Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-10-2019, 09:38 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,797,202 times

Advertisements

As for traditional Easter dinner, I am not sure there is such a thing except as individual family's see it and this depends, obviously where you live.
For us: as a child we always had leg of lamb.
After marriage we switched to ham.
There was a time when we went to our "then" favorite buffet at a place in So. Ca, east of Los Angeles named Griswalds. I am not sure if they are still there even. They were in Claremont I think.

Now, our family is rather large so we do ham for our entree. There are between 13 and 16 of us. Every family brings something. I furnish the ham veggie side dish and potato salad. If our oldest granddaughter is here I have to have chicken for her as she does not like ham. She and hubby will be on cruise this year.
With the ham will be

green beans but not green bean casserole. If we are going to have it at all we do that for Thanksgiving
If I don't do the beans I will do asparagus
DD is bringing her famous deviled eggs. What Easter is complete without them.
She is also bringing squash casserole
Our younger granddaughter will do her outstanding carrot cake.
our good friends, in fact she like my 3rd daughter is bringing a wonder fruit salad and bread.
Of course there will be plenty of scotch for the guys and plenty of wine for us gals and for the kids a fun Easter egg hunt.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2019, 01:25 PM

9,519 posts, read 14,754,662 times
We're shopping for brisket and neither of us is Jewish OR Christian. I hate ham.

Old 04-10-2019, 01:49 PM

1,831 posts, read 1,434,449 times
Mom, best friend (framily) and sister-in-law all have birthdays on 18, 20 and 22 April. So we're taking Mom to her favorite restaurant on her birthday. On friend's birthday, we're having fried chicken, mashed potatoes and gravy, salad, Mom's favorite cake (coconut lemon pudding), and friend's favorite cake (German chocolate). Sister's got health issues -- we asked what she could eat and this is the menu. Easter Sunday, friend is hosting the meal (don't know what it is, yet, but we're taking the leftover cakes along), then SIL has to fly home.

I expect a lot of waistband loosening...

Old 04-10-2019, 01:52 PM

130,487 posts, read 12,130,332 times
If we eat at home, it will be a leg of lamb. With all the regular sides ( roast potatoes & brussel sprouts)

Old 04-10-2019, 04:13 PM

2,033 posts, read 1,681,610 times
Not the least bit Jewish here, (even though all the neighbors on our street thought we were), but I love Jewish foods.
My mom used to clean the apartments of the widowed Jewish ladies on the Country Club Plaza, KCMO-when I was a child. I would go along and help when I could.
Mom ended up cooking quite a lot of the Jewish foods. As well as we had a delicious deli we could walk to.

ahh...memories.

Old 04-11-2019, 06:49 AM

1,934 posts, read 1,085,566 times
Crawfish are in season.

Old 04-11-2019, 08:41 AM

12,047 posts, read 8,436,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dogboa View Post
Crawfish are in season.
Haha. That's so very Dogboa of you. LOL

Old 04-11-2019, 04:31 PM

1,567 posts, read 1,188,229 times
For Easter Breakfast I have a raspberry strudel that I've been saving that I'll serve.

For Dinner hubby is making brisket, I am making twice baked potato casserole, asparagus, Hawaiian rolls, and deviled eggs.

For dessert I have a strawberry cream cheese trifle, that hubby adores, that I'll make.

Drinks will be Martinelli's apple cider.

Old 04-11-2019, 09:49 PM

88,623 posts, read 84,875,076 times
I want to go to everybody's house who posted on this thread.

Old 04-11-2019, 10:47 PM

12,229 posts, read 21,517,233 times
We have been invited to my aunt's house for Easter lunch. I don't know what she's serving, but it will be plentiful and good.

None of my Jewish side of the family live in our city so there's no seder to be invited to, darn it. Maybe when the baby is a little older I can muster up my own seder, but we're really not very religious. When my grandfather was still alive, we used a haggadah that was meant for children to run our seder meal, and he would still sometimes say "let's skip this part." I still had to find the matzoh when I was 25 years old as I was still the youngest in the family!

My very favorite part of a Passover meal is the charoset, which I make the Ashkenazi way with apples, cinnamon, walnuts, honey, and a splash of red wine (not Manischewitz, god help me).

There are a lot of charoset recipes from around the world here: https://www.momentmag.com/the-sweet-story-of-charoset/

Maybe I should volunteer to bring this delicious treat to the Easter lunch - would that be too weird?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink