Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-05-2008, 02:29 PM

15,144 posts, read 27,791,000 times

Advertisements

If I don't feel like cooking, I make tuna casserole w/macaroni, some sour cream, a can of cream of chicken soup (don't like mushrooms, tuna of course, frozen peas) - I also have frozen packages of cooked ground burger that are easy to use for: tacos, beef stroganoff (I make it w/burger), spaghetti, etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2008, 02:30 PM

27,345 posts, read 27,400,159 times
For someone like me, its pretty easy. Hungry Man, Top Ramen or Hot Pockets work great when something changes at the last minute!

Old 03-05-2008, 02:50 PM

28,227 posts, read 21,851,350 times
When I make a pot roast there's always lots of gravy left so I put it in those new zip lock containers (with screwon lid) freeze and use it for hot beef sandwiches (from deli) and fries. Always have homemade soup frozen.

Cheese omelets/homefries-another easy quick one.

Old 03-05-2008, 03:02 PM

1,969 posts, read 5,958,333 times
Kraft mac n cheese - my fav

Old 03-05-2008, 03:57 PM
b75

950 posts, read 3,463,605 times
I usually cook more of something up & freeze portion sizes in the freezer. For example the Ziplock snack bags generally fit a portion size of pasta (brown rice pasta), brown rice, beans, steamed vegetables, chicken etc. in there..So then when you are in a rush just grab some bags of food out & nuke it on a lower power & viola a healthier dinner made fast.

Last edited by b75; 03-05-2008 at 03:57 PM.. Reason: typo

Old 03-05-2008, 04:55 PM

3,927 posts, read 8,668,858 times
You guys are the best. Today was one of those days, which prompted me to ask the question. DH was tired of the same ole same ole.

So, I got great ideas from you guys. I am baking a chicken and rice casserole, having a side salad and fruit cocktail. Brownies complete the meal.

This thread will keep my dh happy for many nights to come. Thank you all and keep the ideas coming.

Old 03-05-2008, 05:22 PM

2,919 posts, read 6,829,959 times
I always try to keep Hot Links (or Summer Sausage/Kielbasa) and boneless skinless chicken breasts in the freezer.

In the pantry, Zatarains Jambalaya mix, Minute rice, and a couple of bottles of World Harbors sauces. (Hubby likes Sweet and Sour or Honey Dijon)

Combine the Sausage with the Zatarains, add your favorite side and you have a quick 30 min supper.

Chop up the chicken (I do it frozen) sauteé in a little oil until done and lightly browned, pour in the sauce and simmer for 15 min. while the Minute rice is soaking.

Serve chicken over rice, and add your side. Another 30 min. supper.

Old 03-05-2008, 05:31 PM

12,229 posts, read 21,508,945 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyRobyn View Post
I always try to keep Hot Links (or Summer Sausage/Kielbasa) and boneless skinless chicken breasts in the freezer.

In the pantry, Zatarains Jambalaya mix, Minute rice, and a couple of bottles of World Harbors sauces. (Hubby likes Sweet and Sour or Honey Dijon)

Combine the Sausage with the Zatarains, add your favorite side and you have a quick 30 min supper.

Chop up the chicken (I do it frozen) sauteé in a little oil until done and lightly browned, pour in the sauce and simmer for 15 min. while the Minute rice is soaking.

Serve chicken over rice, and add your side. Another 30 min. supper.
This sounds good. I am addicted to another rice mix -- Near East Toasted Almond Rice Pilaf. I've also learned to make a reasonable facsimile (much cheaper than a $2.50 box) but the Near East is nice on one of those lazy nights.

Old 03-05-2008, 07:03 PM

8,893 posts, read 4,544,014 times
My usual standby's are:

Any kind of breakfast i.e., bacon and eggs, pancakes, omelettes
Grilled cheese and soup
A bowl of cereal
Egg noodles with sauteed onions and peppers

I'm sure there is more, can't think of them at the moment..

Old 03-05-2008, 09:03 PM

14,862 posts, read 42,882,290 times
I'll have to say too that our quick meals or ones for just the girls and I are breakfast foods for dinner. It DOES taste good for dinner.

Also like these:

Grilled Sourdough Turkey & Swiss Sandwiches - super easy to make and very hearty. I buy the Sourdough bread in the bakery and then mayo (dh also has to have mustard on his), baby swiss, deli turkey, pickle slices and sometimes bacon (microwave bacon really is good and only has 4 to a pack which is PERFECT). I have one of those small cast iron gridles that I cook them on.

Turkey & Cheese Sandwiches - and these you do have to plan ahead by assembling earlier in the day but they are warm and sooooo good. You need the sub sandwich buns, turkey & swiss. Assemble w/ just the turkey and swiss and cut sandwiches in half and put them in a baking pan. Melt a stick of butter in a bowl then add a tablespoon of mustard and a table spoon of Worcestshire Sauce and stir then pour over and around sandwiches. Cover with foil and refrigerate for several hours. Heat oven to 400 and then bake for 30 minutes w/ the foil on then remove for the last 10-15 minutes. YUMMY!!!!!

SALADS!!! This is a great one for my family. I keep some of the packages of the grilled chicken strips handy that you find in the store by the meat counter/lunch meat section. Either get some of the bagged lettuce/salads (I get two different types of salad in a bag and combine them sometimes) or do your own greens. Then you can add any variety of things on top: sliced boiled eggs, crumbled bacon, dried fruits, nuts, crumbled cheeses or shredded cheese, fresh sliced strawberries, fresh rasberries, left over meat sliced thinly from dinner the night before, etc.

Soups - for sure here especially when it is cold.

My family LOVES homemade chicken noodle soup and it is SOOO easy to make. I always keep a bag of the frozen boneless/skinless chicken breasts on hand. It takes no time to boil those till their done then you can cut them up and add them back to the stock. Add some more chicken broth from a can (1-2 cans), season salt, celery salt. The noodles I use are egg noodles in the frozen food section.

I even tried to make Italian Wedding Soup and they LOVED IT!!! It was good if I should say so myself. I used the Italian frozen meatballs and fixed some chicken just as above w/ the chicken broth and cut it up. Added the meatballs and some Italian Seasonings and let it cook then added some angel hair pasta to finish it off. YUMMY!!! They wanted it the next night AGAIN!!! Which was fine w/ me as we had leftover.

Quick Tacos or burritos depending on how they assemble theirs - brown some ground meat and add some taco seasoning. Some refried beans, shredded cheese, salsa, lettuce, etc. Quick, light, filling and easy and STILL a good warm meal.

Another plan ahead but easy to have ready when you get home or know your going to be eating on the run. BBQ Pork Sandwiches. I buy the Pork Tenderloin and put it in the crockpot in the morning w/ a jar of BBQ sauce. When it is done hours later it shreds apart very easily. Add some sides and your ready to eat.

Don't you get tired of trying to figure out what to cook all the time? I know I do.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink