Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-17-2015, 10:46 AM

11,936 posts, read 13,107,880 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robyn55 View Post
The Whole Foods is actually across the river - in downtown. Funny you mention Brickell. I was talking with our accountant the other day. He works in Coconut Grove. He had a meeting on Brickell the other day. And he said the traffic/parking there was simply awful. Like in a big city like New York. Also - it seems like one Publix only has a multi-story parking garage (don't know if it's free). Couldn't find pictures of the other Publix - but it is probably the same.

IOW - it looks like grocery shopping is kind of a PITA in this area.

In South Florida parking and land is at a premium so many Publix are located where you have to park in a parking garage.

It is common.

Some you park on the ground floor and the Publix is on the second floor and others you park on the third, fourth, fifth floors and the Publix is on the ground floor.

Downtown/Brickell Miami is twenty times worse than parking in Manhattan which I assume you mean when you say New York.

The Whole Foods is an easy walk from Brickell. The Publix is at Mary Brickell Village and is easy to walk to but there is a lot of construction which also means the restaurants that are around him have the same driving, parking, walking restrictions.

The situations for the restaurants are exactly the same downtown/Brickell. You park in a parking garage.

I'm sure the OP like most downtown residents walks and does not drive around the area.

You are missing the point that there is nothing suburban about the area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-17-2015, 11:49 AM

2,008 posts, read 1,248,178 times
Quote:
Chipotle is a fraud IMO - and I'm not the only person who thinks that:

The title of this article [Chipotle: The Long Defeat of Doing Nothing Well], which was inspired by a line from poet John Masefield, seems apt: Chipotle, the once-popular Mexican restaurant chain, is experiencing a well-deserved downward spiral.
The company found it could pass off a fast-food menu stacked with high-calorie, sodium-rich options as higher quality and more nutritious because the meals were made with locally grown, genetic engineering-free ingredients. And to set the tone for the kind of New Age-y image the company wanted, Chipotle adopted slogans like, “We source from farms rather than factories” and, “With every burrito we roll or bowl we fill, we’re working to cultivate a better world.”

Forbes Welcome

FWIW - I tried the place once - just to see what the fuss was about - and couldn't believe how gross the food was. A big pile of high calorie glop lacking any taste except for the taste of salt.

There are 2 "faster" food kind of places I like when I'm out during the day and need to grab a quick lunch. Piccadilly Cafeteria - and Golden Corral (a buffet). Both here are old style southern places (I live in NE Florida - which is more a part of the south than the rest of Florida). Both have lots of veggie options (salad options too). Sure - the veggies are often flavored with a little pork or similar - but they have less salt content than what I ate at Chipotle (scale doesn't lie in the morning). Places like this used to exist in Miami. For example - there was a Morrison's Cafeteria (Piccadilly bought Morrison's a number of years ago). But they seem to be gone now. I understand from comments made by other people elsewhere that places like this have less appealing offerings outside the south.

I wouldn't be hard on the OP in terms of where he lives. Miami isn't generic (far from it). But it does have really bad traffic. It takes me 15 minutes to get to my local Costco 10 miles away (door to door). And perhaps 30-35 max to get to my closest Whole Foods - 25 miles away. Those are pie in the sky travel times when it comes to Miami (and most of SE Florida). Traffic in Miami is as bad or worse than the traffic in Los Angeles. I lived in Miami for 20+ years - and one of the reasons I left was the traffic.

Note that when it comes to Cuban cuisine - ubiquitous in Miami - well to say it's a little weak when it comes to things like veggies is being charitable. Also - Cuban cooks tend to overcook proteins like chicken or especially fish - a (whole) lot. Not my cup of tea. Robyn
I stopped reading at "Golden Corral". Maybe the ones down in Fla. are better, but the one here is absolutely horrendous. Fatty, flavorless crap.

Old 12-17-2015, 12:00 PM

2,008 posts, read 1,248,178 times
Quote:
IOW - it looks like grocery shopping is kind of a PITA in this area. At least the quick "in and out" kind of grocery shopping I like to do. More "big city" than suburban. Also - although people who live in big cities can and do walk to do grocery shopping - the weather in Florida makes that difficult most of the year (your frozen foods would be defrosted after even a short walk in the sun). And that's assuming the OP lives within walking distance of a Publix location.
True - if you're using regular shopping bags instead of those (fairly inexpensive reusable) lined insulated bags

Old 12-17-2015, 12:25 PM

11,936 posts, read 13,107,880 times
Quote:

IOW - it looks like grocery shopping is kind of a PITA in this area. At least the quick "in and out" kind of grocery shopping I like to do. More "big city" than suburban. Also - although people who live in big cities can and do walk to do grocery shopping - the weather in Florida makes that difficult most of the year (your frozen foods would be defrosted after even a short walk in the sun). And that's assuming the OP lives within walking distance of a Publix location.

This isn't true at all. I live about a mile away from Fresh Market and walk to it all the time even in July and August and my frozen foods aren't defrosted.

The grocery store freezes food much at a much deeper temp than your fridge.

Old 12-17-2015, 01:57 PM

37,612 posts, read 45,996,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunion Powder View Post
Why are so many people still recommending boneless/skinless chicken breasts? Stop depriving your body of fats.
I love them. You can have my share of fat, okay?

Old 12-17-2015, 03:09 PM

14,617 posts, read 21,490,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RiotAct41 View Post
I stopped reading at "Golden Corral". Maybe the ones down in Fla. are better, but the one here is absolutely horrendous. Fatty, flavorless crap.
No - Florida isn't better. Those in the "south" are better IMO - and NE Florida is in the "south" (although food varies from one location to the other). Perhaps because there are lots of "southern style veggies". Which are admittedly not as virtuous as plain steamed veggies (many are flavored with some kind of pork). But they are neither fatty nor flavorless. Kind of like the traditional collards and hoppin' John I make on New Year's Day. I've noticed the same with some other chain restaurants. Like - when we travel in the SE - there are some really good Western Sizzlin' places (one in Pooler Georgia comes to mind). Again - mostly because of the veggie offerings. Once you get out of the SE - yuck.

FWIW - this is not my typical restaurant fare. I was just trying to come up with some ideas of faster food less expensive places. This is the kind of local restaurant I prefer (we don't have any really high end restaurants where I live):

Home | Moxie Kitchen + Cocktails

OTOH - although this is a typical virtuous farm to table kind of place - I'd bet I get more calories/sodium in a meal here than the occasional meal I have at Golden Corral (in all honesty - I go to Golden Corral a couple of times a year when I'm in the neighborhood/pressed for time because I love fried chicken in an old fashioned "meat and three" - and I can get it at Golden Corral - although I only eat 1 fried chicken leg and a bunch of veggies ). Robyn

Old 12-17-2015, 03:48 PM

14,617 posts, read 21,490,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueherons View Post
In South Florida parking and land is at a premium so many Publix are located where you have to park in a parking garage.

It is common.

Some you park on the ground floor and the Publix is on the second floor and others you park on the third, fourth, fifth floors and the Publix is on the ground floor.

Downtown/Brickell Miami is twenty times worse than parking in Manhattan which I assume you mean when you say New York.

The Whole Foods is an easy walk from Brickell. The Publix is at Mary Brickell Village and is easy to walk to but there is a lot of construction which also means the restaurants that are around him have the same driving, parking, walking restrictions.

The situations for the restaurants are exactly the same downtown/Brickell. You park in a parking garage.

I'm sure the OP like most downtown residents walks and does not drive around the area.

You are missing the point that there is nothing suburban about the area.
I'm pretty familiar with the area. It was the first place I lived when I first moved to Miami for good in 1973 and I still go there occasionally to visit my accountant (I stay at the Four Seasons). I also realize how much it has changed. Still - I was surprised to learn that the first place I ever lived - on 25th Road - a 6 story apartment building which went condo - is now being torn down to make way for a 40 story building.

The area is somewhat odd IMO. Because it has a lot of high rise buildings one after another. Without a lot of commercial places people shop at every day at ground level. A continuous strip of shopping like you find in older urban areas. So - although you're right that there's nothing suburban about the area - there is nothing particularly urban about it either. At least not in the old-fashioned traditional sense of urban. It more or less resembles similar "condo/office" canyons in some other newer cities. Like the strip along Wilshire Blvd. in Los Angeles west of Beverly Hills.

FWIW - the Whole Foods is a little more than 2 miles round trip from the Four Seasons (which is kind of in the middle of Brickell Avenue). A doable walk for many (although not all) people. But not one most people would want to do if they need to pick up a a couple of things at the grocery store for dinner that night. I don't know about anyone else here. But sometimes I decide to do something at the last minute. And find I have everything I need. Except this - or that - or the other thing. Wouldn't want to walk 2 miles RT to get it. Perhaps the OP is like me?

BTW - this discussion is interesting to me. Because I am a senior who currently lives in a very car dependent area (although most things I really need are very close by and easily accessible - even by golf cart). As I get closer to 80 than 60 - well I wonder what a good place to live might be. Keeping in mind that cooking at home/dining out/food is a very important part of my life. Looking at a place like Brickell Avenue (and most of Miami) - well it's clear to me that I can't go back to where I started again. When it comes to the OP - well it seems clear that - at the end of the day - he is frazzled by the traffic where he lives at the end of a long day at work. And wants a good easy solution to obtaining a healthy meal in a way that won't frazzle him more. I can understand where he's coming from. Robyn

Old 12-18-2015, 06:43 AM

14,078 posts, read 16,611,637 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OptimusPrime69 View Post
I'm so sick and tired of how difficult it is to just be able to eat nutritious food!
I work long hours and am single, so naturally I dont keep a lot of food in my place to cook nutritious meals. I like to grab my food on the go, if possible.

Immediately in my neighborhood are the following food options:

2 mcdonalds
Bahama Breeze
Chilis
On the Border
Barnes and Noble Cafe
Macaroni Grill
Chipotle
Panera Bread
Starbucks
Moe' Southwestern Grill
The corner Bakery
Dunkin Donuts
"Cadillac Grill"-- American fried Cuisine
La Carreta- Cuban chain restaurant
Denny's
iHop

That's it.

As you can see it's all garbage. Every. Single. Place. Around me is garbage IMO.

All I want to be able to do is get some fresh veggies, a good carb, and a protein to eat. That's it. I dont want over-salted/seasoned meats. I hate fried foods. I don't want sweets. I. Just. Want. healthy food on the go. I'd pay extra for it!!!! But there is none.

So, I drive to Whole foods and pick out a few good foods to eat. But the nearest whole foods is far away from me and in rush hour traffic.... I can't do it it'll take two hours.

Can someone tell me why there is so so much garbage available!! I am bombarded with garbage. It's nearly impossible to get like some broccoli, chicken, and quinoa or brown rice! Nowhere serves veggies. No where serves food that isn't covered in shi!t!!
I'm becoming so frustrated. It should not be this difficult to eat a balanced diet without having to fire up the stove and oven for an hour and cook something! I just dont wanna do that. I work looong days and I do not wanna come home and start cooking and cleaning.

No wonder nearly half this country is overweight or diabetic. It's too easy to get crap. Crap is everywhere. One has to actively seek out non-crap. it's unbelieveable to me! It's almost impossible to get a healthy, nutritious meal where I live. I'd have to drive 10 miles to the nearest food vendor that doesn't serve you shi!iiit.
I agree with you OP. I live alone and I hardly ever cook but I'm trying to make some changes for the new year. I'm thinking about signing up for some cooking classes, but in the meantime I bought some frozen fish filets that just need to be cooked in the oven. I think I can manage that. I prefer cooking things in the oven over cooking things on the stovetop. Stovetop cooking can be messy and results in dirty dishes whereas the oven does not.

Old 12-19-2015, 08:12 PM

912 posts, read 915,440 times
I feel your pain. I have been waiting for a healthy convenience food chain my entire adult life.

Old 12-19-2015, 10:07 PM

934 posts, read 1,128,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OptimusPrime69 View Post
I'm so sick and tired of how difficult it is to just be able to eat nutritious food!
I work long hours and am single, so naturally I dont keep a lot of food in my place to cook nutritious meals. I like to grab my food on the go, if possible.

Immediately in my neighborhood are the following food options:

2 mcdonalds
Bahama Breeze
Chilis
On the Border
Barnes and Noble Cafe
Macaroni Grill
Chipotle
Panera Bread
Starbucks
Moe' Southwestern Grill
The corner Bakery
Dunkin Donuts
"Cadillac Grill"-- American fried Cuisine
La Carreta- Cuban chain restaurant
Denny's
iHop

That's it.

As you can see it's all garbage. Every. Single. Place. Around me is garbage IMO.

All I want to be able to do is get some fresh veggies, a good carb, and a protein to eat. That's it. I dont want over-salted/seasoned meats. I hate fried foods. I don't want sweets. I. Just. Want. healthy food on the go. I'd pay extra for it!!!! But there is none.

So, I drive to Whole foods and pick out a few good foods to eat. But the nearest whole foods is far away from me and in rush hour traffic.... I can't do it it'll take two hours.

Can someone tell me why there is so so much garbage available!! I am bombarded with garbage. It's nearly impossible to get like some broccoli, chicken, and quinoa or brown rice! Nowhere serves veggies. No where serves food that isn't covered in shi!t!!
I'm becoming so frustrated. It should not be this difficult to eat a balanced diet without having to fire up the stove and oven for an hour and cook something! I just dont wanna do that. I work looong days and I do not wanna come home and start cooking and cleaning.

No wonder nearly half this country is overweight or diabetic. It's too easy to get crap. Crap is everywhere. One has to actively seek out non-crap. it's unbelieveable to me! It's almost impossible to get a healthy, nutritious meal where I live. I'd have to drive 10 miles to the nearest food vendor that doesn't serve you shi!iiit.

Well, it's capitalism, isn't it? I mean how many places would stay in business serving brown rice and quinoa? That's a bit of a niche market. Most people LIKE the places you mention above. I have issues with chains because most have food that come out of a bag. And it tastes bad as you say. But why do you expect otherwise? Surely, where you live there must be something that serves something along the lines of what you like. But I wouldn't expect multiple locations. Do you? Who will dine at these places and keep them in business? If quinoa and brown rice were the expectation for myself, I can't think of any but a few places that will serve them in my town. I'd say weekend cooking or finding a few favorite spots might work best. Or find the genuine ethnic restaurants that serve from scratch food like real Mexican, or real Asian places. Good luck! I (kind of ) feel your pain.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink