Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-20-2015, 06:35 PM

17,077 posts, read 13,378,980 times

Advertisements

The only difficulty associated with eating decent, quality food for most people is the time associated with procuring the ingredients and preparing them at home. This is not something to be taken lightly. The average '30s housewife spent 2-1/2 hours a day preparing meals for her family. Today, the primary cook spends about half an hour. That's just not much time to create tasty, varied, nutritionally-sound meals from scratch.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-20-2015, 10:31 PM

14,375 posts, read 18,383,130 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UserName14289 View Post
I feel your pain. I have been waiting for a healthy convenience food chain my entire adult life.
SmashBurger isn't too bad in many ways, if you have one around you. They have black bean burgers, which I adore, and you can get sweet potato fries. My favorite fast-food place!

But I would love to go to a healthy chain - grilled chicken breast, stir-fried veggies, black bean burgers, unique salads, steamed brown rice, oven-baked fries, healthy soups, etc. I have so many ideas for what would be tasty. I'd cheerfully pay more for food like that.

Old 12-21-2015, 09:56 AM

32,663 posts, read 48,079,532 times
Quote:
.....I have been waiting for a healthy convenience food chain my entire adult life.....
The reason that they don't exist is that there are not enough members of the restaurant using public that want them. Of the remaining people that do want them, there aren't enough customers who want to pay the higher price.

Good food isn't all that cheap and a restaurant has to keep the food costs below 1/3 of their expense budget or they will lose money. Stir fry and fresh vegetables take labor and labor is expensive. It's not possible to serve a steamed real 8 ounce chicken breast and steamed broccoli for the same price as 2 ounces of ground beef rectum and one deep fried potato. The public will opt for the $1 menu burger instead of the $12 steamed chicken breast with the $4 broccoli. They would rather pay $1 for a soda than $6 for a real fruit and yogurt smoothy.

Even the little smoothy places come and go. They don't stay in business because not enough customers want to pay the price for blendered fruit.

There aren't enough of you all in the same location ready to pay higher prices for healthier food. If there was strong customer demand, the healthy fast food places would exist. There are thousands of people out there looking for the next big business craze. If bulk fast food health food could be done, they would be doing it.

Old 12-21-2015, 11:11 AM

24,559 posts, read 18,281,854 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brynach View Post
I've never been to a Panera. But they look good. What's the problem with it?
The problem with Panera is you go in planning to order a healthy salad and some soup and you're barraged with dozens of delicious junk carb alternatives. If you stick with the soup & salad, it's quite good and very healthy. If you cave in and get the scone or the muffin or the pecan roll, you might as well have eaten off the dollar menu at McDonalds.

Old 12-21-2015, 12:29 PM

16,394 posts, read 30,296,637 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
The problem with Panera is you go in planning to order a healthy salad and some soup and you're barraged with dozens of delicious junk carb alternatives. If you stick with the soup & salad, it's quite good and very healthy. If you cave in and get the scone or the muffin or the pecan roll, you might as well have eaten off the dollar menu at McDonalds.

It is YOUR choice. If you cannot walk into a Panera and avoid a Danish pastry, that is more of a character issue than anything else.

Using your logic, you would not be able to work into a supermarket as they sell colas and snack foods.

Old 12-23-2015, 07:46 PM

5,390 posts, read 9,699,775 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
Panera just plain sucks.
Their sandwiches are boring and flavorless. ... I used to get the turkey, bacon, avacado sandwich. It comes out with a miniscule piece of avocado, one slice of turkey, one piece of ice berl lettuce, and a pale red tomato. and mayonaise. . . It's gross.

Old 12-24-2015, 06:58 AM

19,137 posts, read 25,345,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlygal View Post
You are making excuses. Being single and working long hours has nothing to do with keeping healthy food in your house or cooking healthy meals.
+1

During my working years, the fact that I was single and that I worked long hours did not deter me from maintaining a healthy diet. My routine was to do my major weekly food shopping on Sunday mornings, at both Whole Foods and Wegman's. Then, I used the remainder of the day to prepare a large casserole, or a tray of chicken, or a huge pot of home-made soup that would last me for the entire week.

In order to not get tired of my weekly dish, I would alternate that dish on a couple of nights with a large salad.

Despite having to do all of the household-related chores myself, having a full work schedule, and spending time with both my house-bound father and my mother who resided in a nursing home, each week I managed to obtain healthy ingredients and to prepare healthy dinners for myself.

If I was able to do it, so can the OP.

Old 12-24-2015, 07:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlawrence01 View Post
It is YOUR choice. If you cannot walk into a Panera and avoid a Danish pastry, that is more of a character issue than anything else.

Using your logic, you would not be able to work into a supermarket as they sell colas and snack foods.
Exactly!
Maintaining a healthy diet is all about making mature choices, and about having will-power.
If somebody lacks one or both of those traits, maintaining a healthy diet will be only one of the problems that this person faces over the course of his/her life.

Old 12-24-2015, 07:07 AM

24,597 posts, read 10,909,474 times
To me it sounds like OP wants to have his cake and eat it. Complain and do nothing about it.

Old 12-24-2015, 07:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robyn55 View Post
the weather in Florida makes that difficult most of the year (your frozen foods would be defrosted after even a short walk in the sun).

When I am going grocery shopping, I place one of my coolers in the car, along with a couple of ice packs.

If I am getting only a few items, I use a soft-sided cooler with a shoulder strap, while an expedition for a lot of items results in the placement of my big cooler chest on the back seat. This way, even if I make a few stops on the way home, nothing is defrosted.

How hard is it to simply plan ahead by using an appropriately-sized cooler chest and some ice packs?

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink