Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-18-2017, 05:29 AM

129 posts, read 110,242 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nema98 View Post
Yes diet sodas suck. I especially hate hose diet cokes that came in gold cans, don't see them around any longer. If I don't want to drink soda, I'll drink water or something else. Soda is only good for its taste, so what's the point of drinking diet sodas? I can understand for someone who wants to cut back on sugar and lose weight, but really it's all acidic drink anyways do they are really not healthy at all.
This! I imagine it must taste different to them, kind of like some people have a genetic tendency to like cilantro whereas other people say it tastes like soap. I would think the "diet" ingredients must taste worse to me for some reason. But then again, beer tastes like crushed-up aspirin to me, so I may just be an aberration... But I also don't see the diet soda addiction as making sense. I have a lot of friends who are trying to kick that habit, and I'm utterly baffled as to what caused said addiction in the first place. Just drink water!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2017, 06:09 AM

24,559 posts, read 18,248,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post
I never liked - raw clams on the half shell or raw oysters - and I still do not like them.
For me, it's not a like vs dislike thing. It's food safety. I know a number of people (who aren't IV drug users) who contracted hepatitis from eating raw shellfish. It's also a high parasite risk. Sushi is fine because the fish is flash-frozen to kill the parasites. The only unfrozen raw fish the FDA allows is tuna since it's very low parasite risk.

Here is my preferred way to eat littlenecks. Shrimp/linguica/littleneck Mozambique. A Portuguese version of paella using Goya Sazon Con Azafran and beer. I also toss 'em on the gas grill until they open and eat them with a bit of cocktail sauce.

I got food poisoning from smoked oysters on a New Zealand trip. I haven't been able to eat oysters since. I'm the same way with gin after getting violently ill on it as a teen.

Old 04-18-2017, 06:24 AM

24,559 posts, read 18,248,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by QUEMQUAHT View Post
Canned asparagus made me immediately regurgitate as a child. Today, I can only eat asparagus young shoots if they are fresh cut and steamed for a few minutes so it doesn't get mushy or slimey.
This aligns with my "I don't like poor food quality" thing. There is no way in the world I'm going to eat canned asparagus. I'll happily eat wild asparagus shoots I've picked myself raw. I eat fresh asparagus all the time. I like them less if they're grocery store asparagus that have been sitting in my fridge for a week+ where they get woody but I'll still steam or grill the tips.

Someone touched on coconut. I don't care for the bagged shredded coconut used for baking. I love fresh coconuts. The meat. Coconut milk. It's the same food quality thing. Similarly, I'm not wild about Almond Joy and Mounds chocolate bars. Low quality chocolate. Low quality coconut. Artisanal chocolate made with fresh coconut? Chocolate fondue with bits of fresh coconut meat on the skewer? That's great.

Old 04-18-2017, 08:17 AM

19,969 posts, read 30,213,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy4Chickens View Post
Raw tomatoes have make me gag since I was a child. I accidentally picked one and popped it into my mouth thinking it was a strawberry, I was very wrong.

Oddly enough cooked tomatoes are fine, tomato sauce/paste/ etc. I have also grown to love most salsas, if it has too much raw tomato I won't eat it, but a lot of salsas are fine and I will eat it with gusto.

I also have a bad association with scalloped potatoes, they make me ill.

I do not like peas, but I do choke them down for the sake of showing the kids that I am eating my veggies, but once the kids move out I am done with peas forever!
I've been pea-free for 36 years

peas are just plain evil,,,food of the demons..

id rather get a root canal than try to eat the little round green evil spheres

I once had a night-mare ,,,,,, invasion of the giant pea .... and it exploded....killing everyone

Old 04-18-2017, 01:17 PM

7,057 posts, read 4,818,181 times
I'd have to say beef or calf liver. Any liver except chicken, I do like that. I love liverwurst, though, Braunschweiger.

I honestly can't think of a food I don't like, which can be a problem!

I dislike undercooked pork, undercooked chicken, undercooked fish unless it's raw or meant mto be raw. When I say undercooked, I mean the internal temp on the lower side--just don't like the texture, no matter that it's "safe to eat".

Don't like overcooked beef.

I will not eat any type of insect, don't care if they taste like nuts or chips or whatever. Can't say I dislike them, we will never know because I won't unless starvation forces me.

Old 04-18-2017, 01:26 PM

4,362 posts, read 6,531,023 times
Hold the Mayo... and NO Diet Sodas what so ever.

That is all...

Old 04-18-2017, 02:47 PM

13,262 posts, read 8,022,582 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
Here's another one: peanut butter cookies.

We made them at someone's house for our cooking badge back when I was a girl scout. The smell, the taste, were gag worthy.

I finally got up the nerve to try them again and they are still just as horrible. Anything that has peanut butter, actually. Peanut butter in ice cream? Peanut butter candy? gag. But pb&j sandwiches are ok.

I'm the same way kind of. I like peanut butter and jelly sandwiches once in awhile, and I like Reeses Peanutbutter cups...but that's it.

And when I was pregnant, the smell of peanut butter was gag inducing.

Old 04-18-2017, 02:50 PM

9,150 posts, read 10,891,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
This aligns with my "I don't like poor food quality" thing. There is no way in the world I'm going to eat canned asparagus.
"Canned asparagus." I can't imagine it. I mean, could there be an easier-to-cook vegetable? Canned asparagus has no reason to live.

Old 04-18-2017, 02:50 PM

13,262 posts, read 8,022,582 times
And I will add "lime flavored stuff".

I like limes USED in stuff...but I'm talking about artificially flavored lime stuff. Like lime flavored sno-cones, or lime soda. They always taste like the smell of comet to me.

Old 04-18-2017, 02:52 PM

9,150 posts, read 10,891,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sassybluesy View Post
And I will add "lime flavored stuff".

I like limes USED in stuff...but I'm talking about artificially flavored lime stuff. Like lime flavored sno-cones, or lime soda. They always taste like the smell of comet to me.
Same here. Fake lemon and lime smell like something used to clean the floor in less delightful establishments.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink