BUT* I've had enough of her moaning "gross" for a lifetime. One time, at dinner she "chopped" me based on presentation. I said, "Woohoo, no more cooking for me!" and let her cook AND wash the dishes the next day.

Old 01-03-2015, 12:41 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,606,010 times
We all have preferences.

Determining that you "don't like" something you've never so much as tried is beyond irritating, though.

Old 01-03-2015, 12:42 PM

5,404 posts, read 16,001,992 times
I know what my family likes and doesn't....so I don't cook the stuff they don't like! If it's something I love, I will sometimes make it for ME....but I don't force it on them!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink