Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-15-2012, 05:55 AM

13,404 posts, read 28,733,488 times

Advertisements

Dr Oz is a quack imo that shot to the limelight thanks to Oprah another quack, very rich quack but quack none the less
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2012, 06:06 AM

4,176 posts, read 10,689,689 times
I have always found it amusing that people tout skim and fat-free milk these days, when during the Depression, my mother, aunts and uncles could only get 'bluejohn' - the 'milk' left over after all of the fat and cream had been skimmed off and sold for butter, cream, etc to the 'rich people'. It was well known then that 'bluejohn' had zero nutritive value; that there was not enough calcium in it to keep the kids' teeth from rotting, and that it was one step up from water in both flavor and nutrition. For us kids growing up, we always had whole milk at my mother's insistence, and not one of us was ever fat. Of course, we were physically active, outside all day til the streetlights came on, and healthy. I still remember the cream in the glass bottles pushing up through the foil caps on our twice weekly milk deliveries; we'd scrape it off and eat it like candy before we poured out the milk.

Lifestyles are what matter; and a healthy lifestyle that includes wholesome, unprocessed foods in a full-ranging diet along with exercise and good sleep habits are what grow healthy children into healthy adults. Experts' opinions change faster than the weather - facts don't.

Old 08-15-2012, 06:19 AM

19,521 posts, read 9,543,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCGranny View Post
I have always found it amusing that people tout skim and fat-free milk these days, when during the Depression, my mother, aunts and uncles could only get 'bluejohn' - the 'milk' left over after all of the fat and cream had been skimmed off and sold for butter, cream, etc to the 'rich people'. It was well known then that 'bluejohn' had zero nutritive value; that there was not enough calcium in it to keep the kids' teeth from rotting, and that it was one step up from water in both flavor and nutrition. For us kids growing up, we always had whole milk at my mother's insistence, and not one of us was ever fat. Of course, we were physically active, outside all day til the streetlights came on, and healthy. I still remember the cream in the glass bottles pushing up through the foil caps on our twice weekly milk deliveries; we'd scrape it off and eat it like candy before we poured out the milk.

Lifestyles are what matter; and a healthy lifestyle that includes wholesome, unprocessed foods in a full-ranging diet along with exercise and good sleep habits are what grow healthy children into healthy adults. Experts' opinions change faster than the weather - facts don't.
I can't speak to "bluejohn" but as a kid growing up, we had the whole milk not 2% or 1% or skim. Did not have any overweight issues. We just participated in activities, whether it was baseball/softball, tag football, basketball, swimming, and bicycling to friend's homes and also kid games like hide and go seek.

We had gym class at least once a week, maybe twice and there was recess. I don't think some schools do either of these things anymore.

Old 08-15-2012, 07:16 AM

1,072 posts, read 1,378,166 times
In our house we drink and cook with 2% milk at all times.

Old 08-15-2012, 07:19 AM

6,990 posts, read 11,418,823 times
Well when they take fat out of these foods they tend to put more sugar in, sugar is usually metabolised faster into actual body fat than dietary fat is, via high insulin levels, which may be the basis for his statement. I've always had the whole fat everything because I think it's healthier than these things with added sugar and funny enough I'm slim and healthy with low cholesterol.

Old 08-15-2012, 07:43 AM

4,030 posts, read 10,765,734 times
I personally switched over to skim, not because I am concerned about calories (although I should be) but because I love milk but I have to really watch my cholesterol. It was switch to skim or give up milk all together. My husband refused to drink anything but whole milk. He is in great shape and has no cholesterol issues.

I'd never heard the "bluejohn" term before, but my father in law always referred to skim milk as "blue milk". I guess that's where it got the term.

Old 08-15-2012, 08:05 AM

17,535 posts, read 39,141,385 times
Well, I don't drink milk at all (love butter and cheese, though) milk never agreed with me. My hubby likes milk with his cereal, but it was giving him problems so we dropped the dairy and switched to almond milk - he had great lab reports from his last doctor visit - cholesterol and blood sugar all WAY down!

But for what it's worth, if someone wants to drink milk, I believe whole is best.

Old 08-15-2012, 08:50 AM

25,619 posts, read 36,707,101 times
There is only one key to weight loss, not including water retenion which is temporary, calories in vesus calories used.

Everything else are conditions that effect that process period.

Old 08-15-2012, 08:55 AM

50,378 posts, read 63,993,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by njkate View Post
Dr Oz is a quack imo that shot to the limelight thanks to Oprah another quack, very rich quack but quack none the less
He is no quack, but I think he has tarnished his reputation as a renowned heart surgeon by becoming yet another show biz expert. It would be hard for anyone to turn down the Oprah money.

Old 08-15-2012, 09:04 AM

3,399 posts, read 3,091,356 times
When my cardiologist first said I had to switch to skim milk because of heart and cholestrol issues, I thought I would gag at the taste. But once you get used to it the taste was good. It's whatever you get used to. Now I would gag on whole milk or even 2% or 1%. I don't worry about sugar as my other medical worries far outweigh sugar content. And I do listen to my own cardio doc and not a tv doctor.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink