Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-17-2018, 08:44 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,925,505 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lodestar View Post
I like lots of choices for dessert. *Grin* You sound ambitious, Kathryn.

Sent DH to buy a non-injected turkey. He said he couldn't find one in the 16-18 lb. range that I asked for so we got one that is a little smaller. Today I see on my home page that Millennials are changing the trend by buying smaller turkeys.

Rascally Millennials strike again!
Haha!

Well to be honest, my sister in law is bringing the pumpkin pie. We are going to buy the pecan pie. The buttermilk pie is super easy to make. So the rum cake is the biggest deal and it's really not that hard.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2019, 05:34 AM

30,638 posts, read 18,227,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
my generation is starting to take over holidays and thanksgiving is mine. i hate turkey, so turkey isnt provided. it seems my aunt remembers that turkey wasnt provided so she is bringing turkey. i dont expect many people to eat the turkey, im getting better food.
I LOVE turkey and can't think of Thanksgiving without it. Note, I'll have other meats, too, but the bird is a must.

Old 02-24-2019, 05:46 AM

2,955 posts, read 1,412,860 times
I love turkey any day of the year.

Old 02-24-2019, 09:06 AM

19,969 posts, read 30,222,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taffee72 View Post
I love turkey any day of the year.
if they made candle scent of a cooking turkey i'd buy it..

I bought 8 frozen turkeys right before thanksgiving ...to put in my freezer .. at .39lb

think ill take one out today to thaw

Old 02-24-2019, 09:43 AM

9,868 posts, read 7,702,413 times
Turkey is something I do not want to cook. Aside from the sheer quantity of meat (retiree household), doing it up right, old-school, means too many components for me to handle. I sure do miss the ubiquitous full roast turkey dinners that were so common year ‘round in New England restaurants. Those kinds of dinners are rare birds in Colorado. Maybe true for many other areas, too. It seems like slow-cooked meals are becoming almost dodo birds.

All-day, made-from-scratch meals have almost flown the coop. I should raise a squawk about it. But I am too chicken.

Oh, 7734. This post started as a serious post but I got carried away by a flight of fancy.

Old 02-24-2019, 10:10 AM

9,153 posts, read 9,492,874 times
I cooked a turkey in January and just used up the last of the frozen slices plus frozen gravy. It was still delicious. I just made some buttered toast and heated up a few slices in the gravy and dumped it over. Delicious! I think I still have a container of gravy that I need to use. Doubt it'll keep till next fall.

That said, I hate cooking it because it is a mess for days. I simmered up the carcass to make broth which I'm now using in soups, so that extended the messy kitchen by a few days.

I was thinking about just buying a breast to roast but they're so expensive here. I'm keeping an eye on sales.

Old 02-24-2019, 01:51 PM

30,638 posts, read 18,227,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LillyLillyLilly View Post
I cooked a turkey in January and just used up the last of the frozen slices plus frozen gravy. It was still delicious. I just made some buttered toast and heated up a few slices in the gravy and dumped it over. Delicious! I think I still have a container of gravy that I need to use. Doubt it'll keep till next fall.

That said, I hate cooking it because it is a mess for days. I simmered up the carcass to make broth which I'm now using in soups, so that extended the messy kitchen by a few days.

I was thinking about just buying a breast to roast but they're so expensive here. I'm keeping an eye on sales.
I've tried that, but it wasn't the same! I think the lack of the other parts coming together (juices and all) via a whole bird changed things.

Old 11-10-2022, 06:15 PM

211 posts, read 140,378 times
Default My Turkey Always Comes Out BLAND

What spices do you put on these things to make 'em taste good?

Old 11-10-2022, 07:16 PM

10,864 posts, read 6,480,995 times
thats why they have gravy.
I never care much for turkey,it is tasteless,
may be cook with some chicken broth??

Old 11-10-2022, 07:20 PM

3,605 posts, read 9,059,576 times
Brining helps. If I bother to make a turkey I coat it in chipotle powder and cumin and have it for a day or two and then turn it into enchiladas. I stopped making it a couple years ago and started going with duck instead.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink