Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-07-2018, 10:43 PM

6,150 posts, read 4,516,808 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoisite View Post
Thanks muchly. I didn't find the cookie recipe but I did find the Star Kay White rose extract online. Star Kay White Rose Extract 60ml

That extract is made with Bulgarian rose essential oil which is indeed the most expensive of all floral essential oils. I'm just guessing here but their extract might be composed of food grade vegetable glycerine with drops of rose oil infused into it. If you are ever feeling adventurous and experimental you could make your own cooking extracts with food grade glycerine (or alcohol) infused with drops of essential oils of your choice. You might have to use a less expensive substitute rose oil though, the cost of Bulgarian rose essential oil is definitely prohibitive.
It sounds like I should leave that to those who know what they're doing and it will end up costing me the same, but without tears.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TerraDown View Post
Zoisite, I think this is the recipe you are looking for:
https://cooking.nytimes.com/recipes/...ispahan-sables

That looks good NY, Thanks, I might try making those myself

LaBuenaVida, remember the clove-flavored chewing gum? I loved that stuff, haven't had it since the '60's.
Yes, that's the recipe, and if you can read the accompanying article, he has another concoction that includes litchi along with the rose and raspberry. So floral on floral, but light ones. I like litchi, I love rambutan, and if I ever get my hands on a fresh mangosteen I know I won't forget it. Those are all floral fruits and they make fine Asian candies and confections.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JrzDefector View Post
My favorite restaurant in my hometown led its extensive dessert menu every night with apple pie and a seasonal fruit cobbler. And the diner I frequented had a tome of pies and cakes with at least 5 kinds of apple pie, not including other fruits. Floral flavorings can be nice, but I don't really want them in my desserts - I much prefer them in my teas.
Black rose tea, made with rose petals, once made my knees buckle. It was a roasting hot humid east coast summer weather and they were giving free samples, iced, and I won't ever forget that first sip.

Otherwise, if you bake with rosemary, the house smells of lavender because I think they're related. And once upon a time I bought my mother black rose truffles from a high end chocolate shop and while she's not into sweets and not majorly taken with chocolate, she cut them into pieces to make them last longer even though she said you couldn't really taste the rose, it was like an essence, and that's what happened to me with the tea. I felt it with so many senses at once it was amazing.

To me, florals are just another branch of herbals and when people know how to use them properly, they have just as important a place in food as anything else that grows.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2018, 02:09 AM

943 posts, read 782,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoisite View Post
I don't really understand what you're asking me. "How so" what? Are you asking me how it is that some people have more refined and sophisticated palates, or are you asking why it is that rose is more refined and sophisticated than chocolate?

Chocolate is an oily, heavy, overpowering, robust and cloying flavour that is delicious and has wonderfully good mouth feel but it clings to the taste buds and the lining of the mouth and throat for too long. It's so robust and long lasting that it can even go well with and be complemented by chili peppers without being overpowered by the chili. It is not refined and is therefore suitable to people with less refined palates and/or with poorly developed taste buds. Chocolate is very appealing to children for example. They don't have well developed taste buds yet (that comes with growth) and they don't have sophisticated tastes (that comes with older age and education).

Rose is such a light, airy, delicate almost fruity citrus flavour that it may be barely perceptible to people who have poorly developed taste buds, less refined palates and are better satisfied by much stronger or overpowering flavours. Rose is more appealing to adults with highly developed taste buds and the sophisticated training in how to use not only the taste buds on the top of the tongue but on all sides of the tongue and all other parts of the mouth to detect the varieties, nuances, shades of flavour available in a single flavour or a multitude of flavours at once. People with such heightened senses may tend to find delicate flavours more appealing than robust flavours that overpower the senses.

A person's sense of taste and choice of flavours has nothing to do with whether or not that person is in their right mind and it shouldn't be suggested that a person is not in their right mind to prefer a delicate and airy flavour like rose over a robust and cloying flavour like chocolate.

I like both rose and chocolate in moderation. I like a variety of flowers for cooking and flavouring and I grow many types of different flavoured flowers specifically for that purpose. Some of them are strong enough they even go very well with chocolate.

This is all subjective. You are failing at being pretentious.

Old 01-08-2018, 02:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrandviewGloria View Post
Sugar makes a lot of us sick (particularly those of us who are not white). High-fat sweets, like ice cream, custard, and chocolate candies, make us less sick. The fat blunts the effect of the sugar.

By late childhood, most of us, consciously or subconsciously, had learned which candies/desserts made us feel good, and which ones made us feel horrible.

We may associate fruity flavors, with the hard candies which made us sickest, fastest. I know I do. Just the whiff I get from passing a noob "bodybuilder" mixing up a batch of Cherry-flavored "protein drink" makes me want to vomit. Fruity-scented cheap air fresheners nauseate me, too.

And that leads me to something else. Americans were the first society fed by industrialized food. Most of us were fed "fruit" pies, made with "fruit" fillings which came from factories. We were given candies which had artificial "fruit" flavors. Pies, jellies, pastries, and candies, were all made with a combination of citric acid, corn starch, artificial flavors, artificial colors, and SUGAR. We associate fruit flavors with factory-made, cheap, fake POISON - and the way that factory-made, cheap, fake POISON made us feel.

Floral flavors simply do not lend themselves to the sort of mass production and long shelf life expected in America. They're just too delicate.

Europeans, on the other hand, are perhaps more accustomed to pies and pastries made from actual fruits made by actual human hands. The raspberry fillings may actually come from actual raspberries. The apple pie may contain apples straight from a tree, unlike American "apple filling", which is mostly starch and sugar, and apples which have been cooked practically forever (then cooked AGAIN, when the pie is made).
You don't know what you are talking about. Real fruit filling is standard outside of packaged food in the US. Just because you only eat from the supermarket packaged aisle doesn't mean most Americans do.

Old 01-08-2018, 02:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
Right on.

I made an apple pie recently. With, you know, real apples. That I had to peel, cut up, and cook, with real sugar and real butter and all that good stuff. And it wasn't even that difficult. I've honestly never bought a can of apple pie filling (or any other pie filling that I can think of) in my life. I live in the south - we have tons of fresh fruit and veggies available all year.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bondaroo View Post
We do? News to me.

I suppose I could have false memories of going to the apple orchard in the fall to buy bushels of apples right off the tree. Of going to the UPick berry farms for strawberries and raspberries. Going out into the bush to find wild blueberries (keeping one eye out for the bears looking for the same berries!). And trips to the grocery store other times to grab whatever fruit my mom would make into pies or strudels or crisps. I learned how to make all of those from her, and made my latest apple crisp yesterday.

In other words, just because you have a certain experience does not make it universal.
Poor man/woman lives in a food desert. That is the only reason he/she is saying this. He/she sounds like those annoying Americans who think all things foreign are better. They think because they traveled that they are so much more cultured than the "typical" American.

Old 01-08-2018, 03:58 AM

13,754 posts, read 13,322,930 times
Oh! I forgot about the dandelion/rosemary cookies I made last spring!

Old 01-08-2018, 07:47 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,925,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moionfire View Post
Poor man/woman lives in a food desert. That is the only reason he/she is saying this. He/she sounds like those annoying Americans who think all things foreign are better. They think because they traveled that they are so much more cultured than the "typical" American.
Apparently when they traveled, they didn't tour a European supermarket, where they would find tons of junk and canned goods and "fruit fillings" and all that jive either. Believe me, it's there in abundance.

So is chocolate by the way. And chips galore - unless one wants to call them "crisps."

Old 01-08-2018, 08:51 AM

4,413 posts, read 3,472,468 times
Hmm, here in Atlanta I recently ate a rice pudding dessert made with beets and durian and not a bit of chocolate anywhere. Go figure.

Old 01-08-2018, 09:04 AM

37,617 posts, read 45,996,704 times
Who the heck eats roses? Blech.

Old 01-08-2018, 09:34 AM

3,452 posts, read 4,927,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChessieMom View Post
Who the heck eats roses? Blech.
Many cultures do. This is precisely the kind of attitude I was referring to. Widen your palate and your perspective beyond the confines of oreos and peanut butter. You're missing out on a whole world (literally!) of flavors.

France: Pierre Hermé's classic Ispahan macaron recipe - Telegraph

India: https://food.ndtv.com/food-drinks/gu...oolant-1711482

Iran: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gaz_(candy)

And unlike the above three, a savory use in Tunisia: Recipe: Baharat (Tunisia) Baharat-A Tunisian Spice Mix

German marzipan uses rose as a flavoring too.

Another good read about France, Iran and their love of rose in food: à table | French Cooking Recipes | Travel | at Home | chef Lisa Baker Morgan » Blog Archive » rose water and saffron pistachio ice cream

Doesn't "rosewater and saffron pistachio ice cream" sound a million times better than "cookie dough ice cream" or "double chocolate triple fudge quintuple peanut butter ice cream"?

However, thanks all for the responses. I take no offense and appreciate everyone's perspective.

Maybe it's an Old World vs New World thing. On the surface, there is nothing in common between France, India, Iran and Tunisia, except that they are all Old World countries.

Last edited by arctic_gardener; 01-08-2018 at 09:46 AM..

Old 01-08-2018, 09:37 AM

29,746 posts, read 34,389,499 times
this has probably already been mentioned, but vanilla is from a kind of orchid, right? Most desserts I make definitely make use of that particular floral essence.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink