Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-16-2017, 12:49 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,797,202 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lubby View Post
I am hosting this year. My menu will be:

Spiral sliced ham (picked up at Costco for $1.99 a pound today)

Chicken cordon bleu

Rice Pilaf

Corn bread pudding

Cauliflower Au gratin

Fresh green beans with lemon and garlic.

Biscuits or rolls with butter

Tossed salad.

I am sure other guests will bring food. I'll let my niece handle dessert since she went to culinary school for that.
just getting ready to leave for granddauthers house. I think she is doing a ham. I am taking cheese and sausages for appetizers. One of the cheeses is new at Sam's. It is a brei/ blue cheese and addictive to say the least.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2017, 08:10 PM

26,143 posts, read 19,856,597 times
Im not making anything special..... Ill just have some mac and cheese in a bit

Old 04-16-2017, 09:56 PM

5,104 posts, read 4,839,413 times
I'm surprised no one mentioned Kielbasa. Even the non Polish people around here are eating it on Easter. Although usually along side something else like spiral ham.

Some of the local meat companies here make special "Easter kielbasa" blends every year.

Old 04-17-2017, 02:53 PM

20,938 posts, read 28,449,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
just getting ready to leave for granddauthers house. I think she is doing a ham. I am taking cheese and sausages for appetizers. One of the cheeses is new at Sam's. It is a brei/ blue cheese and addictive to say the least.
I know my menu looked big and there were nine of us but I made extra so we can have leftovers.

Old 04-17-2017, 02:56 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,606,010 times
We ended up having:

Ham
Cheesy corn
Pit beans
Homemade rolls
Deviled eggs
Potato salad
Strawberry shortcake
Key lime pie

Old 04-17-2017, 03:37 PM

2,861 posts, read 3,853,348 times
I just came across this thread...for us and many people we know, our meal (and many to follow...) come from traditional Eastern European (religious based) customs that change very little over the years. There are many descriptions of this on the Internet, here is one: (other than Ukrainian, Russian, Slovak as the article is titled many other ethnicities including Rusyn and Polish ... and probably many others follow similar customs...including assembling an Easter basket withe the feast items, carried to church to be blessed after services). Since many in this thread seem to not follow similar customs, some folks might find this interesting:

This year, as in every year I can recall, we had ham, beet/horseradish combo, "p a s ka" bread, homemade Hrudka (an egg cheese made with milk), lots of kielbasi, hard boiled eggs (dyed red/brown using onion skins), butter, and more. Local and ethnic variations and extensions of more items tend to come in around these basic building blocks. Lots of leftovers often remain to be eaten during the week, typically on sandwiches combining the meats and cheese on the special bread.

Many of these people would have fasted from meat (and some dairy too) for all of the Lenten weeks preceding Easter (Pascha) and thus the celebration is all the richer.

Traditional Eastern European Easter Basket for Blessing

Last edited by jimazee; 04-17-2017 at 04:00 PM..

Old 04-18-2017, 05:01 PM

4,676 posts, read 9,998,603 times
Well, this is what I made:

Roasted Cornish Game hens with herbes de provence and elephant garlic

Scalloped potatoes

Broccoli with cheddar sauce

Rolls and butter.

Dessert was Eton Mess!

Old 03-18-2018, 09:09 AM

20,938 posts, read 28,449,340 times
Default Easter dinner 2018

For those that celebrate Easter Sunday what's on the menu?

I decided not to go with my usual chicken cordon bleu, spiral ham dinner. Getting tired of both. I making an Italian feast.

Baked Ziti
Homemade meat sauce with sausage and meatballs cooked in the sauce
Garlic bread
Tossed salad with homemade vinaigrette dressing
Fresh green beans with garlic and oil.
Mini cannoli cups (uses Pillsbury pie crust) if I feel like it.
whatever dessert my In laws bring.

This year it's only 6 of us. it's usually 11 but one niece has to work (she's pastry chef), the other niece lives in buffalo and isn't coming down and my other BIL and SIL are going to her family's for dinner.

Old 03-18-2018, 09:23 AM

7,150 posts, read 4,909,846 times
I'm making a Spanish paella...mixto. It will have chorizo, chicken, shrimp and mussels.

Old 03-18-2018, 09:43 AM

16,422 posts, read 12,525,969 times
It's just me, so no need to do anything special. But I recently found that my local Whole Foods sells some fresh gluten free hawaiian rolls, so I'm looking forward to enjoying them with a small pack of Honeybaked Ham and a nice salad.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink