Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-05-2015, 05:14 PM

17,077 posts, read 13,381,268 times

Advertisements

I think it really just boils down to time and conflicting priorities. Cooking is time-intensive, and in many two-income families, evenings are a whirlwind of activity with kids going to and fro for sports, music, tutoring, etc. Evenings just disappear. I can't blame people for finding ways to feed themselves that allow them to keep up the insane pace of suburban family life. I just wish that the commercial food industry would offer healthier foods and portions, but that doesn't sell.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2015, 06:37 PM

12,062 posts, read 10,283,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
Yeah, right.

I think most people will do whatever they can get away with.

Of course we ALL have taste preferences. Hell, I can't force myself to swallow an egg.
I have tried a million times. It's a great, portable, quick source of protein and I want very much to be able to use them. I will literally vomit.

But unwilling to eat something vs CAN'T eat it...I don't believe for one second that people are so picky that outside of some small food group, they simply can't stomach an item...so much so to the point that people have to fix them special meals and get frustrated at family meals.

It's a rare thing to be a true supertaster or have real food allergies/intolerances to the point you *really can't* eat something. You think starving countries are full of "picky eaters"? LOL.

It's called quit being an ungrateful schmo.
I call myself a picky eater, but I will eat pig feet, cow stomach, cow head (barbacoa) cow stomach (menudo) morzilla (blood sausage) - from the rooter to the tooter!

But I would not be able to or want to swallow a boiled egg if that is what you mean by swallowing an egg - like Paul Newman in Cool Hand Luke.

Otherwise eggs - could eat them every single day - so yummy - why can't you eat them? Is it the smell.

I abhor chicken soup if I can see the skin. Anything with the pimply skin showing makes me gag. My grandmother used to kill chickens and I still remember the smell of wet and scorched feathers. So any chicken skin I eat better be crispy.

Old 01-05-2015, 06:41 PM

33,942 posts, read 22,544,846 times
Seems like common sense, doesn't it? Spend some time telling me how you like my cooking; ask me to make your favorite dish; and I'll fall all over myself to do it even though I work full-time, etc.

BUT, rushing home to fix dinner after putting in a grueling day to an unenthusiastic crowd - is quite a different story.

If things got too quiet at my dinner table - I would suggest 'this might be a good time to compliment the cook'. I was joking - but I think they got it.

Old 01-05-2015, 07:19 PM

44,259 posts, read 64,397,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clemencia53 View Post
But I would not be able to or want to swallow a boiled egg if that is what you mean by swallowing an egg - like Paul Newman in Cool Hand Luke.

Otherwise eggs - could eat them every single day - so yummy - why can't you eat them? Is it the smell.

The smell of a cooking egg is nauseating but I have gotten over it as I have always lived with people who love to eat eggs.
The taste and texture is purely appalling.
You ever smelled a rotten egg?
That is what a good egg smells and tastes like to me - just not as strong. But the same scent/flavor.
I have forced myself to wolf down scrambled eggs (so as not to offend my host family when traveling once) but can't chew them.
Eggs in things (quiche, pancakes, even pieces in fried rice, etc) are not offensive.

Old 01-05-2015, 07:21 PM

17,077 posts, read 13,381,268 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
The smell of a cooking egg is nauseating but I have gotten over it as I have always lived with people who love to eat eggs.
The taste and texture is purely appalling.
You ever smelled a rotten egg?
That is what a good egg smells and tastes like to me - just not as strong. But the same scent/flavor.
I have forced myself to wolf down scrambled eggs (so as not to offend my host family when traveling once) but can't chew them.
I think my husband has pretty much the same reaction to canned tuna.

Old 01-05-2015, 07:27 PM

37,626 posts, read 46,035,471 times
I think the point of the article was that it seems that moms are just too frustrated to deal with cooking meals for the family. They are exhausted trying to find different combinations that everyone likes, and it's tiresome making special food for the picky ones. So what they should do instead is STOP. Stop tolerating all the griping and the complaining about the food. The fact is, you are expending the effort to make dinner for everyone, and that is quite enough. If they don't like it, then they will eat less of it. Tomorrow night it will be something else. But eventually, they will learn to like it, or tolerate it. You don't do kids any favors to make "special foods" for them. I have never understood why anyone does this.

Old 01-05-2015, 08:51 PM

44,259 posts, read 64,397,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChessieMom View Post
I think the point of the article was that it seems that moms are just too frustrated to deal with cooking meals for the family. They are exhausted trying to find different combinations that everyone likes, and it's tiresome making special food for the picky ones. So what they should do instead is STOP. Stop tolerating all the griping and the complaining about the food. The fact is, you are expending the effort to make dinner for everyone, and that is quite enough. If they don't like it, then they will eat less of it. Tomorrow night it will be something else. But eventually, they will learn to like it, or tolerate it. You don't do kids any favors to make "special foods" for them. I have never understood why anyone does this.
100% AGREE.

I have no issue with the fact that my son hates broccoli. We don't make him eat it.
But he likes lots of other fruits and veggies. That is ok. He merely has to TRY a bite of any new food before he is allowed to reject it. Once he has, there is no argument.
He has never not participated in whatever everyone else was eating. Even if you don't like one thing on the table, there are bound to be other things you can just eat more of.

Old 01-05-2015, 11:43 PM

6,895 posts, read 5,868,996 times
The average "picky eater" just dislikes a certain handful of foods or flavors, but they happen to be stuff some people dump in EVERYTHING. If you have a person whom you know hates onions it's not that hard to just put the onions on the side. I remember as a kid I loathed cooked broccoli and cauliflower and somehow those most disgusting of all veggies would find their way into such a variety of dishes, and their sulfurous taste would get all over everything. I to this day do not understand why it was necessary, it's not like there was a counterpart among my family who loooooved them, lol. YOU COULD HAVE USED ANY OF A HUNDRED OTHER VEGGIES INSTEAD, FAMILY.

I guess if you're only serving one dish, no sides, nothing else, or you're insisting every family member eat everything prepared you can run into problems. But the first one isn't usual for a sit-down dinner, and the second one is self-inflicted.

Old 01-06-2015, 02:45 PM

20,937 posts, read 28,449,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clemencia53 View Post
Spent 35 years? Did she finally divorce him?
No she put up with it Unfortunately though he died of pancreatic cancer in 2004. In the later years of their marriage he finally realized how lucky he was and how much effort went into my mom's cooking that he stopped complaining. She would also give it right back to him and he would shut up and eat it.

Old 01-06-2015, 02:56 PM

12,441 posts, read 14,885,809 times
I experiment with exotic recipes and uncommon ingredients, so I'm immune to negative reactions and comments.

Last year I cooked a beef cheek recipe that takes three days to prepare. When I served it to my family they took one bite and said "no, uh-uh." The beef cheek was so tender that it had become gelatinous. When recipes fail we just laugh and come-up with a last-minute dish together or get a pizza.

Then there was the fiery-hot Doro Wat from hell...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink