Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-04-2015, 03:29 AM

14,776 posts, read 8,112,224 times

Advertisements

I have some picky eaters. Everything that my son likes to eat, my husband hates. Everything my husband likes to eat, my son hates,lol....it can be a challenge....there are only a few things that they agree on that they like.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2015, 05:36 AM

13,754 posts, read 13,326,193 times
After a while I abhor going out to eat. Waste of money and food doesn't mean that much to me, honestly. I could live on cold cereal, toast and ice cream.

Lamb is a good example of a food some people cannot STAND the smell!

OH my guy can be a food snob when it comes to supermarket brands. I have to sneak those by him. Sometimes I think he knows and looks the other way.

Old 01-04-2015, 06:59 AM

276 posts, read 338,352 times
Every once in a while I see a movie about the Great Depression, a devastating war, an apocalyptic event, etc. and wonder how picky eaters would fair when food is so scarce. I'll bet very few would starve to death; they'd eat what was available and be glad to have it.

What would be really interesting to know is, would their eating habits change to be far less picky after surviving such an event.

I'll bet that millions of people would be magically cured of their gluten intolerance if all there was to eat was bread and water.

Old 01-04-2015, 08:15 AM

7,672 posts, read 12,824,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neosec View Post
Every once in a while I see a movie about the Great Depression, a devastating war, an apocalyptic event, etc. and wonder how picky eaters would fair when food is so scarce. I'll bet very few would starve to death; they'd eat what was available and be glad to have it.

What would be really interesting to know is, would their eating habits change to be far less picky after surviving such an event.

I'll bet that millions of people would be magically cured of their gluten intolerance if all there was to eat was bread and water.
Actually bread would be the first to go in an event where there's no power etc. You would be living on canned good and what you can scavenge or hunt. It would be back to "nature". lol

Old 01-04-2015, 09:04 AM

172 posts, read 180,907 times
I totally get it. Cooking is one of the things I completely hate to do and it is mostly because of my DH.

- He doesn't know what he wants to eat until 20 minutes before dinner time, making meal planning useless.
- He is a mood eater, if he isn't in the mood for it he will not eat it even if it is something he likes and we planned together earlier in the week.
- He likes stuff until all of a sudden he doesn't. He didn't mind beans in things for awhile and then one day, he wouldn't eat them anymore.
- He will not eat most things that had been frozen before so that eliminates something like assembling meals and freezing for later.
- He rarely eats leftovers and if he does, it is only once more.
- He doesn't want to repeat meats. If he has chicken in his lunch (which he eats out when he is in the office), he doesn't want it for dinner. If he had it for dinner, he doesn't want it for lunch. He eats three meats and that's not a lot of flexibility.
- If I just make something without any input and he thinks he won't like it, he won't eat it.

I used to love cooking, I still like looking at cookbooks and reading recipes but he's just a cooking killjoy. We eat out way more than we should but most days I just don't have the wherewithal to even start the process of trying to figure out what to make, let alone make it and clean up after it. It is pretty horrible to plan and cook a wonderful meal to have someone turn his nose up at it and choose to eat nothing instead of just eating it. I feel defeated before I even start and it is a constant point of stress.

ETA: I am a decent cook, I won't say I am phenomenal but it isn't like I am making something disgusting. My food is generally always eaten at potlucks and people request recipes of things I have made. This issue isn't about someone's skill as a cook, it is about one or more people being particular and picky about what they want.

I remember my birthday dinner a couple of years ago. I chose a new place in town, one of those farm to table places. We ended up going with our neighbors and the husband is also a picky eater. He took one look at the limited menu and decided to order nothing. He just sat there while we all got our meals. My husband took one bite of his and decided it was too fancy for him so he and the other husband ended up going next door for some pizza. The food was really good, they were just being picky.

Last edited by CarolinaPig; 01-04-2015 at 09:48 AM..

Old 01-04-2015, 09:07 AM

1,225 posts, read 1,405,638 times
No one complains about my cooking; I'm a great cook. But of course occasionally someone will leave something on their plates and if it looks like they barely took one bite, I'll figure they didn't like it. This usually only happens with NEW dishes OR vegetables that aren't flavored much (like brocolli, etc).

All of my main entree's are eaten by all -- and usually well loved.

Old 01-04-2015, 09:34 AM
JL

8,522 posts, read 14,539,581 times
While growing up, my mother never was concerned with me liking what and how she cooked. If i didn't like it, so be it. She still cooked anyway. My father expected it.

Old 01-04-2015, 09:51 AM

172 posts, read 180,907 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JL View Post
While growing up, my mother never was concerned with me liking what and how she cooked. If i didn't like it, so be it. She still cooked anyway. My father expected it.
My four year old is a better eater than my DH, she generally eats whatever I put in front of her. Cooking is one way I show my love for my family, it is really defeating to have it be rejected over and over again.

Old 01-04-2015, 09:57 AM

36,499 posts, read 54,093,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolinaPig View Post
I totally get it. Cooking is one of the things I completely hate to do and it is mostly because of my DH.

- He doesn't know what he wants to eat until 20 minutes before dinner time, making meal planning useless.
- He is a mood eater, if he isn't in the mood for it he will not eat it even if it is something he likes and we planned together earlier in the week.
- He likes stuff until all of a sudden he doesn't. He didn't mind beans in things for awhile and then one day, he wouldn't eat them anymore.
- He will not eat most things that had been frozen before so that eliminates something like assembling meals and freezing for later.
- He rarely eats leftovers and if he does, it is only once more.
- He doesn't want to repeat meats. If he has chicken in his lunch (which he eats out when he is in the office), he doesn't want it for dinner. If he had it for dinner, he doesn't want it for lunch. He eats three meats and that's not a lot of flexibility.
- If I just make something without any input and he thinks he won't like it, he won't eat it.

I used to love cooking, I still like looking at cookbooks and reading recipes but he's just a cooking killjoy. We eat out way more than we should but most days I just don't have the wherewithal to even start the process of trying to figure out what to make, let alone make it and clean up after it. It is pretty horrible to plan and cook a wonderful meal to have someone turn his nose up at it and choose to eat nothing instead of just eating it. I feel defeated before I even start and it is a constant point of stress.

ETA: I am a decent cook, I won't say I am phenomenal but it isn't like I am making something disgusting. My food is generally always eaten at potlucks and people request recipes of things I have made. This issue isn't about someone's skill as a cook, it is about one or more people being particular and picky about what they want.

I remember my birthday dinner a couple of years ago. I chose a new place in town, one of those farm to table places. We ended up going with our neighbors and the husband is also a picky eater. He took one look at the limited menu and decided to order nothing. He just sat there while we all got our meals. My husband took one bite of his and decided it was too fancy for him so he and the other husband ended up going next door for some pizza. The food was really good, they were just being picky.
This is how I would handle this. Cook whatever you want to keeping in mind his general preferences. Don't announce it or give him veto power. Just prepare it and put it on the table (I'm assuming he had nothing to do with preparation.) Enjoy your meal. If he doesn't like it let him get up and make something for himself or let him eat out alone.

I'm sure he has many redeeming qualities but I could not handle this kind of behavior.( And I'm sure you couldn't handle some of my own DH's behavior.)

Old 01-04-2015, 09:58 AM

4,992 posts, read 5,292,680 times
I find cooking irritating because of what people will and won't eat. My husband is a true southerner and like a lot of southerners thinks that southern style is the only way certain foods should be cooked. I've given up cooking for his family and friends because I honestly cannot make them happy. We went to his friend's house this last week. I wanted to order Chinese, but the wife demanded to cook. She made chicken enchiladas and beef tacos. Ever had had southern 'Mexican' food? There was none of the typical spiciness and flavor that I've become accustomed to. The salsa tasted like tomatoes and salt. Talking to her afterwards she mentioned she knew "I never cook" and thought we would like a "home cooked meal." I found the situation entertaining. Her intentions were good and sometimes you just can't win.

My husband does have his saving graces in that he is an adventurous eater in the more ethnic type foods. I've been introduced to new foods because of him. Our kids will try new foods. I have one child that will absolutely not eat anything with tomatoes in it, but will eat a variety of adventurous foods. His little brother also hates raw tomatoes, but will eat salsa and spaghetti sauce. Little sister hates raw onions, but loves raw tomatoes. My husband hates raw onions and tomatoes, but will eat them cooked. I'm not a fan of cinnamon, olives or oysters, but will purchase them for those who do love them.

I also believe that picky eating is passed down. Parents who are picky pass on that trait. I've had friends that force their kids to eat everything presented. It doesn't work. At my house, new foods are considered a fun adventure. I ask you to try a new food, you are allowed to 'politely' spit it out. It is ok to laugh if something tastes funny. We have gone places like Whole Foods on Saturday to try new things. My kids will try kale smoothies and most everything else put in front of them.

The article mentioned the kids menu. I too think kid menus are a detriment. I usually have to make my kids eat off of them because they think they are being deprived. We've found that even McDonald's will allow you to add tomato and lettuce to the kid's meal hamburger. My kids also love salad. I sometimes order a big salad and share it with the kids to keep them happy if I can talk them into the cheaper kids meal.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink