Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-24-2018, 08:25 PM

8 posts, read 8,740 times

Advertisements

We are doing a garlic roasted boneless leg of lamb we got from costco. Roast potatoes, carrots and asparagus, rolls and lemon chess pie for dessert.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2018, 04:49 PM

4,936 posts, read 3,309,602 times
Roast lamb with rosemary.
Glace carrots.
Roasted potatoes.
Ice cream.

Old 04-01-2018, 08:04 PM

1,250 posts, read 1,377,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Wait wait wait, whoa. How do you make THAT? You can't just say that casually and then move on.

Hahaha. Sorry I got busy and just came back today.

We had the meal and the cheese pit was very delicious. The recipe came from my late sweet mother-in-law and it goes great with ham. Here it is:

Take 10 slices of nice good WHITE bread -- I use Sara Lee Artesano and butter one side each with REAL butter.

Cut the bread into cubes. Layer one half of the cubes in a BUTTERED pyrex dish. Cover the bread with 2 cups of GOOD sharp cheddar cheese. Repeat the process with cheese on top. Don't scrimp on the cheese because it is the highlight of the dish.

Mix 8 eggs, 4 cups of whole milk, 2 TBSP of worchestershire sauce, 2 TBSP of dry mustard, a couple good shakes of cayenne pepper, 2 teaspoons of salt and a couple good shakes of pepper. You can add onion powder or garlic powder if you want but it doesn't really need it. I don't use it.

Pour all of this over the bread and cheese -- set in the refrigerator overnight. Bake at 350 uncovered for one hour. It cuts into nice squares and is a perfect side with ham.

Old 04-02-2018, 01:15 PM

17,330 posts, read 33,013,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrannyBear View Post
Hahaha. Sorry I got busy and just came back today.

We had the meal and the cheese pit was very delicious. The recipe came from my late sweet mother-in-law and it goes great with ham. Here it is:

Take 10 slices of nice good WHITE bread -- I use Sara Lee Artesano and butter one side each with REAL butter.

Cut the bread into cubes. Layer one half of the cubes in a BUTTERED pyrex dish. Cover the bread with 2 cups of GOOD sharp cheddar cheese. Repeat the process with cheese on top. Don't scrimp on the cheese because it is the highlight of the dish.

Mix 8 eggs, 4 cups of whole milk, 2 TBSP of worchestershire sauce, 2 TBSP of dry mustard, a couple good shakes of cayenne pepper, 2 teaspoons of salt and a couple good shakes of pepper. You can add onion powder or garlic powder if you want but it doesn't really need it. I don't use it.

Pour all of this over the bread and cheese -- set in the refrigerator overnight. Bake at 350 uncovered for one hour. It cuts into nice squares and is a perfect side with ham.
Oh! This sounds like my 24-hour omelet! https://www.city-data.com/forum/recip...ur-omelet.html

Old 04-02-2018, 04:19 PM

19,429 posts, read 27,808,716 times
We did an Easter BBQ for a bunch of neighbors. We cooked the hambergers and ribs (thank you, IP!). They brought deviled eggs, a hot spinach dip, potato salad, pasta salad, corn, orange poppy seed cookies, gluten free brownies (which surprised the crap out of me - they were delicious!). And wine. Lots of wine.

A good time was had by all.

Old 04-08-2019, 04:42 PM

12,038 posts, read 8,403,014 times
Default Let's Talk about Seder and Easter Meals

What are your plans this year? Is there a special dish you are looking forward to having? Small or large or do you skip it altogether? Maybe you have a favorite restaurant?

I love to read about others' menus and plans.

Old 04-08-2019, 04:53 PM

5,847 posts, read 6,179,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lodestar View Post
What are your plans this year? Is there a special dish you are looking forward to having? Small or large or do you skip it altogether? Maybe you have a favorite restaurant?

I love to read about others' menus and plans.
I am a relatively non observant Jew who alternates every other year between hosting a small Seder for family and skipping it altogether. And when I say skipping it, I mean completely skipping and any and all work involved.

This year, my husband and I are leaving town the day after first Seder, and since family will be watching the kids, I'm going to do a simple and easy Seder "inspired" dinner. I'll make matzo ball soup and grab one box of Matzo for anyone who wants it. I'll make deviled eggs and I'll pick up a brisket from my favorite BBQ place. We'll go around the table and everyone can talk about why Passover is special to them. That's about it.

Old 04-08-2019, 04:54 PM

19,968 posts, read 30,200,655 times
im having a skinless shankless ham about 22lbs triple m brand....one of the best hams ive ever had..and maybe just maybe lobsters...

I was nominated to have the holiday dinner for the family...

Old 04-08-2019, 09:53 PM

12,038 posts, read 8,403,014 times
Although I've enjoyed delicatessen eating being from the Midwest I suspect I've never sampled the real deal. I wonder why the brisket is the meat of choice.

I know why the ham is and it's not a Christian tradition but rather dates further back. It's seasonal. That ham that was salted and cured back in the Fall is finally ready to be trotted out for a taste.

I have no doubts why your family chooses you to have the holiday dinner, mainebrokerman. I've read many of your menus. No one will lack for protein.

At the Lodestar house with the tiny Lodestar family we will continue the tradition although the expectations are all on yours truly and I am unsure if either of the adult kids will continue when I'm finally too addled and tired to carry on. Perhaps Chef Daughter will cook but chances are very good it won't be a traditional Easter meal.

Here's what I've planned:

Sour cream veggie dip with butter lettuce leaves, snap peas and baby carrots. I've got a few dynamite recipes I'd rather serve but the menfolk will gobble them all up and then complain they've spoiled their appetites. LOL

The ham, of course. I have daughter get one from an old ma and pa small town butcher shop, rub it with cloves and serve it with a pineapple relish.

Potatoes au gratin with sharp cheddar and heavy cream

Steamed asparagus spears with hollandaise sauce.

My mothers twenty-four hour fruit salad with a cooked lemony whipped cream dressing, royal Anne cherries, pineapple, mandarins, red grapes and slivered almonds. The kids will make fun of it. That's a tradition, too.

I think brown and serve rolls unless I get ambitious and make some.

For dessert I'm making a new recipe for a ricotta blueberry cake decorated with macaroons served with a scoop of sherbet.

I think I'll buy some tulips and daffodils for a centerpiece this year.

Old 04-09-2019, 03:29 AM

30,612 posts, read 18,192,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Ag 93 View Post
I am a relatively non observant Jew who alternates every other year between hosting a small Seder for family and skipping it altogether. And when I say skipping it, I mean completely skipping and any and all work involved.

This year, my husband and I are leaving town the day after first Seder, and since family will be watching the kids, I'm going to do a simple and easy Seder "inspired" dinner. I'll make matzo ball soup and grab one box of Matzo for anyone who wants it. I'll make deviled eggs and I'll pick up a brisket from my favorite BBQ place. We'll go around the table and everyone can talk about why Passover is special to them. That's about it.
That meal (and tradition) sound wonderful!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink