Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-25-2015, 07:26 AM

19,969 posts, read 30,213,440 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robyn55 View Post
I've lived in the US for all of my 68 years. And traveled to Europe perhaps 25 times (11 countries including Italy). Over the course of 4 decades. Most recently this year. I think the picture you're painting is one that might have had some truth to it 20-30+ years ago. And only when comparing certain countries to the US (the UK food scene certainly wasn't anything to write home about in the 70's).

But things have changed over the years. In many ways. The food scene is much richer in the US than it was back then. And - although various countries in Europe have certainly improved as well in some ways - they have become more like the US in others. With more US style supermarkets selling more processed and convenience foods. Even the famous French baguette is under siege:

France's Famously Crusty Baguette Goes Soft - WSJ

And it's not like US style fast food is exactly unknown in Europe:

How McDonald's Conquered France - Business Insider

If anything - it seems that McDonald's is even more popular in parts of Europe than it is in the US:

How McDonald's in Europe are beating their American counterparts - CSMonitor.com

After all - it's not like the most people in Europe are living in the 1950's. Many are as busy and pressed for time as the original poster in this thread.

Moreover - to the extent that this is happening in Italy - it's not only because people are busy - prosperous and successful for the most part (which isn't a bad thing). It's because many people are poor and parts of the country are in decline:

The negative impacts of the crisis are already wreaking havoc on small food economies. I saw this first hand last year when visiting my ancestral homeland. In Basilicata, many villages have supermarkets but do not have a single bakery, produce stall or butcher. Depleted populations simply cannot support these small businesses, so they shutter and corporate food production and distribution move in and take over. I think it’s officially time to set aside–and stop perpetuating!–the antiquated view of Italy as an idyllic nucleus of virtuous food production and consumption.

Italy’s Changing Food Habits | Parla Food

And people are poor because the economy is bad (which is a bad thing):

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...ing-time-bomb/

Finally - what is "real" "authentic" Italian food? Keeping in mind that what is "real" and "authentic" in one part of Italy is probably quite different than what is "real" and "authentic" in another part. Also - when I make something like bucatini all' Amatriciana - is it any less "Italian" because I buy my guanciale from an excellent US manufacturer. Keeping in mind that the US - like some other countries - restricts the importation of certain pork products. Robyn

great post!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-26-2015, 06:56 AM

50,366 posts, read 63,948,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brynach View Post
I've never been to a Panera. But they look good. What's the problem with it?
Panera is one of the lesser offenders on OPs list. You can get a nice salad or sandwich there, but its is more lunch food than dinner food. The soups are the typical gelatinous mass of not-sure-what.

Old 12-26-2015, 07:02 AM

50,366 posts, read 63,948,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saibot View Post
Well, maybe you live in a very different area from me. I have no trouble buying grass-fed beef and organic milk and eggs, as well as organic fruits and vegetables, at any one of a number of local grocery stores. I can also buy those things (except the milk) year-round, at the farmer's market.

Pretty sure packaged and processed foods are available in European countries just as they are in the US. You don't have to buy those things, unless you shop exclusively at convenience stores.

If what we're talking about is some people's lack of access to real supermarkets, that is a different conversation. Not the same as a blanket statement, "USA food is crap."
I agree 100%. We have an abundance of good quality foods here.

Another poster talked about how chains can only last if the public buys the products, which reminded me of two of my favorite chains; Bruegger's Bagels and Baja Fresh. They had really good fresh foods, but they did not last.

Old 12-26-2015, 08:04 AM

88,562 posts, read 84,755,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
Panera is one of the lesser offenders on OPs list. You can get a nice salad or sandwich there, but its is more lunch food than dinner food. The soups are the typical gelatinous mass of not-sure-what.
Yes, I thought the same. The OP specifically mentioned the s/he likes quinoa, and Panera is the only fast-food place on the list that offers quinoa, so I wonder what's wrong with their quinoa that he won't eat it there. I haven't tried it.

I do like the Greek salad with Panera tomato soup.

Old 12-26-2015, 08:11 AM

88,562 posts, read 84,755,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hellomoon View Post
Don't want to offend Americans and America but USA food is crap. You buy ANYTHING in the grocery and it stays the same consistency and color for months!!!!!!!!!!! Even if it says organic its not! One thing Europe has that is way better than America is we have the best quality of food, no matter if you are rich or poor!
Well, I think it's been established many times that using supermarket produce as some kind of judgment of American food is just ignorant. Supermarkets sell produce that is grown for appearance and shipping hardiness. People who want better quality certainly do not actually buy their fruits and vegetables from supermarkets but from local sources, provided that they live in an area where it is available and make an effort to buy what is in season. Or pay a few cents more and get better-quality, out-of-season produce from specialty shops that provide it.

I live in New Jersey, a place famous for producing superior tomatoes. The growing season is short, however, so if I go now in December to a supermarket and buy the pale, gassed baseballs shipped in from Florida and California, I have no business complaining that they have no taste. However, I might be able to get decent lettuces from a bit further south if I go to the specialty produce market and pay an extra dollar or two.

Old 12-26-2015, 08:24 AM

5,407 posts, read 3,600,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UserName14289 View Post
I feel your pain. I have been waiting for a healthy convenience food chain my entire adult life.
there is no such thing as "healthy" CONVENIENCE food! if you want good food you need to cook it yourself from good fresh, local if possible, ingredients. its not hard and its not rocket science.

Old 12-26-2015, 08:40 AM

19,969 posts, read 30,213,440 times
I sell grass fed beef within 20 miles from my stores, in fact, you can come to the farm and pick one out ...

as with a pig or chicken

I sell organic foods....
and I also sell conventional foods,,,which always seem to be dumped on

I sell produce from maine farms,,,,

I sell seafood from maine fisherman and from maine waters

I sell meats and seafood to the better restaurants in the area, I grew up as a fishermans /lobstermans son, I know my seafood
ive been a butcher for decades, I know what good/great meat is

I will offer my fresh seafoods, meats, and garden produce(in season) against any in the world,,,

it would be very easy for me to be an organic food snob
but, I come from humble beginnings, most mainers buy on price
most organic foods are too expensive for most mainers...because like whole foods most stores mark it up by 50% margins

but I also don't believe the half the crap I hear about conventional foods,,,the meats and produce

I despise food snobs,,, they have the luxury of being one, some people have to hunt for their foods

I had my choice of where/what to have for a holiday meal, I could have got a Hereford/limousine local beef cattle rib eye ,, and its organic, or I could have my pic of many well marbled "choice" conventional beef..

I chose wisely, I chose the choice grade rib from one of the big packing plants...and it was one of the best I have ever had

Old 12-26-2015, 09:15 AM

14,302 posts, read 11,692,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigpaul View Post
there is no such thing as "healthy" CONVENIENCE food! if you want good food you need to cook it yourself from good fresh, local if possible, ingredients. its not hard and its not rocket science.
Yes, exactly. You can get healthy and fairly cheap food if you cook it yourself, but it isn't fast (or effortless).

You can get healthy food quickly, but it isn't cheap.

And you can get cheap fast food that is crap.

Those are pretty much the three choices.

Cooking from fresh ingredients is not hard, and there are some good ideas in this thread, but they all take effort--more effort than many people want to give after a long day at work. 30 minutes of cooking at night might be fun and relaxing to some people, but the exact opposite to others. That doesn't make them lazy or bad people, just busy and tired people who don't love cooking.

I'm sorry if I consider some of the options that have been suggested for people who don't have much time or energy to cook to be less than ideal. Cooking up a big pot of "something" on the weekend and living on it all week long would be unpleasant to me. After the third day of leftover stew, I'd be ready to pour the rest down the sink.

And how many people suggested basically living on grilled chicken breast, rice, and steamed vegetables. I like all of those things all right, but as a daily diet? Incredibly boring and not exceptionally nutritious anyway.

OP seems to be long gone, but given the fact the money does not seem to be not much of a consideration, hiring a part-time cook or a service in which he could order meals to specifications is probably the best long-term solution.

Old 12-26-2015, 09:48 AM

17,077 posts, read 13,364,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saibot View Post
Yes, exactly. You can get healthy and fairly cheap food if you cook it yourself, but it isn't fast (or effortless).

You can get healthy food quickly, but it isn't cheap.

And you can get cheap fast food that is crap.

Those are pretty much the three choices.

Cooking from fresh ingredients is not hard, and there are some good ideas in this thread, but they all take effort--more effort than many people want to give after a long day at work. 30 minutes of cooking at night might be fun and relaxing to some people, but the exact opposite to others. That doesn't make them lazy or bad people, just busy and tired people who don't love cooking.

I'm sorry if I consider some of the options that have been suggested for people who don't have much time or energy to cook to be less than ideal. Cooking up a big pot of "something" on the weekend and living on it all week long would be unpleasant to me. After the third day of leftover stew, I'd be ready to pour the rest down the sink.

And how many people suggested basically living on grilled chicken breast, rice, and steamed vegetables. I like all of those things all right, but as a daily diet? Incredibly boring and not exceptionally nutritious anyway.

OP seems to be long gone, but given the fact the money does not seem to be not much of a consideration, hiring a part-time cook or a service in which he could order meals to specifications is probably the best long-term solution.
When I am exhausted and not in the mood for putting in a lot of effort to make a meal for myself, I tend toward salads, a piece of whole fruit, an avocado filled with whole grains & dried fruit/nuts and drizzled with vinaigrette, or leftover rice and beans topped with steamed vegetables and a great salsa. That kind of stuff. Lots of ingredients are very convenient and take little time to throw together. It's a misnomer that meals must take an hour of preparation to be satisfying.

Old 12-26-2015, 10:24 AM

14,302 posts, read 11,692,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by randomparent View Post
When I am exhausted and not in the mood for putting in a lot of effort to make a meal for myself, I tend toward salads, a piece of whole fruit, an avocado filled with whole grains & dried fruit/nuts and drizzled with vinaigrette, or leftover rice and beans topped with steamed vegetables and a great salsa. That kind of stuff. Lots of ingredients are very convenient and take little time to throw together. It's a misnomer that meals must take an hour of preparation to be satisfying.
Forgive me, but what satisfies you may not satisfy everyone. Plenty of people, for example men like my husband who spend 8-10 hours every day on their feet, would not find a salad, a piece of fruit, or a stuffed avocado to be a satisfying meal. The rice and beans sound okay but they do have to be precooked, steamed vegetables are last-minute, and who made that great salsa?

I think it's a misconception (not a misnomer) that anyone can whip up a healthy meal that is satisfying to them in a few minutes, and do that day after day without sacrificing taste, nutrition, and variety.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink